Has anyone thought about how little we know?

Zoolooman

Veteran XV
T:V must have a tremendous and very in-depth design document. Just consider T1 and T2; the inventory system and the way the items interacted, alongside the built in tools the player is provided, such as zoom, the command map, the flag waypoints...

I'm sure most of it can be simplified and streamlined, but even then, we've barely scratched the surface.

Here is my list of what we know:

1. Running is "analog". Meaning you run downhill, you run faster. Run uphill, you run slower.
2. Skiing has no speed-cap.
3. Light is super light, medium is light, and heavy is heavier.
4. There is the Rocket Pod.
5. The sniper rifle now has ammo requirements.
6. There is a grenade launcher, chaingun and disc launcher.
7. The blaster is likely an energy shotgun.
8. The plasma gun is likely replaced by a flamethrower called the burner.
9. There is a rover.
10. There might be a jump-tank (viewed from concept, nothing more.)
11. There might be a mortar (viewed from concept, nothing more.)
12. All packs have passive and active functions.
13. All packs have p-enery (pack only energy) that is unrelated to j-energy (jetpack energy).
14. The energy pack is just the same as the old one, except has a passive ability activatable when p-energy is full, which causes a small boot in movement.
15. The repair pack.
16. There will be CTF.
17. There are three tribes.
18. There are other packs, as yet unrevealed.
19. There might be other weapons, as yet unrevealed.
20. There is a SP campaign with multiple characters played out in a chapter by chapter format.
21. The female lead is named Julia.
22. There will be IFF signals.
23. There won't be a missile launcher or shocklance.
24. No derms.
25. No T2 style flag waypoints.
26. The HUD will be somehow customizable.

We know nothing else, and that means we know very little, because those 26 facts are only a tiny smattering of the knowledge one could distill from the design of a Tribes game.

A year left to go; they still have a LOT to tell us.

I'm sure I left some points out. So add your own to the list. What do we know about T:V? I'm sure it is very little compared to what we don't know.

Some quick ones come to mind:

Waypoints.
Command map.
Air vehicles.
The tank?
Flag pointers.
Weapons.
Packs.
Gametypes.
Recordings.
Options.
Single-player (EVERYTHING).

And all the nuances involved in those things.

they might replace the mortar with something else heavy-only.

i think i saw weas or panda mention a mortar though.

i bet they fucking forget the command map altogether.

hm, well here's something...
pertaining to that deathspam thread.. i'm not sure if they will include that or not, but in one of the videos(cant remember which) you can see when someone dies while their jetpack is on, it stays on dragging the corpse all over the place..
or did they change that?

I'm not going to say anything that implies I am telling people what should or should not be in the game. If Ed Orman has a good design, if KP has a good design, if Thrax's and Marweas's and whomever's influences on the design are good (if they influenced Orman), then the game will be good.

I won't attempt to argue about the unbalanced nature of anything that I haven't even been able to try.

And I won't claim the mortar exists until they've said it will.

pyrot3chnic said:
hm, well here's something...
pertaining to that deathspam thread.. i'm not sure if they will include that or not, but in one of the videos(cant remember which) you can see when someone dies while their jetpack is on, it stays on dragging the corpse all over the place..
or did they change that?

I'm getting the feeling deathspam wasn't intended for this game, and its nonexistance was taken into account.

But that jetpack staying on looked like a great idea for death animations.

yea, same here--looked kinda cool in the video.

then there's the sniper rifle, i really like the idea of having bullets for it.. i dunno why, it just sounds better than a plain laser.. a laser accelerated bullet.

We also have:
-Rag Doll Physics.
-In depth recording system because the Unreal engine supports it.
-Auto jump-jet. (not sure if it will be a toggle though)

Everything we do know usually creates more questions then answers. :\

FireStarter said:
We also have:
-Rag Doll Physics.
-In depth recording system because the Unreal engine supports it.
-Auto jump-jet. (not sure if it will be a toggle though)

Everything we do know usually creates more questions then answers. :\

From what was said in the thread, it is a keybind, so it should be easy enough to be turned off (i.e seperate keys for jump and jet) for those who want to. I personaly don't see what anyone would bother.

Beren said:
From what was said in the thread, it is a keybind, so it should be easy enough to be turned off (i.e seperate keys for jump and jet) for those who want to. I personaly don't see what anyone would bother.
This is a random thread to talk about this in particular, but...you're coming at a flag on an elevated stand, such as the SH tower. You land, grab, and might have to jet-strafe. But you often want to fall downward after grabbing, say, to fall into the SH bowl.

In this situation you *don't* want to automatically jump-jet when you jet-strafe because the extra vertical impulse is undesirable. You want to stay level with the floor so you can fall downward more quickly when you're off it.

It's an advanced situation, sure, but it bugs the hell out of me. So yeah, this'll be toggleable,
KP

KineticPoet said:
This is a random thread to talk about this in particular, but...you're coming at a flag on an elevated stand, such as the SH tower. You land, grab, and might have to jet-strafe. But you often want to fall downward after grabbing, say, to fall into the SH bowl.

In this situation you *don't* want to automatically jump-jet when you jet-strafe because the extra vertical impulse is undesirable. You want to stay level with the floor so you can fall downward more quickly when you're off it.

It's an advanced situation, sure, but it bugs the hell out of me. So yeah, this'll be toggleable,
KP
That's why I don't use JumpJet. Too many situtations playing LD, where I would rather "slide" right or left, then jump/jet. :)

I just have to quote Donald Rumsfeld on this one ... ppl thought he was talking about Iraq, but he is a secret T:V fan!! :p

Donald Rumsfeld said:
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know"

i'm guessing unreal already has a t2tv type of program, so that shouldn't be a problem when t:v comes out.. hell it'll probably be made when the beta comes out.

Back