mad cap challenge

LouCypher

Veteran X
Take any standard CTF map. Change targetting laser to teleport beam, just fire to teleport to LOS. Player beacons are teleport pads. Between caps they can toggle teleport pad to spawn at while in observer mode. Spawn with favorites, no teams.

Flags continuously respawn on the flag stand. Player can grab either flag and time is measured between grab and cap.

Scoring options to award points for caps or some kind time trial, and maybe 10 points/cap and 1 point/kill on flag carrier. Turrets are disabled and base assets are invulnerable to damage.

Chikaze said:
So I grab the flag, and teleport to my flag?
Nope. You just keep trying to cap as fast as possible, scoring points or going for best time. The teleport pads define available spawn points. That would be where you start your cap run and you could switch between then like you do camera views in observer mode now. It doesn't matter which flag you grab, or where you choose to spawn.

It would be all about capping the flag and/or stopping flag carriers as opposed to worrying about turrets or your base being trashed.

Maybe you could award kills only if the victime was in a certain proximity to the flag, for HoF practice, but really it shouldn't be about kills or destroying static objects.

sp5.jpg

LouCypher said:
Nope. You just keep trying to cap as fast as possible, scoring points or going for best time. The teleport pads define available spawn points. That would be where you start your cap run and you could switch between then like you do camera views in observer mode now. It doesn't matter which flag you grab, or where you choose to spawn.

It would be all about capping the flag and/or stopping flag carriers as opposed to worrying about turrets or your base being trashed.

Maybe you could award kills only if the victime was in a certain proximity to the flag, for HoF practice, but really it shouldn't be about kills or destroying static objects.
ok...grab the flag
fire the targetting lazer to right next to my flag
bamf I'm there
cap
fire the targetting lazer to back to where I was OR just put a beacon right next to the nme lazer.

And this sounds incredibly like drinkmod.

Chikaze said:
ok...grab the flag
fire the targetting lazer to right next to my flag
bamf I'm there
cap
fire the targetting lazer to back to where I was OR just put a beacon right next to the nme lazer.

And this sounds incredibly like drinkmod.
I never played DrinkMod, so dunno. The beacons and targetting laser only set spawn points, it isn't an instant thing when you have the flag. The purpose would be to cap, so you can't drop or teleport when you have the flag. If you die the flag respawns on the stand. If you aren't pointing at the ground and use the beacon key it would teleport to the next beacon, 4 locations max (3 beacons + last laser target).

When you didn't have the flag you COULD just point next to the flag stand and teleport. That wouldn't get you much speed on a grab, which would be the point if going for fastest cap.

Imagine a skate park-like environment where EVERYONE is going for the flags trying to outdo each other on routes and fastest caps. The targetting laser teleport would be useful because you could just point to someone else's location and go to their route start.

Turn off player object collisions and maybe give bonuses for creative midair collisions where a body block passes the flag and gives points, and the former carrier passes through the new carrier.

If both players have flags and run into each other midfield, the faster player steals the slower player's flag.

drink mod is just like normal ctf with 1 exception:

When you drop a beacon, you can teleport to it. You can goto any beacon on your team.

The teleport thing is number 1 on your tab menu. Pressing tab 1 gives you a list of beacons to teleport to. You will land directly atop the beacon, even if this puts you inside other player or building models, or below the ground.

When you teleport, you get your faves (tab 2 is how you pick your faves) and all health restored. If you had the flag, it'll drop wherever you were before you teleported.

Drink mod was designed for exactly what you're talking about. Capper practice.

Then there's the Duckhunt maps for practice shooting and blocking incoming cappers and ho, etc.

Now that you describe Drink Mod it does sound very similar. I just trying to imagine some form of CTF where it's all about the flags, and not a matter of base/gen/turret stats.

The differences being you can't pass your flag and it returns to the flag stand when you die. You can steal a player's flag by running into them if you are travelling faster.

The gametype could be played with or without teams. If not played with two teams, everyone is on their own team, neither Storm or Inferno. If they grab either flag first, they are designated as a carrier for that team. You could steal a flag from any carrier, but could only cap your flag(s) on the opposing team stand. You grab Inferno's flag first, all subsequent flags stolen must also be carried to the Storm flag stand to cap.

In a way it draws elements from CTF + Hunters + TR2. I think something like this or DrinkMod would be a nice addition to T:V, since all the other gametypes fall short of providing grab/cap practice.

Shoddy said:
SpawnCTF does this, no?
SpawnCTF forces everyone to use the same loadout and disables turrets. It removes base assets but has no adjustments to score or other aspects of CTF gameplay.

This gametype would have spawn favorites like LakRabbit. Turrets would be disabled and base assets would be indestructible since there is no reason to remove them.

Chikaze said:
In drinkmod, you can also destroy or repair your or the enemy's bases.

It's also a good ho training mod.
HO can train playing Siege, CnH, DnD. Cappers that want to practice routes have to join an empty server or deal with all the bullshit of regular pub play, where half the players don't give a shit about the objective and just want to duel or practice other skills.

If this gametype were implemented I wouldn't want to see much (if any) emphasis on things not directly related to flag capture. Players want the reward of points for their achievements, which is why pub CTF is ruined with lack of teamwork and the reason why NoScoreCTF didn't succeed. It would be more about capturing the flag the our present form of CTF.

Back