sniper ammo question

I think 5 shots is good for an LD, and bad for an o sniper. O snipers generally miss around 3 shots or so before they can get a kill, and it's usually a heavy they're aiming at. LD will be able to get kills of cappers who are getting away, but would have to be catious not to burn their ammo on incommings if there are no invs near by.

I think think they'll have locational specific damage (I don't really see the point of it in a long range game like tribes). How many shots does it take to kill a light? I would say 2, right? So that's at least 2 guys you can kill an 1 you can maim.

In my opinon, the sniper rifle is something that should reserved in the specific case if the capper is getting too far away. If you have 10 shots to thorw around, you're really not going to worry too much about burning ammo on incommings. One thing I've always hated is how you can get 5 LD snipers sitting on top of a base -- not one of them engages you, and they really have no reason to.

Considering that sniper shots in Tribes aren't one shot kills, and considering that they do roughly 2/3rds dmg, I'd say that 10 shots basic and 20 with an ammo pack would be fine. 10 shots lets an LD make an impact without whoring an inv with decent shots are incoming cappers/etc, but also prevents the LD from *just* using a rifle. (Unless they whore an inv). Something like 5 shots would be completely stupid for the type of gameplay a tribes rifle was designed for. So yeah, 10 without ammo pack, 20 with.

Before anyone screams about me saying 20 with an ammo pack, unless the active function of an ammo pack totally blows away anything we've thought of, the ammo pack needs every single benefit ammo wise that it can be given. It was barely used in most cases, except for spamming or an HD laying out mines.

Sir Lucius said:
20 shots with ammo? Really, the point of ammo is to deter o snipers, and I don't see how have 20 or even 10 shots does that at all.
are you kiding me? 20 shots isnt much. also if you take an ammo pack on offense youre more vulnerable to epack toting light D. 20 shots goes real fast.

to do the most damage your gonna need a energy pack anyway. its not like a lot of sipers are gonna equip an ammo pack. so it sounds stupid to limit the ammo to such a small amount. 10 shots only? with a 2 shot minimum to kill a light armor. plus figuring in a 20-30% miss rate. what are you gonna kill 3 people? Thats not preventing O sniping...its called screwing over the sniper role.

|zVx|Teflon said:
to do the most damage your gonna need a energy pack anyway. its not like a lot of sipers are gonna equip an ammo pack. so it sounds stupid to limit the ammo to such a small amount. 10 shots only? with a 2 shot minimum to kill a light armor. plus figuring in a 20-30% miss rate. what are you gonna kill 3 people? Thats not preventing O sniping...its called screwing over the sniper role.
the disc only has 15, does about the same damage. IMO 15 would be an ideal number for the sniper too. thats plenty of shots for defense and more than enough to piss off lazy LD if you go O.

i hope someone official can comment on what their initial thoughts are.

15 without ammo pack sounds good, but an ammo pack should only add 10 more. 25 shots is more than enough (might even be too much for O snipers)

Amadeu5 said:
15 without ammo pack sounds good, but an ammo pack should only add 10 more. 25 shots is more than enough (might even be too much for O snipers)
if you cant kill an o sniper you suck. if you cant kill an epackless o sniper you suck even more.

MaD_ReBeL said:
if you cant kill an o sniper you suck. if you cant kill an epackless o sniper you suck even more.
The problem is that a lot of people just don't go after o snipers, especially those pussy ones that are very far away and immediately act like Brave Sir Robin at the sight of an incoming enemy. Sure, almost anyone can kill them, but it isn't always worth the struggle: in fact, with this system almost noone will get an o sniper unless he's really annoying (read: good), since he'll run out of ammo anyway.

Using the previous games as an example, if 3 disc kill a light, and 2 shots from the laser rifle kill a light, then the rifle takes 2/3 of the ammo it takes to make the kill.

IF you have 15 discs I don't see why you would EVER have more than 10 shots on the sniper rifle.

Sir Lucius said:
Using the previous games as an example, if 3 disc kill a light, and 2 shots from the laser rifle kill a light, then the rifle takes 2/3 of the ammo it takes to make the kill.

IF you have 15 discs I don't see why you would EVER have more than 10 shots on the sniper rifle.

because the disk
a) has splash damage and can hit multiple people at once.
b) can be used against deployables (try sniping a gen to death..and see how fast that works.)
c) is more effective in 1 on 1

the spinfusor is a better all around weapon than the sniper rifle. thats why its ammo is lower.

Back