News: Snipers in High Res

Colosus

my pronouns are..
Veteran XX
Adam 'Menzo' Kahn again showed his love for TribalWar by sending us the unaltered super <a href="http://www.tribalwar.com/media/index.php?catid=55">high resolution</a> images from the latest <a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> article.

He also forwarded us the exact quotes about the sniper rifle and two packs in order to try and alleviate any concerns and clarify misconceptions.

PACKS:

All armors can carry additional upgrade "packs" to enhance their battlefield abilities. All packs have passive and active effects. Simply having a pack equipped provides a benefit. You can also trigger additional related powers at strategic moments.

Packs run off their own internal charge which regenerates over time, and are not linked to the suit's energy. They are worn on the hips, and can be seen from the front or back. Among the most commonly used are:

ENERGY PACK

This pack contains a small auxiliary power plant which recharges armor energy faster than normal when worn. Increased energy recharge leads to greater mobility and speed, higher flight ceiling, and increased effectiveness of energy weapons.

The auxiliary energy can also be force-dumped through the jetpack to provide a sharp acceleration boost in the direction the armor is facing. This lets you suddenly change direction, can help with braking (face backwards along your current trajectory and hit it), or provide a boost to help you crest a tall hill. The boost is not as powerful as the disc-jump maneuver, but it doesn't blow your feet off either.

REPAIR PACK

When equipped the repair pack manufactures nanorgs that regenerate both armor and user at a slow but constant rate. This effectively extends longevity, but requires the user to plan strategic withdrawals from combat, because it's not invulnerability.

When the pack is at full capacity, a small blast of energy disperses the nanorgs in a radius around the armor. The tiny repair machines will begin to work on any friendly object within that field (the same way a health kit works). Players can start repairs on a damaged object, then move on to another one while the repairs complete. Passing friendlies can move near the repairing armor to get some healing, without the repairing player having to target them specifically.

Sniper Rifle:

The sniper rifle is a single-shot direct-fire weapon that launches a projectile along a superheated beam of energy to deliver critical shots across amazing range. The rifle burns all available armor energy when firing, using it to make the projectile travel faster. The more energy used per shot, the harder the projectile hits, doing more damage. Firing the sniper rifle creates a highly visible trail of energy, so change locations after every shot.

is this rifle going to work like the TFC rifle, where you charge it up by holding fire, then release to actually fire?

Tycho said:
is this rifle going to work like the TFC rifle, where you charge it up by holding fire, then release to actually fire?

Nope, your energy charges it. You just fire it when it's at full for max damage. It's very much like the T1/T2 laser rifle, but with ammo in addition to the laser beam.

|zVx|Teflon said:
energy pack not needed to snipe anymore?
in that case i hope they keep the cloak pack. :D

You can snipe, but you won't do as much damage without the e-pack.

And I'm almost 100% certain the cloak pack is gone.

Yogi said:
You can snipe, but you won't do as much damage without the e-pack.

And I'm almost 100% certain the cloak pack is gone.
Not sure how i feel about that.
On one hand, sneaking around in the enemy base w/ a cloak pack was pretty fun. On the other hand, it was also fairly pointless in T2.
What with the blaring sound it made and all. :ugh:
I hope there is going to be some form of stealthy infiltration type gameplay in T:V. It would be a shame to just ditch that whole play style by the roadside. :(

Neek said:
Not sure how i feel about that.
On one hand, sneaking around in the enemy base w/ a cloak pack was pretty fun. On the other hand, it was also fairly pointless in T2.
What with the blaring sound it made and all. :ugh:
I hope there is going to be some form of stealthy infiltration type gameplay in T:V. It would be a shame to just ditch that whole play style by the roadside. :(

Sensor jammer pack will get rid of that obtrusive red triangle. The bases are pretty big this time around, so if you kill the gens you should be able to hide out fairly well.

They're big so you can fly around in them. They're not big in the sense that they're a maze of halls that lead to stupid, meaningless rooms that all look the same.

I'm a little concerned about the repair pack's functionality. If the "nanorg" effect stacks, watch out. Imagine a group of five people all spamming their repair packs near a HoF. Or imagine a bunch of people inside a base all repairing a generator.

Assuming the repair would need to be fast enough to get a base up in a reasonable amount of time, this could get pretty messy pretty quickly.

The problem is that for the effect to be useful, the regeneration from a single pack needs to be visible. But if this effect is visible, multiply that regen rate by 5 people using the pack and it would suck. It is possibly a broken game mechanic due to stacking.

Of course there are various ways to remedy this (eg. diminishing returns for each person that stacks the repair pack or the nanorgs deactivating if you get shot) but its still an interesting situation.

Last edited:
Not any more than 5 people repairing with the old gun repair packs. Except this pack is more useful. It's already easy to kill people in Tribes, and HO train was always effective. If the D doesn't have mine disc, it would at least have this.

Zoolooman said:
Not any more than 5 people repairing with the old gun repair packs. Except this pack is more useful. It's already easy to kill people in Tribes, and HO train was always effective. If the D doesn't have mine disc, it would at least have this.
Ah, but the thing with that is you have to be actively repairing the HoF to get any use out of it in Tribes. This new pack is not an active pack ala T1/T2, but a passive "repair over time" ability. It would not be hard to sit around the flag, wait for your pack to charge up, and as soon as it does jump down by the HoF and give him a shot of nanorgs then fly back. It is however, very difficult to sit there and repair a heavy with a repair beam while he is taking fire.

Two very different game mechanics.

Last edited:
Back