Vehicle Pad queue

S

Spigz

I was just going through some old demos and it struck me that one thing I really hate about T2 is the delay caused by vehicles that haven't quite moved from the pad. This isn't just idiots who buy vehicles and loiter without a clue! There is also a slightly irritating delay between say two shrikes; they might be the fastest vehicle off the block, but the second shriker still will be held up for a couple of seconds.

I know its not the end of the world, and that the pads are going to be different - but any ideas on how the delay between vehicles/spawning is going to be - perhaps even multiple vehicle buying at the same time? I reckons you could do a funky Battlestar Gallactica number with a couple of pad 'tubes' to fly down ;) [apologies to ne1 not old enuff to remember Starbuck b4 he opened all those coffee shops :F]

So basically we'll get a bunch of TKing for vehicles and half a dozen morons standing around doing jack shit. That's probably the worst thing about 1942. :\

Spigz said:
I was just going through some old demos and it struck me that one thing I really hate about T2 is the delay caused by vehicles that haven't quite moved from the pad. This isn't just idiots who buy vehicles and loiter without a clue! There is also a slightly irritating delay between say two shrikes; they might be the fastest vehicle off the block, but the second shriker still will be held up for a couple of seconds.

I know its not the end of the world, and that the pads are going to be different - but any ideas on how the delay between vehicles/spawning is going to be - perhaps even multiple vehicle buying at the same time? I reckons you could do a funky Battlestar Gallactica number with a couple of pad 'tubes' to fly down ;) [apologies to ne1 not old enuff to remember Starbuck b4 he opened all those coffee shops :F]

the Battlestar Galactica launch tubes might be funky ona map tho. hop in and the sucker accelerates you out like a catapult.

Uncle Silas said:
So basically we'll get a bunch of TKing for vehicles and half a dozen morons standing around doing jack shit. That's probably the worst thing about 1942. :\

Except bf1942 requires the use of vehicles. Really spawn and buy are not too differnt. You can just as easily have someone cut in line at a vehicle station or tk the person buying. The only people who would be wating around on their ass for a vehicle are newbie players and you wouldn't want to play with them anyways, so it's really not too big of a deal.

I hope you are right. Well for example, there seems to be less TKing over vehicles in Halo when it was first released than in BF42, but NOT less TKing in general.

Might have something to do with the way vehicles (where present) were usually THE deciding force on the field. The Shrike in particular.

Most Shrike whores would buy a shrike, fly around and blow up stuff... but then you had Shrike Cappers who'd ditch thier shrike at will (no penalty for simply ramming it into a wall...) to grab. Even if the attempt was unsuccessful, they had another shrike in the air seconds after they spwaned.

By using spawned vehicles, there may actually be a penalty for "cheap use" of a vehicle... ie., loss of that vehicle for a period of time...

Of course, I'm not part of the Dev team, so everything I just said was talking out my ass... but my ass sounds very learned from time to time...

Hmmm - if they spawn in a location all the time, whats to stop LRS/disc spam etc from just preventing vehicles from being used, seems kinda silly to me.

Yeah. If there are point whore problems in T2 now, imagine when you just get idiots destroying the freshly-spawned unmanned vehicles over and over again.

I liked the purchase system. It could use some modifications. Like not being made helpless while buying, even if only for a second.

sheesh.. not seen you here b 4 spigz!
;)

Foxy here :eek:
Still lurking in the Tribes scene :)

Slayer_Allen said:
Yeah. If there are point whore problems in T2 now, imagine when you just get idiots destroying the freshly-spawned unmanned vehicles over and over again.

I liked the purchase system. It could use some modifications. Like not being made helpless while buying, even if only for a second.
Maybe we could raise a T2 style force field around vehicle spawn points that lets friendly players go through without any loss of speed, but blocks enemies and projectiles. That would eliminate spawn camping.

Amadeu5 said:
Maybe we could raise a T2 style force field around vehicle spawn points that lets friendly players go through without any loss of speed, but blocks enemies and projectiles. That would eliminate spawn camping.

Better exclude flags from it, or it's a perfect turtle.

I dunno, I realize why they are spawning vehicles, but I never liked the idea. In tribes 4, will we have to find the spawns of our equipment and armor too?

Back