what res will the skin textures be at

Ya, I think that's right. But they're not "simple" textures. They have bump maps, and various other stuff that I don't know about. Check the Bittah DB for info on it.

it'd be cool if they did that option to allow people to use slide bars of teh three base colors to make any skin virtually any other color and you wouldn't need to d/l more than a kb of info with the three color values.

(does that make sense? i'm going to bed)

Thrax Panda said:
Ya, I think that's right. But they're not "simple" textures. They have bump maps, and various other stuff that I don't know about. Check the Bittah DB for info on it.

im gonna jizz my pants

*ahh* there we go

I only got into skinning way too late into T2.. and only then it was just personal stuff, not public or anything.. cant wait to get ahold of tv

a skinner I know is working on Starsiege:2845, a mod for TV. Here is a quote from him about skinning.

StarSeige:2845 ( or SS:2845) is gonna be a mod for tribes vengance.. the ss mod is set to be released with tribes vengance.
tribes vengance uses a modifide version of the unreal2 warfare engine.
the ss:2845 mod is fully sanctioned and supported by sierra and irrational games (the makers of tribes vengance)

skinning for TV is gonna be SOOO differant from what it is now...
the skin maps ive made for SS have been at a res of 2048x2048..
so i can only guess at the size the skin maps for TV are gonna be..
me personally... im looking forward to it

so yeah, the skins will be HIGH res. Compare a 2048 to a 512 in T2. 8o

2048X2048 in TV would be sixteen pixels for every pixel in the maximum detail level of Tribes 2, which doesn't look half bad to begin with.

Normal mapping involves rendering a higher poly model and then applying its lighting to a lower poly model via pixel shading. I don't think that it will be possible to make original normal maps unless you are making an original model.

It's also not just about resolution. I pulled this quote of Andrew James from the Bittah DB: "We can use any combination of the following Skin layers set up in a Shader: Diffuse, Opacity , NormalMap, PerPixelSpecular, SpecularityMask, PerPixelReflection, PerPixelReflectionMask, SelfIllumination, SelfIlluminationMask"

Back