They said they finished building all the single player levels right?(idea for TW too)

Sir Lucius

Veteran XX
Well that was a while ago, but one point of the single player campaign was to teach players how to use everything that will be in multiplayer. Well then if the multiplayer wasn't even done how did they do they single player levels? I suppose they had a rough plan with all major features they wanted to include, but I guess that also means it's pretty pointless to discuss anything innovative anymore.

That makes me feel dead inside, so here's an idea for a new section in tribalwar -- A mod developers page. Here's how it works: Traditionally if a mod team needed people they would post about it on a forum or get it listed as a news item. The big problem with this is that you don't get constant press, it's harder to find people. If you're building a team from nothing and all you have to go on is an idea people may consider it a high risk and not get involved. But there still may be people who want to get involved in projects nonetheless.

So I suggest creating a tribalwar modification resume page where people submit portfolios and then can flag if they're looking for work. You would basically check off your areas of expertise for easy search and sort such as: coder, skins, models, textures, huds, scripting, sounds, music, webmaster, etc. Then you could show some work via links. Other projects you've done, scripts you've written, skins you've created, and so on. Maybe even have a referal/rating system. Teams looking for people would have a wide variety to choose from, have people who were actually willing to help, and the ability to judge their skills.

The next step involves contact. If someone is listed as available, and they have high quality work, they will be a target of many projects. So then it is up to the lead devs of these projects to give them the best presentation they can to get them to join their team. It would work though a notification system, like private messages I guess. Tribalwar would have a mod page, with the current mods in development that are registared with the system. Each mod's page would show who the offical team members are, a description of the mod, and perhapes a progress bar and screenshots. Maybe include prototype links to the RDB. A person in the portfolio database would recieve the project invitation with the mod overview and a personal message from the lead dev and could decline working on the project, they could accept being on mod team (which would automatically add them to the mod status page), or they could reply they are interested (meaning they would like more information, but are not ready to join the team. They could accept or decline any time thereafter). A mod with high progress, a good team, or nice screenshots will be more likely sucessful than one that's just an idea and no team at all.

The portfolio database I would leave open to anyone who wants to submit. Even someone with sub-par skills deserves a chance to be picked for a team, they could learn something even if they are only picked out of desperation. The actual project page itself should also be open to anyone I think, but I worry about poor/dead projects clogging up the system. I'm sure yogi could do a clean sweep program or something to take care of it, and admins would have to keep a close eye to get clear out prank projects or non related material.

Anyways, this system promotes the production of quality minor mods and total coversions. Someone with a good reprutation or someone with preexisting, quality skills will be more likely to gain others of high abilities and promote the sucess of a quality mod overall. People with poorer skills will be less likely to gain the top quality people, but will still be able to pick from the lower skilled people which will result in a good learning expirence for all.

This may result in a cluster fuck of mods no one ever plays, but who knows, it may turn out a counter-strike and you know how much the weasel would like to have sex with that.

You have a good idea lucious, but TW has never been the place for mods. Polycount pretty much has that area cornered. It would take a lot of effort on TW's part to break into that area, which they really should because I've always found Tribes 1&2 lack in the mod department.

Personally, I want to make a snowboarding esque mod for T:V but I doubt it will ever happen. At least not with the current community.

I think its a good idea, especially now with a forum like TT, and new people not getting into GD. Formerly alot modders were unduely scorned here at TW IMO, and so it mightn't have worked to well; but these days it could work with some more new blood and vets who didn't like GD being able to visit more regularly.

I suppose a big part of the problem is that tribes isn't really popular enough. Quake has more people, thus chances are just higher quality mods will be produced. Plus quake, unreal and half life are marketed as mod games. Tribes mods could be unique in their freedom of movement though, I can see a snowboarding game falling into that.

This system is designed off the idea that there aren't so many people out there that someone will notice a project by chance, but instead it goes out of the way to find the people in the community who want to make mods. Really inside the community is the only place we can look, I don't think people are going to buy T:V to make mods, so we can only hope the game is a blockbuter hit.

My plan is to make a map that has a giant mountain and just see how fun it is racing someone down it. If it sucks, no big loss. If its fun... then I have to find a way to expand it and get enough interested people to help me.

T:V at least has a good, original mod already in developement for it and Irrational has discussed releasing developement tools to the public a few times, so who knows... maybe T:V will succeed where both T1 & T2 have failed. I really hope so.

TW giving the community a push in the right direction would definately help though :)

Colosus said:
I just can't wait to see how well they do the terrain editor in TribesEd. Cause the one in Unreal sucks. :)

n00b :D

(actualyl, i think it doesnt suck with some practice, but it sure isnt good... and i cant wait for TV)

Sir Lucius said:
This may result in a cluster fuck of mods no one ever plays, but who knows, it may turn out a counter-strike and you know how much the weasel would like to have sex with that.

:hitit:

Colosus said:
I just can't wait to see how well they do the terrain editor in TribesEd. Cause the one in Unreal sucks. :)

Thrax told me at UVA it was alt-F4, but that just seemed to crash the editor.

I just had another thought.

The whole mod database is pretty complex, so if you wanted to keep things simple maybe give Tribes Talk a sub-forum called "mod requests" or something.

Then you just have differnt tags for differnt kinds of posts:

[Free Idea] Here's an idea for a mod, if anyone wants to make it feel free.
[Looking For ___] If a project is looking for a mapper, coder, etc.
[New Project] Info on a new project someone's started
[Release]
etc.

Sir Lucius said:
I just had another thought.

The whole mod database is pretty complex, so if you wanted to keep things simple maybe give Tribes Talk a sub-forum called "mod requests" or something.

Then you just have differnt tags for differnt kinds of posts:

[Free Idea] Here's an idea for a mod, if anyone wants to make it feel free.
[Looking For ___] If a project is looking for a mapper, coder, etc.
[New Project] Info on a new project someone's started
[Release]
etc.

I still like the database idea better. Going through forums can be a real pain and the information can be really inconsistent. Plus, any site can and has done this for games. A centralized database full of all the information you would ever need to setup a dev team and start a mod would be a huge boost to the community if used properly.

Shoddy said:
Er, there is the scripting and mod forum...

I was just thinking of alternatives b/c I know this'll never get done and forgot how diverse the scripting forum was. But yea, you're right, the resource is there. However, if someone is looking to work on a project, they don't have as many options as with the portfolio system.

Back