There are only three countries in the world that execute teenagers.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Skeletor666
11-20-2003, 12:27
Teenagers are ****ing annoying. We should kill more of them.

ICMeltdown
11-20-2003, 12:27
What do you expect we still put people in jail for marijuana...

There are over 1,000,000 people in jail for non-violent crimes ( heard on the show "Charlie Rose" this last week) ...x $40,000 a year to take care of them...

stone
11-20-2003, 12:28
Eh. Everyone already knows it's wrong. The United States as a governing body does not control executions.

If the majority of this country was against the use of the death penalty, I would fully expect the majority of the country, along with the majority of the Congress, and the majority of state legislatures, to ban the use of the death penalty.

ICMeltdown
11-20-2003, 12:30
...and since the prez's state of Texas leads the nation in executions...

Ceiling_Fan
11-20-2003, 12:30
If the majority of this country was against the use of the death penalty, I would fully expect the majority of the country, along with the majority of the Congress, and the majority of state legislatures, to ban the use of the death penalty.

But until such time, the overall government of the country does not control the process. "The United States" doesn't execute prisoners, the States do.

Fool
11-20-2003, 12:31
18 is a teenager, but also a legal adult. :shrug:

Imposter
I'm pretty sure the US gov't executes traitors.

Skibbi9
africa and the middle east aren't in there because by and large, they don't have trials.

Ceiling_Fan
11-20-2003, 12:32
I'm pretty sure the US gov't executes traitors.

How many teenaged traitors have there been?

triple
11-20-2003, 12:32

I don't see how that makes a difference. GWB while he was in charge down there, had no power other than to delay the executions 30 days. He couldn't stop any, that's a part of texas law. He couldn't put anyone to death, either. You want to blame someone for that, blame the people of texas, who went in for jury duty.

[PoE]BigBrown
11-20-2003, 12:33
But until such time, the overall government of the country does not control the process. "The United States" doesn't execute prisoners, the States do.

Im pretty sure the federal govt can and does execute people. Timothy McVeigh is one I can think of.

11-20-2003, 12:34

now he's shooting for the world record :roller: :p

Ceiling_Fan
11-20-2003, 12:34

That would be a skewed statistic. Let's skew it a different angle now.

As a function of population, both Deleware and Oklahoma execute a larger portion of their population every year than Texas does. Texas has so many executions partially because it is the second most populous state in the country.

Skibbi9
11-20-2003, 12:35
now he's shooting for the world record :roller: :p
he's got a long way until he gets to Iraq, Turkey or Germany.

Tribal Imperialist
11-20-2003, 12:36
I wish the majority of this country was more committed to preventing violent crime, number one by making sure all children are brought up right. If you look at the writeups on the people who were executed for crimes they committed as children, many of them were physically and/or sexually abused. And I am willing to bet if you look at those children's parents, a good amount of them were abused as children, too.

I am willing to bet if the violent crime rate in this country was much lower, like in the United Kingdom for example, people would be more opposed to the death penatly. Violent crimes are just so common that people are afraid.

But then you have a catch-22. Everyone wants children brought up right, but nobody thinks it should be enforced. People want to raise kids how they want to raise them, and nobody is going to tell them how they are going to do it.

[PoE]BigBrown
11-20-2003, 12:37
GWB while he was in charge down there, had no power other than to delay the executions 30 days. He couldn't stop any, that's a part of texas law.

I am not sure if you are correct. I have never heard that. I have heard the opposite though. But I dont really know either way.

11-20-2003, 12:37
ya, it was a joke..

what are we arguing about again?

triple
11-20-2003, 12:38
BigBrown']I am not sure if you are correct. I have never heard that. I have heard the opposite though. But I dont really know either way.

http://texaspolitics.lamc.utexas .edu/html/exec/0700.html

Marweas
11-20-2003, 12:41
What I do not like, and what I will not stand for, is some schmuck teenager like Tribal Imperialist implying a moral equivalence between the United States and Iran and Congo because we have democratically-enacted legislation that allows for killing more black people than white people.

You forgot to wave the flag and say "God bless America" while avoiding the point.

Ceiling_Fan
11-20-2003, 12:42
You forgot to wave the flag and say "God bless America" while avoiding the point.

I think Congo kills more black people than white people too. Gonna go harass them about it?