There are only three countries in the world that execute teenagers.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Imposter
11-20-2003, 12:08
That every other country in the world lets kids get away with murder.

They don't get away with it. They go to jail for life.

Imposter
11-20-2003, 12:09
If it wouldn't be a violation of due process?

Definitely.

Age is meaningless.

Would you execute a 5 year old?

Blumie
At what age do you draw the line?
At the age they can fully grasp what murder is.

I would say around 13.

[PoE]BigBrown
Being that they aren't a teenager when they are executed, then yes his statwement is factually incorrect.

I actually have no idea if we have executed a teenager or not, I doubt it. But I would bet we have sentenced a teenager to death and executed him after he was 19. You can technically say we havent executed a teenager, but I think thats a copout. We would have executed him if we could have.

But regardless, being against executing teenagers because Iran does it is stupid. Your reason for being agianst the death penalty should be based on your beliefs, not the opposite of the beliefs of someone you think is bad.

I would be against the death penalty if every country in the world was for it.

Imposter
11-20-2003, 12:10
At the age they can fully grasp what murder is.

I would say around 13.

Why at 13? Does a change from one day to the next really make that big of a deal?

And if you decide based on the individual, what about all those in my list who had very low iqs?

Ceiling_Fan
11-20-2003, 12:10
Would you execute a 5 year old?

Sure.

You know better than to ask questions like that.

ButterflySneeze
11-20-2003, 12:13
Obviously the age in which one may grasp whether murder is wrong or not will change in every person, depending on how fast they mature. There may be a 4 year old who understands it, but a 5 year old who doesn't. So who's the schmuck we'll dedicate to deciding when people should know murder is wrong?

Ceiling_Fan
And if you decide based on the individual, what about all those in my list who had very low iqs?

What does it matter? "They killed because they didn't know any better!" "They killed because they were stupid." "They killed because of their upbringing!"

It doesn't matter.

Raven
i dont get why people worry about this.

its not like its hard to not kill someone. or commit a terrible crime.

just don't, and you'll be a-okay. i have zero sympathy for criminals.

Sascha
11-20-2003, 12:14
you kill
you get caught
you die

age don't mean a thang

don't get caught!

Sascha
11-20-2003, 12:15
i dont get why people worry about this.

its not like its hard to not kill someone. or commit a terrible crime.

just don't, and you'll be a-okay. i have zero sympathy for criminals.yeah but don't you desire murder more so than sex, heaven, food, skydiving?????

Familiar
11-20-2003, 12:17
I'm still waiting for someone to actually prove the title.

stone
11-20-2003, 12:17
At what age do you draw the line?

That's a tough question, as age is not necessarily an indicator of one's mental or physical maturity, ability to reason, etc.

That having been said, the Supreme Court has already drawn the line at the age of 16. That to me seems to be entirely reasonable. In that context, I also think it's also reasonable to give juries the discretion to determine whether or not someone between the ages of 16 and 19 years should be given the punishment of death for a certain crime.

To me, some crimes - like those of Lee Malvo and the Columbine killers - are not deserving of a mere life sentence. And the ages of those people, as they were all patently aware of their actions and implications, seem to me to be irrelevant. The seriousness of the crime seems more relevant to me.

But I'm also very sympathetic to those who are against the death penalty in principle. I completely understand the rationale behind their opposition. What I do not like, and what I will not stand for, is some schmuck teenager like Tribal Imperialist implying a moral equivalence between the United States and Iran and Congo because we have democratically-enacted legislation that allows for the selective use of the death penalty.

Automatic Jack
11-20-2003, 12:19
They don't get away with it. They go to jail for life.

Bull**** they do.

I'm against the death penalty only becuase it is not justly applied. It is applied on the basis of race and class, not the crime committed.

But a teen murderer is just as guilty as other, if we kill murderers I don't see any reason not to kill the younger murderers.

ICMeltdown
11-20-2003, 12:20
Congo, Iran, and the United States of America.

Course they just plain out murder them in a lot of other countries...

Tribal Imperialist
11-20-2003, 12:23
To me, some crimes - like those of Lee Malvo and the Columbine killers - are not deserving of a mere life sentence. And the ages of those people, as they were all patently aware of their actions and implications, seem to me to be irrelevant. The seriousness of the crime seems more relevant to me.

Do you really think Lee Malvo or the Columbine killers cared about the possibility of the death penalty? Did previous executions deter any of them? I think the answer is no. I don't think it was anywhere on their list of worries. They didn't care if they died, hell, they were planning on it.

Skibbi9
11-20-2003, 12:25
we need a island like from Escape from LA.

the positive things about the death penalty:
1 less prisoner to tie up a lot of money.
1 less bad person potentially on the streets

IF we could Isolate LA, it would free up money or if we could ship them to the moon

stone
11-20-2003, 12:25
Do you really think Lee Malvo or the Columbine killers cared about the possibility of the death penalty? Did previous executions deter any of them?

My post had nothing to do with deterrence - it had to do with punishment. Construct your straw man elsewhere.

Ceiling_Fan
11-20-2003, 12:26
I'm still waiting for someone to actually prove the title.

Eh. Everyone already knows it's wrong. The United States as a governing body does not control executions. Thus the title statement is incorrect.

I suppose we could go out and find the other countries in the world that also execute teenagers, most likely China included in there, but it's not really worth the effort.

Moker
11-20-2003, 12:27
Teenagers are ****ing annoying. We should kill more of them.

:signed: