idea for non-melee templar

Maniacal

Contributor
Veteran XV
again, summary-ish stuff further down

ok, heresydo

error (i think it was error) mentioned to me the other night that he had an idea for an confessor build with something like 163 int and 120 con (which i wasnt sure how, b/c i was under the impression the +3 start runes get overwritten by in game runes but anyway), and we also chatted very breifly about he dmg from the life drain on confessors vs templars

so i got to thinking, and i went and checked the info on the templars and confessors and found they are really very very similar in their list of skills, i even checked on the forums to make sure the info was updated...

anyway, they share a lot of skills that are the same or near similar, most of which i would abandon anyway (since the best melee templars are the debuffers imo)

for instance, both get a health drain spell at level 10 (confessors get purge wickedness, templars get purge sin), which funtion the same way, have the same dmg/heal(as in the base numbers, not modified by int/spr/thaum) and the same efficiency gain per level, both get a fire dot that does about the same dmg as well...

both get a life drain dot, but while the fessors has a base dmg of 9.5 to 15.1 (from rank 0 to 40), the templars does 14.5 to 18.9 (again, from rank 0 to 40), each with same efficiency as well... and both get st. malorns wrath (fire based aoe), the fessors does 25-66 at gm, but the templars does 24-95 at gm...not to mention they recast on malorns wrath is nice and quick...

now, the main differences between this idea and commonly build fessors (thats a more nuker than healer) is that the fessor gets inspire (though the templar does get sloth, to steal stam, really takes the fight out of tanks)....

==============so ok heres my idea=================

since both fessors have to human, and templars can be human, they can have similar stats... so take a human fighter, but all stats, but raise int enough to take the +10 int trait, as well as the +10 int wiz apprentice trait rune... max con/int/spr at those values, giving 95 con, 120 int, and 95 spr... gm: cleasing flame; purge sin; curse of sloth;st malorns wrath; consume wickednes; wings of seraphim... take blademaster disc, sword goes to 100%, 1 point in feint, gm FW (for group purposes), take parry as high as it will go, as well as thaum... still end up w/ enough points to train a commander disc...

in the end you end up a with a templar that can nuke/dot on par w/ a fessor in normal form, but has to sit occasionally (you give up armor for robes and rings that are +int/+mana regen)....

but you have wings, which works out sort of like a barbs rage, lasting 20 minutes... it gives you flight ability as well as +75 str, +75 con, and +75 spr... *******that means with items you have around 170 con, 170 int, and 170 spr...******* upping your thaum and dmg, hps, stam, atr, parry (you nuke and drain really hard)... you end up with 2600-2800 hps, 400 or so stam, an atr than break 1300 without trouble, and w/ fient can break 1500 easy... also breaking 1500 mana should be entirely doable... and since your base mana regen, plus items regen all run off a base percentage, so much mana will increase your regen even faster (not to mention sloth at that level allows you to stay afloat almost indefinately, as long as their is someone around to leech stam from)...

no

but the info on shadowbane asia regarding the patch notes are rather favorable to this build...

among other things, templars are getting more hps, lowered mana costs for powers, lowerd prerequisites (some of the high level powers require 30-40 trains in lower powers, which you never use later, this will save numerous points).. and wings of seraphim should work more like a barbs rage, though still lasting much longer...

but most of all, blessed zeal now affects powers, so ontop the higher level of dmg of some of the spells templars get, vs their counterparts that fessors get, templars will also have a self dmg buff, that increases both meleee abilities AS WELL AS powers, for an additional +50% to dmg...

i have to stop playing this game, its turning in D2 for me all over agin... i got a pad here with waaaaayyy to many of the game forumlas for the effect of int, or for determine dmg based on skill level/stat number, etc... and wayyy too specific builds...

i sort of blame ubi/wp though, this game has way too many numbers available to player, and far to little content to mask it (though i must admit i still enjoy pvp thorough, especially as i have been recently invited to PK w/ the apoc horsemen a few times (w/ galvan), aside from soloing hunting its most fun ive had in pvp in the game).

so im shelfing my ranger build for a bit (though hes coming along nicely, and much more powerful than i hoped, but still waiting on the new patch for medium ranger armor) and building myself a cent :p

Last edited:
heh, my cent is only levle 10 atm, im still undecided if i want to promte to crusader or ranger (he fighter based)

but ive been invited to pk with them a few times over the last week (with galvan, my 57 scout).... lots of fun, the only seem to take scouts and sometimes theives, cause they are the only other class that can keep up :p

well the templar i have now is half specced like this...

initially i started him on streamlined build, but a little after he hit r4 (hes currently r5) i ended up speccing him very much like a the guild most consider gimp (had lots and lots of untrained points/unused ability points), just so i could so how everything worked out, to get a rough idea of whether this idea would work, since i need to delete him soon anyway (need the slot to test out some other things :p)

Heh sinbad said I had to be level 58 to be in the horsemen... I'm 50. yeah. so I have to come back ina bit. How convenient.

Back