[T:V] No browser?

Voidsinger

Veteran X
In the FAQ, it clearly says "Definitly no browser". Does this apply to an in-game browser only? I hope you haven't given up on one of T2's only innovation. Browser was cool to look at other teams, to see the history of players, but mostly to minimize smurfing. Smurfing was a plague in T1 and pratically eliminated in T2 with the browser.

Will it stick around in some new form, like a web portal to the auth servers? If it's gone it'll be a real loss, and we'll say hello to smurfing again. I'd rather have a |name| or a -name because someone took my regular name first than have to deal with wondering who I'm actually playing against.

Last edited:
No, I think they're doing uniqe ideas due to the fact that one person shouldn't get "Thrax" reserved just because he registerd earlier. And with unique ids smurfing isn't a problem -- if someone is acting like an idiot and get their id banned, then that's that.

Personally I prefer to change my name every so often, b/c sometimes you want to play as something differnt. And tribes2 also really killed theme tribes. You couldn't have something like Western Alliance in tribes2 b/c of the tag system.

I think a name is just fine and simple. If you want to get creative then you can add a color tag to highlight your tribe, but other than that I'd just like to have the ID number system.

Thrax said their wouldn't be an in game browser. He alluded to it existing but being built on a normal website, so you can use your normal browser to get at it. I would envision something like what Bioware did for NWN.

i hope you can use colors for your tag, but not your name...

also, i think a centralized tag database would be great..so some prick doesnt put on your tag and give u a bad wrap

Voidsinger said:
I hope you haven't given up on one of T2's only innovation. Browser was cool to look at other teams, to see the history of players, but mostly to minimize smurfing. Smurfing was a plague in T1 and pratically eliminated in T2 with the browser.

If it's gone it'll be a real loss, and we'll say hello to smurfing again.

:signed:

I never really cared much for the browser tbh and I would actually like to see T:V with a simpler aproach such as basically every FPS out there has.

It would be cool to have some features on a website where you could log in using your CD-KEY and get access to forums and other stuff - such as NWN and Blizzard games does. Smurfing never bothered me that much TBH and i don't see it as that much of a problem.

i don't really give a shit about the browser, it didn't do anything good for me, and i never cared about the smurfing in t1, i just concentrate on playing the damn game, just make a good game, that's all

Yogi said:
Yeah, I konw this was suggested in T2 beta and even prior to it but eveyone was ignored.

probably because they would have had to add another field to the database and rewritten a lot of code they thought was done. if it's planned from the start it should be much easier i think.

I think UT had some way of sending your stats to a webpage as an option so if that's the case with the Unreal engine then that could be used for showing stats and maybe even showing what team you belong to. Of course it would be an option so not everyone would have to display their stats unless of course the server they play on has some kind of stat building feature.

jsut said:
probably because they would have had to add another field to the database and rewritten a lot of code they thought was done. if it's planned from the start it should be much easier i think.

It was suggested very early on and community code wasn't added till very late. :shrug: Who knows.

ingame server browsers are a good thing, and there needs to be one for T3. If there's a server you want to get it, and it's one person short of full, then you go to play it, oops, all of a sudden it's full, that's a long load time for the game each time you do that. T2's ingame server browser is excellent.

I liked the in game browser but they tried to do too much with it. I think it should be limited to player/team history. Although, the chat was useful from time to time everything else was crap (forum, news, etc.).

Back