Veteran X
Again, criticism welcome :)

sfx-cross-mort1.jpg

sfx-cross-mort2.jpg

sfx-cross-mort3.jpg

Download here

Animo$ity said:
Good job :)

Sarc: Is there any way to make the trails appear to be swirling?

thx - im not sarc, but i'll try and answer the question anyways ;): what do you mean by swirling? as in make the trail corkscrew?

Its not possible to corkscrew, animosity--has to do with the way the mortar trail is created(i would know, i've tried to do this before ;) ) Basically, every image in the mortar trail image set is repeated a bunch of times in a row, and each image is rotated independent of the other images...so when i tried to make the corkscrew, it ended up looking more like a smoke trail. There are only 2 ways I can think of to achieve that effect...one is alter the code of the mortar(dont think this is possible), and the other is look at the code of the mortar, and figure some mathematical model of counter-rotation of each image in the picture....which is not practical ;)

Shadowfox said:
Its not possible to corkscrew, animosity--has to do with the way the mortar trail is created(i would know, i've tried to do this before ;) ) Basically, every image in the mortar trail image set is repeated a bunch of times in a row, and each image is rotated independent of the other images...so when i tried to make the corkscrew, it ended up looking more like a smoke trail. There are only 2 ways I can think of to achieve that effect...one is alter the code of the mortar(dont think this is possible), and the other is look at the code of the mortar, and figure some mathematical model of counter-rotation of each image in the picture....which is not practical ;)

Or you could make the animation of the frames rotate. :|

the frames rotate slightly dont they? it would be easy to leave space near the center and just rotate a swirl around the edge none the less.

Yeah I did mean corkscrew. How many images are used in the trail before they are repeated again? If it's more than one, wouldn't it be possible to alter the images slightly to achieve the effect? I dunno though :\

I talked to shinigami and experimented a bit myself, animosity; you can kinda get the effect of the corkscrew, but the whole corkscrew itself is also spinning quickly, so it looks kinda dumb to me... i'll mess around and make one, get your opinion.

Shadow, how did you get your itemhud (the blue thing on the left) to look like that? My mine icon is slighty to the left of all the ones below it, so would you happen to know how to fix that?

Back