[Spaaaaaaaace] Rocket launch visible from east coast tonight

From NASA's Wallops Flight Facility facebook...

Weather report for tonight shows high thin clouds at launch with a 100% probability of acceptable weather. However, we are red for space weather because of an X-ray flux event. That is being investigated. In addition we are working an issue with a back-up flight termination system transmitter at our downrange tracking site at Coquina, NC.
LIVE: Orbital Minotaur-1 - ORS 3 - November 19, 2013
may also be the last launch in a while of the minotaur 1 rocket

heres what it is
Minotaur I/ORS-3
The primary payload for the ORS-3 mission is the U.S. Air Force STPSat-3 spacecraft. In addition, the rocket will deploy 28 cubesats and carry two non separating tertiary payloads. Among the cubesats being launched is TJ3Sat, the first satellite built by high school students to be launched into space. Orbital employees advised the students who designed and built TJ3Sat and the company provided technical and financial assistance to the program.

when to see it
ORS-3-Launch-Viewing-Map---First-Sighting_thumb.jpg

how high up to look
ORS-3-Launch-Viewing-Map---Elevation_thumb.jpg

so you need to pay attention, max of 3 minutes after launch to view it

10954152934_e72113ba88_b.jpg

10954219163_aece8989e3_b.jpg

took these from my place in Baltimore of the rocket launch last night off the coast of VA (Wallops Island, VA)

the first pic is the end of the 2nd stage, drifting, then the firing of the 3rd stage

I forgot I made this thread yesterday

NBC Nightly News (the national broadcast) might use my crappy photos on their show tonight..i should have put a tw watermark on them

Back