Scariest movies of all time

I very much enjoy the horror genre. I'm always searching for illegitimately creepy, disturbing movies, and I gotta say they're very few and far between. I whole heartily agree with the idea of putting your self into t he shoes of the characters. Doing that helps immensely with enjoying some horror movies, especially handy cam movies like Blair Witch Project. Since some of my favorites were already listed, I will leave them off my official list but I need to agree with the suggestions of Event Horizon and Paranormal Activity 1 and 2.

Here are some movies that I really enjoyed:

The Thing (1982) - IMDb
Any list of great horror movies can't leave out John Carpenter's The Thing from 1982. This is by far my favorite horror movie of all time. Great mix of wonderful practical effects, marvelous setting, paranoia. A lot of themes are used masterfully, especially given the subject matter this movie could have just been another slasher/creature feature.

They (2002) - IMDb
I really enjoyed the feeling of hopelessness this movie impresses upon the viewer. The special effects are passable but weren't very good even when it was released in 2002.

Grave Encounters (2011) - IMDb
I gave this movie a try last year and didn't expect much. The premise is it's a made for cable ghost hunting show locking them selves into an abandoned mental hospital to thrill their viewers. The movie is uses a lot of handy cam work but also stationary cameras the crew sets up at key spots in the hospital. The movie ramps up the horror rather nicely, but mileage may vary depending on how much you could imagine being in that situation.

The Shrine (2010) - IMDb
The Shrine is a classic formula turned on it's head. It's a bit slow but once it gets going it's damn interesting. Since great horror isn't too common these days I had to mention this one.

Thats all I can think of right now, if more suggestions should come up I'll update this post.

This is a good list. I also saw Session 9 but I didn't find it really scary.

I saw Return of the Living Dead when I was way too you g and it traumatized me, so that is on my list.

But the Shining is such an amazing movie, as much credit as it gets, I don't think it gets enough. A masterpiece truly.

I would have to say "they"

I grew up watching Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Childs Play ect.. so im pretty immune to horror movies. I watched "The Ring" by myself in the dark and wasnt that scared.. little creepy..

I watched "They" on a saturday afternoon with other people in the daytime and it was probably one of the freakiest movies i've ever seen. The ending is awesome.

Last edited:
If you were old enough to have seen Alien in the theaters when it first came out, it was the scariest movie up to that point (granted The Exorcist was on the top of the list for those who had a more religious upbringing). Alien was just ground breaking. Special effects were realistic, it had that claustrophobia feeling, the fact that the alien changed form, and that one by one all of the MEN died and left you with a female lead simply hadn't been done. I can specifically recall when the Alien got everyone but Ripley thinking WTF???? Who's gonna save her.... People were simply floored by the movie.

Last edited:
This is a good list. I also saw Session 9 but I didn't find it really scary.

I saw Return of the Living Dead when I was way too you g and it traumatized me, so that is on my list.

But the Shining is such an amazing movie, as much credit as it gets, I don't think it gets enough. A masterpiece truly.

I very much agree with you on Session 9. A lot of build up for very little reward, but when I saw that movie it was just some new release on the shelf with no hype. For some reason my dad thought it was ok to let a 6/7 year old watch Day of the Dead and the remake of the Blob. I saw Aliens when I was real young, it was scary but what isn't scary when you're that young. For me the movie that had way more impact then it should have was the remake of the blob.

If you were old enough to have seen Alien in the theaters when it first came out, it was the scariest movie up to that point (granted The Exorcist was on the top of the list for those who had a more religious upbringing). Alien was just ground breaking. Special effects were realistic, it had that claustrophobia feeling, the fact that the alien changed form, and that one by one all of the MEN died and left you with a female lead simply hadn't been done. I can specifically recall when the Alien got everyone but Ripley thinking WTF???? Who's gonna save her.... People were simply floored by the movie.

Both women survive longer than the men. Lambert was the last to be killed.

Forgot how good the shining is, I don't think you could find a better actor to play that role than Jack Nicholson. Some of those crazy stares he did made me actually recoil in my seat.

REDRUM

Just watched Blair Witch with a friend who had never seen it. Towards they end she said, "I don't see how anyone can sit through this movie... it's so slow." After the movie was over, I explained the context of when it came out and where the internet was back then and how they made the movie to try to show her why it is an important film. She seemed to respect it afterwards, but still... I don't know that it is a film that many new watchers will "get" at this point.

Back