Ginger Jew news: World of Warcraft microtransactions

lotro-elven-nautre-beauty.jpg

i meant game dev overall is an art (inc wow and dota)... and art dont mix with corporatism... u simply cant throw $ at devs and expect great games just as u cant throw $ at painters and expect picassos

ya game programmers/coders are in a really weird fucking position re: 'art'

there are definitely creatives involved, and I'd even suggest that all coders have the potential to be artists if given the chance, but the sheer grinding stalinist corporatism that goes on in those big companies with 'crunch month' etc is just sadface

free urselves, creatives, the only things u stand 2 lose r ur chains

still a bad analogy happy

we throw top dollar at top athletes, and we expect top results. sure things don't always end up how you planned, but the logic/reasoning behind the initial investment is sound

throw money at artists/programmers and you should expect the type of results you pay for. logically the ones you choose to pay the most are at the top of their field which means they have demonstrated a high level of work

idk wat ur tryin to say really, but if its

u simply cant throw $ at devs and expect great games just as u cant throw $ at painters and expect picassos

then idk what else ur supposed to do. randomly select people? listen to a million ideas and find a needle in the haystack? Why spend thousands of hours immersing yourself/educating yourself about a subject when you can theoretically buy 10 experts in the field with 1000x more hours than you will ever have.

If you think that WoW as a whole has no artistic value whatsoever then there's something wrong with you.

im just going to assume that you don't know how the "quote" button works and thats why your post was nonsensical

Last edited:
Its a cycle. And somewhere in that life cycle there is a really happy point where the creative people have the money to be free and the money rolls in. Too much management structure and the creative people leave. Too much creativity and probably no organization or money!

league of legends = world of warcraft

that statement is very true.

lol reminds me a lot of wow because of all the casual players loving it because it's really easy to pickup and not hard to master.

6 more months and dota gonna have more players, the streams will have more viewers etc.

and the discussion about "throwing money at devs" shocks me, happy you should know that developer have NO influence of how stuff is supposed to look/work. You should always throw money at devs but you should start throwing money at game designers/project planners as well (and get rid of useless people).

im talking about the whole game dev team not just the programmers... duh

the whole process is (should be) an art... but ceases to be if you stamp out the passion/creativity/motivation component through corporatist practices. the result then will be another AAA clone with the rest of $ spent on marketing and bribing sites like gamespot to force your shit game onto the gullible masses.

cliffs: indie gaming ftw

Last edited:
without corporate greed & its dominance, the vidya gaming industry would be something like...i duno the board game industry or ccg/magic the gathering

its too easy to point out the flaws & whats wrong with corporate greed/culture...but to say they're pure evil and artists are beautiful unicorns that create the best games is dumb

you cant have the games we have today without corporate greed. its like commercials and anything worthwhile on tv. they're necessary evils to generate the huge sums of money that push/drag the industry forward

still a bad analogy happy

we throw top dollar at top athletes, and we expect top results. sure things don't always end up how you planned, but the logic/reasoning behind the initial investment is sound

throw money at artists/programmers and you should expect the type of results you pay for. logically the ones you choose to pay the most are at the top of their field which means they have demonstrated a high level of work

idk wat ur tryin to say really, but if its

then idk what else ur supposed to do. randomly select people? listen to a million ideas and find a needle in the haystack? Why spend thousands of hours immersing yourself/educating yourself about a subject when you can theoretically buy 10 experts in the field with 1000x more hours than you will ever have.

im just going to assume that you don't know how the "quote" button works and thats why your post was nonsensical

with sports its 1000x simpler than this... but even then if you take the top players and give them the worst coach/management they probably wont do as well.

examples of top hired game talent resulting in total fail:
- red5/firefall
- 38 studios
- garagegames+westwood designers
- every former blizzard employee venture attempted
- simcity 5... thanks EA!

all corporatism does is bring in capital to work with, big $$$

i agree that creating quality games requires patience, creativity, and skills

corporations tend to kill the first two, but at least these new games are being designed by people very familiar with coding languages...

you can't really just buy good creative talent. kinda why blizzard breaking up their all-star dev team post-diablo 2 was so bad for their fanbase.

without corporate greed & its dominance, the vidya gaming industry would be something like...i duno the board game industry or ccg/magic the gathering

its too easy to point out the flaws & whats wrong with corporate greed/culture...but to say they're pure evil and artists are beautiful unicorns that create the best games is dumb

you cant have the games we have today without corporate greed. its like commercials and anything worthwhile on tv. they're necessary evils to generate the huge sums of money that push/drag the industry forward
Nobody's saying corporate culture is evil, it's just detrimental to creativity.

Businessmen like to plan ahead, and you can't plan fun on paper. If the corporate bigwigs aren't comfortable with the idea of developers experimenting with their game as they go in order to improve the fun factor, then they're gonna end up snuffing out creativity and ultimately produce a worse product.

by corporatism i mean the standard crap people have to go through in a business as usual publicly traded company... where the prime objective has shifted from "make great product and money will follow" to "make money by exploiting product and customers in every way possible"

Why would they make WoW f2p when they have millions of subscribers and can charge them micro transactions on top of the monthly fee.

They will go f2p when subscribers drop below 100,000.

Has Blizzard ever stated how many NA or even EU subscribers they still have? I know they posted a while back that they had 8 or 9 million worldwide, but asia doesn't pay a monthly fee. They pay by the hour, and I'm guessing Blizz counts anyone in asia who paid within the last month as a "subscriber"

Considering how dead a lot of the NA servers were just a month after MoP, I'd be shocked if WoW had more than 2 million subscribers in NA. If anyone was under the impression that Blizzard currently rakes in $15x8million/Month, you are grossly mistaken.

Back