how do i get rid of this

wetwilly

Veteran XV
had it forever i guess and kno lots of other ppl have/had the problem
sb.jpg

sb2.jpg

geforce 2 mx400 64meg
any options i gotta click, any prefs i have to set in tribes?
i was lookin at sarcas ss's and i was jealous :]

wetwilly, it looks like z-fighting. Try setting your desktop colour depth to 16bit. That helps with most older 16bit games when using a newer video card.

KamaKAzii said:
whats z-fighting
One of the more common OpenGL programming problems that I see concerns the poor precision of the Z buffer.

The precision of Z matters because the Z buffer determines which objects are hidden behind which others - and if you don't have enough precision to resolve the distance between two nearby objects, they will randomly show through each other - sometimes in large zig-zags, sometimes in stripes.

This is commonly called 'flimmering' or 'Z-fighting' and it's very disturbing to the user.
Thus, running a 16bit game on a 32bit desktop will cause z-fighting. It is always best to keep the desktop display depth the same or as close as possible to the games display depth. Most newer video cards run best at 32bit Colour Depth/24bit Z-Depth/Buffer, but older games do not like this. Running at 16bit Colour Depth forces the use of a 16bit Z-Depth/Buffer.
Afaik, Glide is unaffected by mismatched Display and Buffer depths. I could be wrong though as I have not used Glide in many years.

Code:
$pref::OpenGL::AlwaysRGBA = "False";
$pref::OpenGL::NoAddFade = "True";
$pref::OpenGL::NoPackedTextures = "False";
$pref::OpenGL::NoPalettedTextures = "true";
$pref::OpenGL::Use32BitTex = "True";
$pref::VideoOpenGLMode = "TNT/TNT2";

Back