Viable alternative phone OS to Android/iOS?

webos - dead
windows phone - dead
ubuntu phone - dead
firefox os - dead
blackberry 10 - dead
tizen - dying
sailfish - dying

Last edited:
i wanted 2 ditch the old moto and try windows phone but the fags @ verizon won't sell the in-store display lumia even tho they're discontinued

#Sad!

Windows phone was f'king awesome but Nadella seems unable to understand anything other than cloud and is determined to kill off all their consumer products :(

webos would have been the best but the only thing that matters are apps

not sure how anyone breaks into this one now

webos would have been the best but the only thing that matters are apps

not sure how anyone breaks into this one now
Nobody will break in with mass market appeal for that reason. But if they can move enough units to enterprise and nerds, it might be a viable business.

I'm clueless when it comes to this shit, but isn't Android kinda open source? Could they legitimately make a google maps or YouTube application for a Linux phone?

apple can't even make a good google maps clone, what makes you think some freetards will be able to hack something good together?

no one is ever going to break into the market because the people who complain about not having a 3rd option are the same people who go out and buy android/ios phones

Last edited:
Nobody will break in with mass market appeal for that reason. But if they can move enough units to enterprise and nerds, it might be a viable business.

I'm clueless when it comes to this shit, but isn't Android kinda open source? Could they legitimately make a google maps or YouTube application for a Linux phone?

I recall Ubuntu saying they were making a phone/phone OS some years ago. Guess that never came to fruition.

As an aside, palm's -- and later HP's, i guess, technically -- webOS was really freaking cool and also linux-based. I had a pre+ and loved it. Took a glance at wikipedia just now to see what HP ended up doing with it and apparently, through a series of unfortunate events, it will continue living on in LG's new smart fridge? (WebOS - Wikipedia). What a terrible way to go...

Back