tribes rant

fant-

Veteran XX
*start of rant*

Tribes doesn't get the following that other games do, even highly skill-based games like CS, Quake and Starcraft. These are mainstream games that have a dedicated cult following and a recognition by the gaming community as major titles. Even Quake, which has quite a small community (resembling that of Tribes) has far more recognition and fame attached to it.

*Big* Tribes titles which have revived the Tribes franchise (like Tribes: Ascend) brought back enormous numbers of players. Not just Tribes veterans, but people from all over the gaming community.

I wonder if the Tribes franchise would have fared differently if Tribes: Ascend had brought in a ranking system? Then we might see it being played on twitch.tv. If the mechanics of duel had been prominently displayed as a sign that Tribes was different, we could have catapaulted Tribes into the spotlight. With a ranking system, you could have filtered newbies into veteran servers based on their performance and given them a taste of competition.

Instead, you have a game which is played primarily by the same community, with veterans who have 15 years+ experience under their belt.

CTF has limited opportunity as far as recognition of the game goes, but Tribes: Ascend had team deathmatch (and no-one's ever mentioned TDM to me), and there you can showcase talent and some cool duel rivalries (with more heat than anything Quake could come up with).

I'm not saying that CTF is fundamentally bad, it's a lot of fun and I enjoy playing CTF with you guys (still have to try Midair) but my point is we may have missed a good opportunity.

*end of rant* discuss.

- Asher

well the same thing could probably be applied to t1, but who is going to play a 18 year old game with ancient graphics?

You're right, I dominated at Aussie T:A... I must have had 5-6 different smurfs. And I would go into the newbie tier dominating everyone... which is easy... then the top tier which is harder. If ranks had been implemented I think T:A would have gained a lot more attention, media on twitch.tv and YouTube primarily. That is the way to success in some of these high-skill games.

It's this rivalry which makes a duel game so special. And if you get people in the mainstream to tap into that rivalry and understand it, you have a win-win situation. It's my contention that Tribes has been mistreated and misunderstood, so we need to do everything in our power to counter that.

Except it's too late. Tribes: Ascend had an enormous number of players, probably equaling the number of players T2 had when it first started.

There's not much I can do about that, but maybe in admitting certain things you avoid mistakes in the future.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused... are you talking about Stanley from AUS, or someone who smurfed as him? I thought his real name was Stanley as well...

He was known as =M= iago on Aussie servers.

Not sure why there is no posts about him on Bittah.

When I need my tribes fix I play this

latest

Mindflayr comments on Midair Greenlight Gameplay Trailer

some Tribes sales figures. T:A had an enormous number of players (about the same as T1). We missed a good opportunity to turn it into a large twitch following.

in fact, T:A had MORE unique players playing together at any one time than any other Tribes game in the history of Tribes.

edit: Just realized I may be wrong, don't have access to detailed server population figures at the time T:A was released or access to details of server population figures in other Tribes games.

edit2: Definitely (embarrassingly) wrong, user created servers would have been more densely populated in other Tribes games. But it still stands that Ascend had an enormous number of players, and the rankings would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Back