[Official] The Anglers Thread by Travace - Page 8 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Official] The Anglers Thread
Page 8 of 13
Thread Tools
ArakAtak
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
141 - 03-19-2016, 03:45 AM
Reply With Quote
you can always use a flying gaff. They are like opposing pincer hooks attached to a strong rope, you hook them to your line and they slide down and hook into the fish. You then pull it up with the fish attached.

You will se a lot that are single hooks but they are fiddly and nowhere near as good.

Used over here a lot for rock and cliff fishing, never seen them on a pier but ours are not as high.









twin hook version



By all accounts they are a pain in the ass to use. Tangles and bumping the fish off are very common. Best to have two people, one to hold the rod and the other on the gaff rope keeping it from tangling around the main fishing line.

If you dropped one on a 6-7ft shark off a pier it would probably pull your arms off
 
ArakAtak is offline
 
Last edited by ArakAtak; 03-19-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Elvis Hitler
VeteranX
Old
142 - 03-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Reply With Quote
I picked up my kayak today. I'm hoping the weather isn't too bad tomorrow so I can take it out for a paddle. If the weather is ****e, I'll run out and get the screws I need to put the Scotty mounts on.
 
Elvis Hitler is offline
 
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
143 - 03-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Reply With Quote
why not just cut the line on the shark

to take a ****ing picture?
 
lemon is offline
 
doggor
Veteran++
Old
144 - 03-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Hitler View Post
I picked up my kayak today. I'm hoping the weather isn't too bad tomorrow so I can take it out for a paddle. If the weather is ****e, I'll run out and get the screws I need to put the Scotty mounts on.
Have fun out there! If I remember correctly they have scotty mount pulleys for crab traps. It's nice if you can do it with out tipping. I don't know your boat but it beats pulling it over the rail if you can use it.

edit, this is what I'm talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0
 
doggor is offline
 
Last edited by doggor; 03-19-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Elvis Hitler
VeteranX
Old
145 - 03-20-2016, 01:45 AM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggor View Post
Have fun out there! If I remember correctly they have scotty mount pulleys for crab traps. It's nice if you can do it with out tipping. I don't know your boat but it beats pulling it over the rail if you can use it.

edit, this is what I'm talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0
I've used the Scotty pulley before on my friend's boat. Pretty handy after pulling traps off the bottom without one. Great for keeping your lines off the gunnels.
 
Elvis Hitler is offline
 
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
146 - 03-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
why not just cut the line on the shark

to take a ****ing picture?
i dont think you understand how this "sport" fishing works these days.. todays "trophy" is a picture not a fish stuffed on your wall.

anyhow i could possibly keep it. i am learning the asians on the piers will pay you for your fish...i could have got 20 bucks for the eel i caught.
 
Travace is offline
 
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
147 - 03-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
you can always use a flying gaff. They are like opposing pincer hooks attached to a strong rope, you hook them to your line and they slide down and hook into the fish. You then pull it up with the fish attached.

You will se a lot that are single hooks but they are fiddly and nowhere near as good.

Used over here a lot for rock and cliff fishing, never seen them on a pier but ours are not as high.









twin hook version



By all accounts they are a pain in the ass to use. Tangles and bumping the fish off are very common. Best to have two people, one to hold the rod and the other on the gaff rope keeping it from tangling around the main fishing line.

If you dropped one on a 6-7ft shark off a pier it would probably pull your arms off
that looks like it would be perfect. not as heavy as a straight trebble hook style one.

what is the brand of that one in the first pic? i cant find it via google... all i see is regular pole style gaffs when i google flying gaff. where can i get one?
 
Travace is offline
 
Last edited by Travace; 03-20-2016 at 11:13 AM.
havax
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
148 - 03-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
why not just cut the line on the shark

to take a ****ing picture?
**** that! if i have a 4-5 foot shark on a pier, i'm eating that son of a *****. i ****ing love shark meat, and they are super easy to clean, no bones except backbone. good flavored white meat.

any shark above 5 feet though i take a picture and let it go.
 
havax is offline
 
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
149 - 03-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Reply With Quote
if he's going to eat it that's fine but travace seems like the type to take a bunch of selfies while the shark dies on the pier

he'd then just dump it back into the ocean

what scum
 
lemon is offline
 
Ronnie Dobbs
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
150 - 03-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Reply With Quote
hes fishing mostly out of the ocean

im pro catch and release for most freshwater fish but if he wants to keep some eel or shark out of the ocean i dont think it really matters
 
Ronnie Dobbs is offline
 
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
151 - 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
if he's going to eat it that's fine but travace seems like the type to take a bunch of selfies while the shark dies on the pier

he'd then just dump it back into the ocean

what scum
lol you dont know me at all then. i am the opposite. im the guy who will trade a fish like a trout to the asian guy who is going to eat a bass at the lake

ive let tons of keeps go off the pier already as well (even tho i get crazy looks from the people on the pier).... that eel... at least a dozen sand bass. I never kill anything unless i plan on using it and as much of it as i can in some way. i am probably the 1% who actually lets the ocean **** live.

i did catch this guy the other night and ate him tho.
 
Travace is offline
 
Last edited by Travace; 03-21-2016 at 11:30 AM.
nigafool
VeteranXV
Old
152 - 03-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Reply With Quote
wow that must have been a really good half a crab cake
 
nigafool is offline
 
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
153 - 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigafool View Post
wow that must have been a really good half a crab cake
it actually made 4 small ones that went well with my home made cornbeef hash and eggs from my backyard chickens.

helped round out an awesome breakfast for 4 of us.
 
Travace is offline
 
ArakAtak
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
154 - 03-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travace View Post
that looks like it would be perfect. not as heavy as a straight trebble hook style one.

what is the brand of that one in the first pic? i cant find it via google... all i see is regular pole style gaffs when i google flying gaff. where can i get one?
Not really sure where you could get one. Silstar supply one here in Australia, they are all brought in from China anyway. Maybe you could get one made?
http://www.silstar.com.au/silstarhom...&iid=347&tech=

There is a dude in the US who was trying to make a similar thing but it would only work on fairly small fish and didn't seem to go anywhere with his production idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_fq_aKpqo

You might have more luck with one of these pier gaffs - they are local
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Brid...cAAOSw8lBTrYVu


They would still be a real pain in the ass to use though. Maybe if you added a caribiner snap to the top so you can clip it to your main line it would help it hit the mark. You would need to wear the fish out until it was really docile, it would still be tangle city though.

Depending how high your pier is, I would get a long bamboo pole and strap a meat hook or standard gaff head to it. Some people use those poles for pool cleaning but they tend to be heavy and break easily. Bamboo is tough as ****, it wont break.

Also a circular drop net (as suggested) is a good idea. Sharks? People here usually walk them all the way to the beach and then tail rope them. You could try lassoing one from the pier, maybe try one of those poles with a loop like they use for catching alligators.
 
ArakAtak is offline
 
Last edited by ArakAtak; 03-22-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
155 - 04-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Reply With Quote
just stepped up my game and got a baitcaster. its a cheap one but has all the tech of a expensive one. its the bass pro shop pro and was like 70 bucks. also grabbed a savage gear shine glide swimbait. it has a real nice "walkthedog" effect and it sinks real slow.


all the bass at my local lake are bedding right now as they are coming to the end of spawning season here. i havent been getting any action with the swimbaits but the crawbugs and beaver tails on texas style setups are killin it for me. here is one of the better males i caught and released.


its been fun and im excited about this bass hunting season.

ohh but i am still hitting up the bay and pier. i did get one of them pier gaffs for my birthday as a gift but nothing to use it yet. i landed a small sting ray last week tho. it was no fight at all.
 
Travace is offline
 
ArakAtak
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
156 - 04-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Reply With Quote
Last week I caught a 37 Lb Southern Bluefin tuna.

Nearly gave up as my arms were flogged out trying to get it in but I finally got it in.

Ended up with about $1K worth of sahimi grade Bluefin - I ate sashimi/sushi till I was sick of it. Smoked some and fried some steaks, gave 1/4 of the fish away and I still have 14 lb of prime stuff vacuum packed in the freezer!

 
ArakAtak is offline
 
Last edited by ArakAtak; 04-11-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
157 - 04-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
Last week I caught a 37 Lb Southern Bluefin tuna.

Nearly gave up as my arms were flogged out trying to get it in but I finally got it in.

Ended up with about $1K worth of sahimi grade Bluefin - I ate sashimi/sushi till I was sick of it. Smoked some and fried some steaks, gave 1/4 of the fish away and I still have 14 lb of prime stuff vacuum packed in the freezer!
where? and i know that some part of the bluefin stomach is $$$... i think there is some place here that sells it like 60 bucks a plate and you get about a gram or so. LOL
 
Travace is offline
 
ArakAtak
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
158 - 04-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Reply With Quote
Southern Ocean about 15 miles off the bottom of Australia
 
ArakAtak is offline
 
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
159 - 04-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
Southern Ocean about 15 miles off the bottom of Australia
i wanna go out on a boat for some big tuna so bad.
 
Travace is offline
 
ArakAtak
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
160 - 04-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Reply With Quote
It's actually not as much fun as they make out. Glad I did it but I have more fun pulling in a few 3lb trout
 
ArakAtak is offline
 
Page 8 of 13
Reply


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Official] The Anglers Thread

Social Website Bullshit

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

AGENT: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) / Y
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.