Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [2015] Running Thread
Page 1 of 2
RoLo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
1 - 08-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Check this sub randomly, didn't realize the last running thread Reno made was 2013

I'm staying fairly consistent, trying to stay motivated is a task in itself however, so what apps are you runners/cyclists using to track mileage? Strava? ****+? others? I'm thinking [hoping] the community competition aspect will help..

I'd prefer to track with a wrist band or watch, right now I don't run with my phone in my pocket so the idea of it doesn't sound very appealing although I'm not totally against it

Will ask more running training questions later but for now this is my main concern

Sponsored Links
RoLo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
2 - 08-05-2015, 05:43 PM
This poor sub seems dead. Pllayed with Strava, ****+ and Fitbit, decided to try Strava for now. Did this run Monday,

felt good, until I realized at some point my keys hopped out of my pocket between point A and the turn around point 4.5 miles away. Ended up walking 6.7 miles [after posted run] looking for them, didn't find them, then spent an hour trying to break into my own car and another 2.5 waiting on the locksmith. One of those rare fml moments

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 08-05-2015, 10:05 PM
ive been running recently, just short ones for now though. i kinda wanna win a 5k around here but thats a pretty ****ing tall order. i use strava as well

https://www.strava.com/activities/362201506

because i want to focus on 5k and 10k distances idk if i should just do speed work or what. i'm used to running cross country so it's kinda different. feel like i need to find a track nearby.

RoLo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
4 - 08-05-2015, 10:28 PM
You likely know more than me about running, but I'll share my thoughts anyway..but everything I've read/seen training plans are somewhat similar just adjusted based on distance. 85-90% of your weekly mileage should be easy runs [think jogging] with 1 long run and 1 'hard' run per week [think sprints/intervals/uphills].

so a 5k plan would look something like this
Mon - 3m easy run
Tues - 3m easy run
Wed - 2m interval run [1/4m sprint/walk alternate]
Thurs - 3m easy run
Fri - 3m easy run
Sat - 5m long run
Sun - 3m easy run or day off

so you could be looking at 19-22 weekly in that example which I think would be fine for a 5k, and instead of increasing mileage as your focus you instead increase the pace for the easy runs

but this is where I need Glare or Reno to chime in because I feel like I focus too much on mileage and not enough on pace so idk

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
5 - 08-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Finished the FRED 200 this afternoon.
I'm sore as **** already
The Fred 200 Mile Relay in Grand Rapids, Mi

RoLo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
6 - 08-09-2015, 12:33 PM
looks like a fun race

a lot of fast teams in there

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 08-09-2015, 09:33 PM
ive been slacking on my running and i'm doing an 82 mile relay in a month with 2 other teammates. my **** is gonna hurt too

i've maintained my fitness otherwise (lots of climbing, lifting, and hiking) but there's no substitute for mileage

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 08-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURSTAR View Post
ive been running recently, just short ones for now though. i kinda wanna win a 5k around here but thats a pretty ****ing tall order. i use strava as well

https://www.strava.com/activities/362201506

because i want to focus on 5k and 10k distances idk if i should just do speed work or what. i'm used to running cross country so it's kinda different. feel like i need to find a track nearby.
speedwork is your best bet if you want to get faster and get the most bang for your buck. you have a better chance of winning a 10K if the field is less competitive since the 10K is the least popular race distance by far. but...if you find a local 5K with amateurs then you have a good shot at winning too. i've placed top 5 overall in a few of those types of 5Ks.

as for training...i dropped a couple minutes off my 5K time by doing weekly summer speedwork sessions put on by a local running company. as much as running on a track sucks there is no substitute for running fast and doing repeats. make no mistake, it's hard but you'll get more out of it than just running the 5k distance over and ove.

rolo's plan involves way too much running for my tastes. you'll want to build in a little general strength training (your upper body and leg tendons will thank you) and rest days. do your long runs at a pace that you can actually be somewhat conversational at and run your track workouts hard. report back when you win.

Hologram
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
9 - 08-11-2015, 03:43 AM
i prefer endomondo

Vanster
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
10 - 08-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Ran a very technical (lots of steep ups and downs, lots of rocks) 30K last weekend, am gearing toward a 50M on September 6. I'll do the Baltimore marathon in the middle of October and call it a season.

I'm running 75-100 miles a week right now, speedwork 1 day a week.

Vanster
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
11 - 08-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, and Garmin Connect for logging. I currently use a Garmin 220, but should have my Fenix Sapphire tomorrow or Friday.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
12 - 08-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Fourstar tell me what 5k or 10k you want to try to win so I can make sure I beat you. Oooooooohhhhh

I signed up for the Colfax Marathon a week ago. I've got a pretty ambitious goal, it's gonna be a long winter of 4am alarms to get miles in. Can't wait.

I still use my old 310XT, I plan to get the 625/630 whenever that comes out. I've eschewed HRM forever because I didn't think the data was valuable enough for the inconvenience of wearing a strap. Now with it in the watch itself there's no reason not to.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
13 - 08-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glare View Post
speedwork is your best bet if you want to get faster and get the most bang for your buck. you have a better chance of winning a 10K if the field is less competitive since the 10K is the least popular race distance by far. but...if you find a local 5K with amateurs then you have a good shot at winning too. i've placed top 5 overall in a few of those types of 5Ks.

as for training...i dropped a couple minutes off my 5K time by doing weekly summer speedwork sessions put on by a local running company. as much as running on a track sucks there is no substitute for running fast and doing repeats. make no mistake, it's hard but you'll get more out of it than just running the 5k distance over and ove.

rolo's plan involves way too much running for my tastes. you'll want to build in a little general strength training (your upper body and leg tendons will thank you) and rest days. do your long runs at a pace that you can actually be somewhat conversational at and run your track workouts hard. report back when you win.
There's no substitute for long easy miles, period. 40mpw+ if you want to get fast.

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 08-31-2015, 06:07 PM
i'm still using my garmin 205...it's super old but as long as it works i'm not going to upgrade

as for races: i've got a team relay of 82 miles on saturday. we started with 5 people and that's dropped to 3. so i get to run a marathon over exposed trails in summer heat while i've been training for a half marathon at best

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 08-31-2015, 07:10 PM
What's your goal Reno? BQ?

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
16 - 09-04-2015, 08:18 PM
2:59:59

It's something I never thought myself capable of. Now it's in reach and I want to do it before I get too old.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
17 - 09-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Glare do you strava?

mjoe
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 09-06-2015, 01:49 PM
went out to mccarren park track yesterday to do some track sprints. never been before but it seems like it's the closest outdoor rubber track for me.

Vanster
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
19 - 09-07-2015, 12:35 AM
https://www.strava.com/activities/386595369

^^^ Gay parade, because my Garmin fenix 3 sapphire on "extended" mode only polls GPS and GLONASS satellites every 30 seconds, and takes the arithmetic mean of those, when it tries to fix my position.

Anyway, it was a technical and hilly course, but only 3 or 4 bad hills, 50M in 10:40. 10th/234, 2nd age group.

Special brown love to my friend "too good at tribes" or whatever.

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
20 - 09-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Glare do you strava?
i dont

what are the perks

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [2015] Running Thread