Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Midair
Page 5 of 31
pancake
Banned
Old
81 - 05-16-2015, 14:57
behold the heyday of arena that tpk thinks was the greatest most competitive period of t1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0KR2N0CCb4

lightflower and sig would beat both of these teams 8v2

Sponsored Links
Milk-Man
VeteranXX
Old
82 - 05-16-2015, 15:08
yikes

Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
83 - 05-16-2015, 16:27
You watch what you say about TPK you turd mouths.

pancake
Banned
Old
84 - 05-16-2015, 17:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pumpkin King View Post
"Threatening to end someone's life by use of excessively violent force is fine, but I draw the line at cancer jokes." -Dare

This is like watching a human trafficker condemn jaywalking.

AFireInAsa
VeteranX
Old
85 - 05-16-2015, 20:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magical Zoo View Post
LT literally saved Tribes and added 5+ years of competitive life to it after base had a good 6 year run and was down to 3 teams on TWL by late 2003

in a game like midair when player numbers are probably going to be low (at least initially), it might be best to cut out the fat and have a mod that throws every position into extreme relevancy and action

****, you didn't even play LT did you dude, you sound like a cranky old man. i can't see most kids these days wanting to spend hours every day solely in the depths of some base deploying turrets and repairing inventory stations.

LT is still tribes is still the best FPS of all time, and like pancake said would you rather they listen to a bunch of t2 or t:a weirdos? of course not
T2C was able to stick around and it's still played today. They made small changes so that the game scales better at lower team numbers like no gen raping until there's enough players on both teams to deal with it (I forget the actual number). T2C was also able to remove the gayness that is hiding and turtling with the flag to an extent because of flag icons and conc grenades.

Flag icons is a debated thing here but it raises the general competitiveness of games when everyone can follow the flag. It also gives people less incentive to cheat (getting mad at people hiding the flag and starting to use happy flag) and removes flag hiding which will be a big problem for pubs in a growing game (and to a lesser extent competitive games). If you diehards really prefer to play the game without flag icons and also are fine with people cheating, would you be happy if they added an option or console command to remove the flag icon so that you can play the game your own way? It's stupid and probably won't happen but I'm just curious.

Last edited by AFireInAsa; 05-16-2015 at 20:07..
gim
VeteranX
Old
86 - 05-16-2015, 22:28
yers

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
87 - 05-17-2015, 01:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
t:a t2 and t:v had lots of new things like grapplers rocket launchers shrikes and a variety of machine guns

you should play those games and participate on their forums instead of attempting to relive your faggy glory hpb arena ladder days that only serve to showcase how low skill the game was when you played

also kill yourself
I played T1, T2, T:V, and in more recent day Chivalry, and succeeded in all those games. I'm not afraid of embracing a new game, and I'm not the one clinging to the past homey. Sorry. You can play your hack-ridden overly simplified version of a 16 year old game until you die if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk-Man View Post
Wait, a guy who was never very good at killing people was good at arena?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk-Man View Post
yikes
You know who I was, you know the teams I played for, and you were friends with Wild_Child, so you aren't fooling anyone by pretending to be ignorant.

Everyone else posting here knows who I was too, so what's the point of such a weak troll?

Are you really still mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magical Zoo View Post
LT literally saved Tribes and added 5+ years of competitive life to it after base had a good 6 year run and was down to 3 teams on TWL by late 2003

in a game like midair when player numbers are probably going to be low (at least initially), it might be best to cut out the fat and have a mod that throws every position into extreme relevancy and action

****, you didn't even play LT did you dude, you sound like a cranky old man. i can't see most kids these days wanting to spend hours every day solely in the depths of some base deploying turrets and repairing inventory stations.

LT is still tribes is still the best FPS of all time, and like pancake said would you rather they listen to a bunch of t2 or t:a weirdos? of course not
Naw, you just read my post emotionally and misunderstood it. I've got no beef with you or the LT mod.

It's the disrespectful, immature, and childish people that are plentiful in that community.

People like groove, stork, you, exodus, and Gim are cool as ****. There are others too. The bad apples spoil the bunch unfortunately. There is so much toxicity that it's not even worth it to try and be around the cool people.

I'm not choosing T2 or T:A people over you. I'm hoping that they don't listen to any of you, go back to the original Tribes roots, and create their own version of the game that is most similar to T1, with a new modernized rendition (features) that would dictate success in current times.

Just because you guys hated everything that was fun about T1, turrets, heavy armor, shields, lazer beams, base turrets, stations, generators, and mortars, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Thousands of people played the game with turrets and deployables. Dozens played LT.

Logic would point to the fact that people indeed enjoy playing games with turrets and deployables over ones without.

You can't imagine anyone enjoying a game with stations. I can't see anyone finding a reason to pick Tribes over mainstream shooters without the unique features, such as deployables and stations, that Tribes provided.

Your logic is based on your own ideas and notions, as well as what the current active T1 community looks like. My logic is based on past player numbers.

If you disagree with me, I respect your opinion, you could argue that people and times have changed, and they are no longer interested in the type of game that Tribes was, but I firmly believe that a purer version of Tribes would have a far higher potential for success with the masses.

If a developer is going to make another Tribes game, I would prefer it to be a success this time, that's all. I'm tired of Tribes games all failing.

The main reason I was saying it would be a huge mistake for Archetype to listen to the current T1 LT community is because I believe that those players are incredibly uninterested in "moving on" to anything else as exhibited by their open preemptive hostility towards the game already spewing out their mouths like a volcano erupting all over the forum.

pancake
Banned
Old
88 - 05-17-2015, 02:04
you hyperbolize a lot of stuff cuz of ur mood disorder tpk

anyway what fire's saying about t2c is misinterpreted bull**** as much as mindflayr's defenses of t1 are on the aspergers reddit when he quotes "t1 had 1 million uniques at one point" which should really be "t1 had 1 million unique players each year still in 2002 4 years after it was released and many more millions when it was released" but that isn't conveyed

so whatever fire can defend t2, its a low skill game anyway aside from strategy and probably more up his alley considering he still cant ski or shoot in t1 after 3 years

tpk the lt community was mostly people that played base and were base players and loved base. its only newer players that don't like it. this is why we had those base pus recently going up to 14v14 even.

your take on people liking t1 because they cant move on is dumb. nat doesn't still play t1 cuz he can't move he plays t1 cuz its the only tribes game hes measured as decent in totality. if there was another tribes game that came even close to t1 then we'd pick it up but there hasn't and no one listens to the reasoning why and consistently plays a hard price.

history repeats when people dont learn from the past and we've seen it happen with t2, where dave g had to literally come on the forums years later and post about how he deeply regret not remaking a t1 clone from the start as that was what he learned people wanted. the commercial failure of t:v same thing as well as t:a.

now we're dealing with these midair people that are creating a game mostly based of t:a and t2. people will play this game but its never going to be as many as t1 and its probably going to be dumbed down and bad like every other tribes game. this is the only argument most of us LT people are defending.

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
89 - 05-17-2015, 02:44
Quote:
you hyperbolize a lot of stuff cuz of ur mood disorder tpk

anyway what fire's saying about t2c is misinterpreted bull**** as much as mindflayr's defenses of t1 are on the aspergers reddit when he quotes "t1 had 1 million uniques at one point" which should really be "t1 had 1 million unique players each year still in 2002 4 years after it was released and many more millions when it was released" but that isn't conveyed

so whatever fire can defend t2, its a low skill game anyway aside from strategy and probably more up his alley considering he still cant ski or shoot in t1 after 3 years

tpk the lt community was mostly people that played base and were base players and loved base. its only newer players that don't like it. this is why we had those base pus recently going up to 14v14 even.

your take on people liking t1 because they cant move on is dumb. nat doesn't still play t1 cuz he can't move he plays t1 cuz its the only tribes game hes measured as decent in totality. if there was another tribes game that came even close to t1 then we'd pick it up but there hasn't and no one listens to the reasoning why and consistently plays a hard price.

history repeats when people dont learn from the past and we've seen it happen with t2, where dave g had to literally come on the forums years later and post about how he deeply regret not remaking a t1 clone from the start as that was what he learned people wanted. the commercial failure of t:v same thing as well as t:a.

now we're dealing with these midair people that are creating a game mostly based of t:a and t2. people will play this game but its never going to be as many as t1 and its probably going to be dumbed down and bad like every other tribes game. this is the only argument most of us LT people are defending.
I didn't know that you guys used to love base. I never saw any of you back when I played, and many LT players constantly talk about how terrible base was, so I assumed that you mostly all disliked it. My mistake on that.

T1 is the only Tribes game I measure as "decent in totality" too.

I never knew about that Dave G post. Do you have links? I despised that man for years and had no idea about that. I never imagined him as even being capable of realizing his error, let alone accepting it, and posting about it in regret.

According to your post, I am wrong about your unwillingness to move on as well. Apparently you simply hate Archetype studios because you feel they are going to make a game more similar to Tribes Ascend.

If I were you though, I would suspend judgement until you see it.

Though I was completely wrong about HiReZ too. I told everyone to "chill, wait, and see" and then the stillborn baby that was birthed was horrific beyond anything I could have conceived. I thought they had nowhere to go but up from T2 and T:V, but I was dead wrong. I didn't think it was even possible to move down even lower, but HiReZ succeeded in that, and it became the first Tribes game that I didn't even try to play really. I spent like 10 minutes in the game, barfed, and uninstalled.

I'm fine with admitting when I'm wrong when I am, and in this case, I feel that I was wrong.

I apologize for misjudging your intentions with the hate parade, the reasoning behind it, and the unwillingness to move on.

I still feel you should wait and see what Archetype has to offer though before being so hostile.

spockhammer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
90 - 05-17-2015, 03:10
Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired by Reggs - Page 24 - TribalWar Forums

Quote:
Howdy all.

I don't mind answering questions about T2 or the Sierra/Dynamix relationship. It's been long enough now that I don't think I'll be jeopardizing any careers (including my own) with honest answers.

I won't muckrake and I won't respond to tirades or abuse. Why? I don't feel like painting anyone else black, and I don't work for the company that's trying to sell you a game now, so I can say what I want to say (within reason). But I also don't want/have to endure the heaping spoonfuls of vitriol that I once consumed on these forums, so I'll hang out until it's not a conversation anymore and then I'll just go be a stranger again.

Did I make mistakes with T2? Yup. I did learn the lesson of "when making a sequel, make it pretty, but don't change the original". Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way. However, I agree with you now. (NOTE: I still would have improved the vehicles and some of the user interfaces, and some of the maps would have had to still be larger to accomodate the vehicles. Oh yeah...and I really liked the "Siege" game mode that we added, even if it was always a minority-share game. So, okay...I would have changed it in some ways...but leaving the core gameplay & physics strictly alone.)

Regarding the physics of the game...I didn't change any of that (except the vehicles, of course, which used Havok physics). The same programmer that did the physics in T1 did the physics in T2 and he was reponsible for any differences in feel you may have hated/loved.

It sucked that T2 got released while Sierra was being purchased by V-U so that management had little or no focus on the game and the bean counters ruled the school, insisting on ship dates rather than quality. It was obvious to everyone in Sierra and Dynamix that T2 wasn't ready to ship, but when the company says "ship it", dev teams can either quit in a huff, or ship it and try to fix it after ship. The latter is what we tried to do. We had to put a good company face on it, and try to spin it positive, but only because we were employees...not because we thought it was a good idea.

Do you think that's uncommon in this industry? It ain't.

I know that I offended some folks at Sierra when I started arguing strongly with execs there about quality, release schedules, and shooting ourselves in the foot...but everyone at Sierra was far more interested in looking good to the new V-U management than they were in helping to release a quality game. They (nameless folks at Sierra that I don't have specific names for because I don't know all of them and what does it matter now anyway?) started waving their pointy fingers at Dynamix as the source of all troubles (not just with Tribes) and managed to get all 96 of us canned so that fewer folks at Sierra headquarters would get laid off.

And "Tribes 2" was the *only* game that made money for Sierra that year...so go figure. Why would you cut the only team that makes you money? Because if you don't...your own job is in jeopardy. So yeah...fear and the V-U buyout had a lot to do with why T2 was released in the shape that it was in. (It also didn't help that some folks internal to Sierra thought they could do a better job designing a T3 game...and those folks were a lot closer to the political machine that made decisions than us folks down in Oregon at Dynamix and their voices were louder because of proximity and frequency.)

Okay...that's enough for a first post. If I've been offensive to anyone, well...it wasn't intended that way.

For what it's worth...

-- Dave.

The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
91 - 05-17-2015, 03:17
There's going to a be a general hostility at this point seeing as they've spectacularly failed three straight games now, directly going against what people here and elsewhere have been clamoring for. Also, I'm guessing 95% of LT players enjoyed base very much. I should have been less subtle on what my main point was: for smaller player bases mods like LT require significantly less players and are much easier to just load and play without the minutiae of repairing and deploying. I'm not saying those nuanced base elements don't have their place anymore (although I do think typical sperg players nowadays won't be thrilled with TF'ing etc), but in an ideal world a game like this is going to be the inverse of what T1 was in terms of player numbers.

edit: meaning it'll start lowish and then hopefully grow as word of mouth spreads

Last edited by The Magical Zoo; 05-17-2015 at 03:21..
machine88aus
Veteran²
Old
92 - 05-17-2015, 03:18
full on sperg thread

pancake
Banned
Old
93 - 05-17-2015, 03:21
tpk a lot of us have been around the block more than you so we've seen this **** happen over and over again

when you have a skinny asperger kid like mabel being praised as a game developer genius and hes only ever played t:a

or fire being known as a "pro gamer" but has spent 3 years playing t1 and is still terrible (and i hope he gets better one day so he c an understand why the game is as fun as it is)

and these are the people making the new game

maybe it will be fun

but it is very unlikely it will be t1 fun

and thats okay but im still gonna troll the **** out of that game and make fun of people for it because **** them

opsayo was working on a great t1 clone shortly before midair was announced and it actually not only looked like t1 with better graphics but i heard it played exactly like it too

thats the game i want not some 10th iteration of some spergs sucking each other off and adding new **** to a game that wasn't broke in the first place

modders could do that after a release the game never needed to be redesigned and yet it is for the 10th ****ing time even after dave g of all people admit that it was a mistake to do that

machine88aus
Veteran²
Old
94 - 05-17-2015, 03:24

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
95 - 05-17-2015, 04:04
That is ****ing incredible. Thank you Dare.

"Regarding the physics of the game...I didn't change any of that (except the vehicles, of course, which used Havok physics). The same programmer that did the physics in T1 did the physics in T2 and he was reponsible for any differences in feel you may have hated/loved."

I wonder which programmer that was... Good thing he took the opportunity to "correct" the "mistake" he made with T1 of making it incredibly mind-numbingly awesome.

I used to despise Dave G more than anyone else on the living planet. Though being lead developer, wouldn't he have had the final say on the physics and everything else in terms of game mechanics? It seems like he might have just been passing off blame onto that programmer for his own inability to make a much better judgement call, but I'm not sure.

I was pissed for years, though apparently I was fortunate enough to get over it before that Qix post was made, which was probably why I missed it. It was very interesting to read though.

Quote:
tpk a lot of us have been around the block more than you so we've seen this **** happen over and over again
LoL dude. I'm way older than you. You were like 9 when I was getting my dreams crushed by Dave G weren't you? What are you talking about?

Are you using that "been around the block" line in a strangely unique way to mean something outside of age/experience? Perhaps you're referring to the amount of time and effort you've put into reading about up and coming games?

Quote:
when you have a skinny asperger kid like mabel being praised as a game developer genius and hes only ever played t:a
I don't know that guy at all so...

Quote:
or fire being known as a "pro gamer" but has spent 3 years playing t1 and is still terrible (and i hope he gets better one day so he c an understand why the game is as fun as it is)
What games does Fire compete in and succeed at?

T1 isn't everything man. If he rules at lots of other games, than that's respectable, though I have no idea cus I know nothing about him either. I thought he was FuFu and you were kind enough to enlighten me lolz.

Yeah, maybe I've been out of the loop cus I haven't cared about anything since Tribes 1.

Quote:
maybe it will be fun

but it is very unlikely it will be t1 fun
I don't have hope for "t1 level fun". Most likely nothing will ever be that good again.

If Midair is even slightly comparable I'll be shocked and will most likely enjoy it a lot.

Every Tribes game I've played since T1 has been cat feces.

Quote:
and thats okay but im still gonna troll the **** out of that game and make fun of people for it because **** them

opsayo was working on a great t1 clone shortly before midair was announced and it actually not only looked like t1 with better graphics but i heard it played exactly like it too

thats the game i want not some 10th iteration of some spergs sucking each other off and adding new **** to a game that wasn't broke in the first place
Meh... we haven't had a game in like 14 years d00d. I've been so crushed with disappointment I'm used to it. I won't even flinch if this next one fails. I don't understand why you even bother trolling. It serves zero purpose.

If you thought opsayo's game was cool, why have you been burning the ever loving **** out of him lately? I thought you two were homies man. That was sad to see...

pancake
Banned
Old
96 - 05-17-2015, 04:12
just because i thought opsayo's game could have been good doesn't mean i can't disagree or not like his opinions or behavior on other things

please understand i never attacked opsayo personally like he did to me when we argued. the only thing i did was disagree with milkman being banned/shamed/called a tier 2 player and speculate about how a cheat detection could be incorrect that was it, and he went and made everything personal and attacked my real life.

most of us have just seen history repeat so many times now we're not going to get optimistic about something that has the same sort of blatant issues that the other past failures did and being able to vocalize that cynicism or hate on a forum is only a good thing

Last edited by pancake; 05-17-2015 at 04:22..
pancake
Banned
Old
97 - 05-17-2015, 04:16
heres a game of all LT players who were former base players playing base again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6SBXEp9AE

we litterally pu'd base thousands of times more than any time during the active ladders on twl or ogl

everyone i know in lt that is decent was good in base as well and really enjoyed it for what it was

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
98 - 05-17-2015, 04:37
Quote:
just because i thought opsayo's game could have been good doesn't mean i can't disagree or not like his opinions or behavior on other things
Of course that is true.

Quote:
please understand i never attacked opsayo personally like he did to me when we argued. the only thing i did was disagree with milkman being banned/shamed/called a tier 2 player and speculate about how a cheat detection could be incorrect that was it, and he went and made everything personal and attacked my real life.
I hope you two can forgive each other and be pals again someday.

Quote:
most of us have just seen history repeat so many times now we're not going to get optimistic about something that has the same sort of blatant issues that the other past failures did and being able to vocalize that cynicism or hate on a forum is only a good thing
No Tribes fan will ever be optimistic about any Tribes game in development ever again after the incredible abuse we have taken. I wouldn't think anyway. That I can understand.

So you have sensed similar issues from the past coming back up again. Meh, I can see where you are coming from... I can't fault how you feel on this issue. There is logic behind your motive I think. I was wrong to draw a quick conclusion that you were being purely emotional.

I'm still going to opt out of the hate train though. I don't want to discourage anyone from making a Tribes game.

pancake
Banned
Old
99 - 05-17-2015, 04:48
idc

if they make a bad game ill attack it for my own entertainment just like i did with the rest

machine88aus
Veteran²
Old
100 - 05-17-2015, 05:02
tpk sucks at LT so claims hayday had better platers/player base.

He is wrong

/ thread

Page 5 of 31

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Midair

Social Website Bullshit