Dead lift/squats question by Antonio - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page Dead lift/squats question
Antonio
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 10-26-2014, 06:52 AM
I started with dumbbells but it is coming to the point where I am going to grow beyond them. In the back of my mind I guess I have reservations when I lift the weight as to try not bang shins/knees. I think I am going to run into problems later on when I try higher weights and have I guess this fear or warning in back of my head..

My question.

- Is there equipment available that won't hurt the bank and can be incorporated into other work outs as well that will eliminate this mini fear/annoyance?

- I have a 40 lbs weight vest, can this be used with these 2 correctly/safely in your experiences? I use the vest now mainly for pushups but will be using it more when I get my basic dips and pullups on lock.

Thanks TW team.

Sponsored Links
amRam
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
2 - 10-26-2014, 09:31 AM
You need something cheaper than a straight bar and some weights?

Antonio
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 10-26-2014, 09:41 AM
It may seem like a stupid question but rather not buy something over priced due to my lack of experience.

Any particular bars/weights you can recommend?

amRam
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
4 - 10-26-2014, 10:05 AM
It's a straight metal bar and some weight. Don't get all scientific, just go buy whatever is cheap. Check craigslist.

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 10-26-2014, 10:06 AM
u r always going 2 scrape ur shins if u doin ur dl correctly. it aint that bad

y would u use a weight vest 4 squats and dl? all that's goin 2 do is fuk up ur mobility and potentially jeopardize ur form

how much space do u have? if u can, get a cage with adjustable rack so u can squat but a bar and some weights r all u need 4 deadliftin (the cage help keep ur deadlift straight - or at least it does for me...keeps me from driftin 2 far in any one direction)

Antonio
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 10-26-2014, 03:04 PM
That's why I am asking lol. I don't want to pretend I know what I am doing..I just hit 200 lbs yesterday from being 340 previously. Thanks for the tips on the shins, it has been a mental thing taking hold some focus back on it.

I was trying to see if I could use what I had more effectively. Will not use the vest. I don't mind being told what i am doing is stupid/wrong so let at me heh.

I hear what you guys are talking but did you have any direct links to equipment I can work my budget around?

BeLiaL
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 10-26-2014, 03:28 PM
buy a bar, buy some weights, hire a coach to learn to lift correctly

Shiloh
Veteran++
Old
8 - 10-26-2014, 08:21 PM
If you want cheap, go to walmart and get some plastic baggies and a few bags of sand. Divide the sand up into 5 lb increments and put it into a baggie, then tape the baggies closed. Throw the filled baggies into an old backpack or dufflebag. $10 gets you baggies and 60-80 lbs of sand. No worries about banging your knees or even dropping the weight on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXPenBWLffg

Antonio
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 10-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Thanks Shiloh! Exactly what I was looking for.

Reggs
VeteranX
Old
10 - 06-26-2015, 01:41 AM
No reason for a weight vest. No one would advise that.

I would say that there is more of a danger of messing yourself up with DL vs squat. This is a good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE
The older guy in it, Mark Rippetoe, wrote a great book that you should own, "Starting Strength." It's kind of a go-to book that everyone respects and cites.

Also a lot of good explanations with this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7/videos

If you are starting out the best advice I have is to NOT buy any anything beyond maybe gloves and protein. Just go to the gym, and for the first 3 weeks just lift comfortable weight and make sure your form is right and there is no bad pain after a workout. After that, just lift more so that you are lifting more for muscle gain and less for learning form(since you know it at this point).

Only after that should you get into pre-workout supplements. And thereafter lifting shoes, belts or any of this other stuff.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page Dead lift/squats question

Social Website Bullshit