Seeking dutch oven recipes

HumDumpin

Re
Veteran XV
Got a new cast iron dutch oven that I just seasoned and I'm interested to hear any of your recipes.

wk17.jpg

I'll update this thread eventually with some of my own after I have a chance to put this to use.

(insert fart jokes here)

take a meat product of sufficient fat and sinew

cut it into fist-sized chunks, season with salt and pepper and flour. oil a pan and heat to smoking. preheat your dutch oven in an oven set to 300 or so.

sear the shit out of the meat on all sides and reserve. then you can be creative with things you cook in the pan. i like onions, garlic, whole mustard seeds, rosemary, bay leaf, chili paste and deglazing with beer. sometimes whole coriander seeds and a star anise or two. you can use wine, vermouth, rice wine, vinegars... soy sauce + rice vinegar + chili paste makes a good asian stew.

put the meat and the shit from the pan into the dutch oven. if the liquid isnt at least halfway up the meat, add some water. take a big piece of foil and press it against the food in the pot, like an internal lid. put the real lid on and cook it for a while in the preheated oven. you can fuck around with meat types/temp/cooking times. some things you can do at 350 for 2 hours and have a pretty good result. some things like a lower temp and longer cook.

anyways once u make the stew i like to store the meat and the sauce separately. then when i want to eat it, i cook vegetables in some of the sauce (thinned with water), then add the meat to reheat it and check for seasoning. that way u get a nice stew without mushy vegetable shit or potatoes that melt and turn ur sauce into goop

Made sauerkraut ribs, they were awesome, here is the recipe and this is how it looked when I tried.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1 rack pork baby back ribs, cut into individual ribs
Salt and pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
6 medium, white new potatoes, quartered
1 pound bag sauerkraut
1/2 cup white wine (optional, may substitute water or stock)
Parsley sprigs, for garnish
Directions
Set Dutch oven over medium-high and heat the vegetable oil.

You can also cook this dish in the oven at 325 to 350 degrees F for the same time.

Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Lay ribs in the oven, meat side down and sear them in a single layer. Transfer them to a platter. Add the onions and saute until softened, scraping up any browned bits from the ribs. Add potatoes. Add ribs back in and cover with sauerkraut. Poor wine over top. Cover the Dutch oven and lower the heat. Simmer the pot on the stove for 2 to 3 hours until the ribs are very tender.

If the dish gets too dry at any point stir in a little chicken broth or water to keep it moist.

Serve garnished with parsley sprigs.

Read more at: Sauerkraut and Ribs Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network

Threw the cut up baby back ribs into the dutch oven after I ground up some salt and pepper all over them. Browned them in 2-3tbs of olive oil.
vopq.jpg

Took the ribs out and put them aside, then tossed in onions. Drizzled some very good bourbon on top for flavor.

glja.jpg

Onions were done so I threw in quartered potatoes.

tlle.jpg

Right after that I put the ribs back on top.

e0ek.jpg

Placed a 2lb bag of sauerkraut all over the top of it all, and poured a half a cup of white wine on top.

2fxv.jpg

Cooked it in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours, took it out and let it sit, then basted the top of the kraut with all the juice at the bottom of the pot.

0luy.jpg

Ribs are very tender, still moist. The sauce tastes great, everything goes together well. Its easy to make and I stashed a large container of leftovers for the frig and another for the freezer. Guess I forgot the parsley sprigs, oh well.

rvkl.jpg

Tonight I'm doing a bottom round roast, I'll update the thread as promised.

Made a beef stew type dish with a Bottom Round Roast, about a 4 pounder

Ingredients
1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless bottom round roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
Freshly chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper.

In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil and sear the roast on all sides. Add the onions, garlic and tomato paste and cook until slightly colored. Add the wine, stock, thyme and bay leaves. Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven.

Roast for 1 1/2 hours and then add the carrots. Continue to cook for 1 more hour. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Slice and place on a serving platter. Skim the fat off the braising liquid and serve with the roast. Garnish with parsley.

Read more at: Momma Neely's Pot Roast

Salt and pepper
qr24.jpg

Brown the outside
ph6h.jpg

Add onion, garlic, tomato paste
rdw7.jpg

Cook em
td77.jpg

Add wine, bay leaves, thyme, beef stock
svlj.jpg

Cooked for an hour
so2m.jpg

Added carrots at 2 hours
50vq.jpg

Done at 3 hours
gt0w.jpg

Slice
76jc.jpg

Serve with sauce
s7qq.jpg

If I were to do this again I may try to use the small rack insert for the dutch oven to elevate the meat up out of the sauce a little more, then do it at a higher temp for a little less time to leave the inside a little more solid and less cooked than the outside. I would also change the sauce a little, it needed something that wasn't there, not sure what it was. I almost think this needs some more thickness for the sauce too, perhaps I should have added more tomato paste at the start.

for a thicker sauce you can flour the meat before browning, that will give you a bit of a roux-style thickener

usually when a sauce is missing something, it's not acidic enough. maybe go with more wine vs. stock, or add some vinegar.

I damn near did the exact recipe tonight, but I threw it in a slow cooker. I'd recommend using more wine, flouring the beef beforehand, and adding the wine before the tomato paste.

So when you guys add flour do you apply it to the raw meat prior to browning, or after browning? Its prob a dumb question but I dont use flour very often.

rip ass, pull blanket over other persons heads

for quick variant try the loaf - as you fart place your hand to receive fart - present to other

I made some crab bisque yesterday, it was great.

Ingredients
1 cup onion, minced
1 cup carrot, minced
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
4 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cooking sherry
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
fresh chives, minced
salt
1/2 lb raw lobsters, chopped or 1/2 lb lump crabmeat
Directions
Saute onion and carrot in 2 tablespoons butter until soft. Set aside.
In 4 quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter and add flour, whisking constantly over medium heat until roux becomes light brown (about 5 minutes). DO NOT BURN!
Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly to ensure mixture stays smooth.
Add onions and carrots, cover, and simmer for 1/2 hour.
Add cream, sherry, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and lobster or crab and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
Garnish with fresh minced chives if desired.
Lobster Or Crab Bisque Recipe - Food.com - 229275

I doubled the recipe for this one, works well with the cast iron to avoid burning the butter.

Diced carrots and onion, butter, cooked then put to the side
b6e7.jpg

Butter and flour
6qpg.jpg

Whisked butter and flour together
s8eu.jpg

Add chicken broth and mix more, it starts pasty and lightens up
kmii.jpg

Add carrots and onions back in, simmer 30-45min
nj9f.jpg

Add sherry, cayanne, heavy cream, etc and simmer another 15min or so
kbga.jpg

Add crab meat (or lobster if you like).
xlem.jpg

Came out great, I'll throw in bacon with the sherry and heavy milk addition next time. For crab, I went with the lazy way out and picked up a pound of crab meat from Costco for 10 bucks, no shells to mess with. I'm not a fan of lobster, but I'm sure this recipe would taste great if you like that kind of thing.

Wow, just FYI guys I added a pack of thick cut bacon that I cooked and diced to the crab bisque recipe and it is incredible. I added the diced bacon the same time as the crab. This is an AMAZING recipe and I've made a double batch of this 3 times already including tonight. Also going to throw together some pulled pork mac and cheese tonight with some of my home made smoked pulled pork which I still have in the freezer.

Back