recommended cutting board and non-stick pan

assume no real budget unless ur gonna throw like a $200 pan at me

ya i have a big wood cutting board now but it is big for my apt and i am realizing it is probably not smart 2 cut fruit and raw beef on it

wood is fine if u clean it. sanituff boards are great, though. the bigger the better.

i used to use a nonstick for eggs but after replacing it for the 5th time i switched to stainless. use some oil and correct heat and they wont stick.

anyways best place to get decent pans for cheap is tj maxx/marshalls/homegoods. they'll have a bunch of nonstick and stainless to choose from. most nonstick is basically the same.

For eggs correct heat on ss is perfect imo though cast iron also works just as well if it's good cast iron. The real key though is the correct temp for frying eggs(~250-275) I am a bad judge of temp so I use one of those infrared thermometers which is great plus it also doubles as a great way to taunt the dog.

how can u tell if the pan is hot enuff without a thermometer

i can tell for meat because of how the oil moves and if it just starts to smoke

thank u friends Claude

Last edited:
Ya idk i never had a way I was comfortable with. I mean if your range is a nice gas range u'll get an idea pretty quickly after a few tries but past few places I've lived hav had terible electric ranges hence y i just bought an infrared thermometer like this one

Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

Love it and use it a lot but like I said plenty of ppl just learn through experience but with shitty ranges causing cold spots you might end up finding that being kind of spotty which the infrared thermometer saves the day on. It also keeps me from getting impatient and throwing food on before a pan has perfectly warmed up(which I have tons of problems with because for some reason I'm always in a hurry).

you dont need a thermometer. most people use a drop of water or like you said, the consistency of the oil. IR therms dont work well with clean stainless steel anyway because it reflects and gives an inaccurate reading. works very well for dark surfaces though.

mostly with eggs just dont add them to the pan until the pan+oil is hot but not blasting. too cold is worse than too hot in terms of stickage. too hot just means you'll overcook them. also fresher eggs release better.

using a good, thin spatula is also important if you're trying to keep the eggs whole

i do not have gas range i have a little glass top stove gg

k i will just keep burning eggs until i get it right

ty :heart:

The ss doesn't give a reading without a little oil in the pan this is true. But just a bit of oil and that problem is fixed so not really sure how that's a problem.

I got most of my All-Clad (90% of which was the copper core stuff) at Homegoods/TJ Maxx/Marshalls. I usually wound up paying 50 bucks for a 300 dollar retail pan.

Like giga said though, I switched to stainless for eggs after having to replace a nonstick. I haven't used my nonstick since. And the wood block is fine, but just make sure you clean it. I cut plenty of fruit and raw meats on it, but I always clean it immediately.

i have cooks standard which was supposed to be a decent alternative for all-clad

i think i fucked it up tho and scraped off any kind of coating cause i used to scrape it clean with a metal spatula

is that possible

Last edited:
The ss doesn't give a reading without a little oil in the pan this is true. But just a bit of oil and that problem is fixed so not really sure how that's a problem.

i keep my stainless very clean and oil or not, it's still very much off the mark. if i point it at a dirty spot, it instantly hits the correct temp. shrug.

i have cooks standard which was supposed to be a decent alternative for all-clad

i think i fucked it up tho and scraped off any kind of coating cause i used to scrape it clean with a metal spatula

is that possible

This is one of the caveats of nonstick. It scratches pretty easily and should not be used once it has a scratch in it. Nonstick pans also can't go in the dishwasher.

Back