Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page lawn/yard care
Page 1 of 2
cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 03-24-2013, 14:36
I bought a house from the trust of the original owners. it's 50 years old. they kinda let the yard go as they got older, so everything was overgrown and whatever planters or garden beds they had are long since eroded.

the soil here is adobe clay. I've excavated some areas of the yard and I've found what seems to be gravel paths and areas under a cap of about 4 to 6 inches of dirt. in some places it's obvious that the dirt could have come down off the hill behind my house. in other places the hill isn't anywhere close so the dirt was either purposely placed on top of the gravel or the dirt is the remains of planter beds.

is there any reason why someone would cap a layer of gravel with additional soil? given that the area here is adobe clay and it doesn't always drain that well it kinda makes sense that they'd install a more permeable layer under a top layer of soil. however, I don't really know anything about this. to me it looks like old gravel paths and areas that haven't been maintained for the last 10+ years.

Sponsored Links
Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 03-24-2013, 14:38
for sure

LogRoller
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 03-24-2013, 14:38
the gravel is covering dead bodies

JustinCase
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 03-24-2013, 14:59
prob, centipede grass grows in almost anything

Phyzx
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 03-24-2013, 15:33
its called "topsoil".

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 03-24-2013, 15:47
it is on top, so that would make sense.

liquidh2o
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 03-24-2013, 15:53
French drain? They're generally used where water pools arund the house. If the water isn't drained away and instead sits near the foundation it can cause issues. We had our builder install a French drain around the home because we found water underneath (house is on piers). A house down the road had the same issue but didn't get a French drain installed. The house down the road has shifted considerably to the point doors can no longer close because the entryways are crooked. Can also cause issues with wood flooring.

Last edited by liquidh2o; 03-24-2013 at 16:00..
cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 03-24-2013, 16:16
I have two french drains in the back yard - one on either side. those are nicely run down trenches filled with very coarse gravel and large rocks. one of them had totally silted up. I dug it all out, washed the rocks off, and put them back in. found earth worms in there what were easily 7 to 9 inches long.

it looks like I had a gravel lined drainage ditch at the back side of the lawn that drained to either side of the yard and into the french drains.

Stryker
VeteranXX
Old
9 - 03-24-2013, 16:22
Like others have said it's for drainage.
Don't go ****ing with it unless you want a pond for a yard or a
****ed up foundation and/or flooded basement.

Call a professional if you plan on any major landscaping changes.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 03-24-2013, 17:10
my backyard is a hill and it's downhill to the street so while I get some puddles it's not going to become a pond. last spring I had water running through my garage because of the silted up french drain and the clay cap out by the back door to the garage. the water just flowed right off the clay and through the garage. digging down through that cap to divert water to the french drain is when I first discovered the layer of gravel.

I wish I had pictures of this backyard 30 years ago. that would give me a better idea of what's going on.

caelum
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 03-24-2013, 17:13
sounds like a great place for house

bam
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 03-24-2013, 18:49
You might actually have to speak to a real landscape architect. I mean a legit one and not Jose.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 03-24-2013, 22:43
yeah, we plan on doing that eventually. this is just general "what can I do now to make it look at least marginally taken care of." our front yard is juniper bushes. the back yard is a small patchy patch of grass and a hill. we've tossed around ideas for retaining walls and terraces and **** and it's all stuff I don't want to touch because I don't know what I'm doing.

excavating the side of the house today it looks like it's an old gravel path. there's a gravel bed that's probably about 4 inches deep bordered on each side by a half inch rotted board. on the fence side the dirt cap was probably between 4 and 6 inches deep. on the house side it was 1 to 2 inches. I'm guessing they had wooden planters or something over there and they removed rotten wood at some point and they just slumped over time across the path. that's the only reason I can figure for the lack of uniform depth. I'd like to think that if it was done on purpose it would be 4 to 6 inches deep all the way across. only good part about it is that it's fairly easy to dig out. push down until you feel gravel, lever out the shovel and it just comes away from the gravel bed no problem.

don't know what to do with dirt tho. maybe build some planters.

bam
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 03-24-2013, 23:00
Yeah. That's a tough situation to deal with.

naptown
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 03-24-2013, 23:01
can i post ur address and we all decide what u need via google street view

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 03-25-2013, 22:05
the good part is that I have friends who beg me for the opportunity to come over and dig in the dirt. that's wtf crazy. it's like someone begging for the chance to do your taxes for you. for free.

jerry
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 03-25-2013, 22:08
by friend do u mean raging transgender gun control european babby touchin fuks

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 03-25-2013, 22:10
I don't have any friends like that.

jerry
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 03-25-2013, 22:11
may b u should move 2 australia u weirdo

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
20 - 03-26-2013, 00:37
They walk upsidedown down there and their toilets flush backwards.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page lawn/yard care

Social Website Bullshit