Old
161 - 04-07-2014, 05:06 PM
what are you climbing these days?

Sponsored Links
ElectroWaffle
VeteranXV
Old
162 - 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Outdoor, occasionally able to do .11's (not leading), can toprope most .10's, completely comfortable leading .9's, struggling on leading .10's.

I've been climbing regularly for about a year now. Last Fall/Winter I was mostly in the gym, climbing maybe once/twice a week. Now the time has changed I'm climbing after work, outdoors, 2-3 times a week.

Still get nervy about taking lead falls and usually the cause of my mental hesitation on harder routes.

Haven't tried trad yet, one day.

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
163 - 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm mostly in the same boat as Electro, maybe some intermediate grades higher.

But honestly, I've been on a huge bouldering kick. Most v3s and a good number of 4s are onsights now, been projecting 5s and 6s. Finally ordered my first rope, so that should be coming in relatively soon. Pretty pumped about that.

Some media for you bros:

Bouldering this past weekend

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../images/v4.mp4

V4 that was randomly recorded a little bit ago

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
164 - 04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
I call bouldering "brouldering" because it seems to attract most of the bros at my climbing gym. Shirts are seemingly not allowed and climbing jargon is mandatory. It's kind of a turnoff to try and work in with that crowd

I'm similar in terms of skill level but not as advanced as you guys. I can lead 5.9 and below comfortably. I can do most .10s and I'm working on .11s since the emphasis on footwork and body positioning tends to help my climbing overall (even if I don't succeed)

Lead falls are scary (I nearly had one after being z-clipped but thankfully discovered the error before I burnt out)

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
165 - 05-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Set my first roped problem. Kind of a pain in the ass but pretty rewarding when the movement doesn't suck.

Tessien
Veteran++
Old
166 - 05-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Was going through my photos. Thought I'd post some stuff from my trip to Baker.

The total trip was two days, Day 1: driving to the mountain, hike to base camp, practicing glacier travel with two members of our group who hadn't done it.

On the way up we passed one of Baker's serac fields.

A couple of our guys didn't know how to self rescue, so we taught them some basic skills. Beginning with lowering into a crevasse.

To ascend out you use a pair of prussics, your foot goes in one, a hand in another. You can slide these up the rope, and climb them like a ladder, combined with a third tie in connecting the climber to the rope.

Prussic.

Day 2: Summit day, started at 4 am.

We climbed Baker via the Coleman glacier route.

You can see the clouds formed by Baker piercing the jet stream.

There was an inversion the whole day.

Just after a pumice ridge, putting crampons back on for the ascent up the Roman headwall.

We passed more than a few nasty crevasses, this is partway up the roman headwall.

Summit shot. The whole area smells like sulfur, as Baker is still volcanically active.

Descending the headwall.

Crampons back on at the ridge again.

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
167 - 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glare View Post
I call bouldering "brouldering" because it seems to attract most of the bros at my climbing gym. Shirts are seemingly not allowed and climbing jargon is mandatory. It's kind of a turnoff to try and work in with that crowd
The owner of the bouldering gym near my place has a "keep your shirt on" policy. It seems to have filtered out all the bros.

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
168 - 05-28-2014, 09:42 PM
did a 2 day climbing trip at horseshoe canyon this weekend. did some lead climbing and top rope. the crowds were massive and we had hangovers both days but despite that it was still a lot of fun

easy lead climb:

a deceptive climb. it looked super easy from the ground but the crux in the middle resulted in my buddy taking a decent lead fall:

failed miserably here. the rock was crumbling as we tried and the gap between the 3rd and 4th bolt was about 15 feet. would've been a sick lead fall:

i'll try and get some more pics

Tessien
Veteran++
Old
169 - 06-02-2014, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTeknik View Post
The owner of the bouldering gym near my place has a "keep your shirt on" policy. It seems to have filtered out all the bros.
The shirt weighs me down.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
170 - 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Pictures, no words. Happy to explain what anything is.

Rorschach
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
171 - 06-14-2014, 02:55 PM
i am doing my first day of climbing today

i.e. i am going to learn belaying and hate my life

edit: i actually did bouldering and tight rope walking or w/e it's called instead FINALLY

Last edited by Rorschach; 06-14-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Fonzie
VeteranX
Old
172 - 06-17-2014, 12:47 PM
slacklining?

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
173 - 06-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Had my first climb in a thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago. It was totally unexpected and kind of stressful (also slightly badass when you walk into camp soaking wet with a muddy rope).

The sky turned grey and it looked like it was going to rain, but it seemed like we still had quite some time so I tried to finish teh climb to pick up the gear (top rope anchor), but within like 2 minutes the wind picked up and a crazy downpour started almost immediately.
Next thing I know, I'm trying to take down an anchor in the middle of a major thunderstorm, I can't hear anything my belayer is saying because of the thunder and I can't see **** because my glasses are all wet. Luckily my partner and I have been climbing for a while together and we could communicate with rope tugs, but I can totally see how people might seriously screw up in situations like those.
The storm came out of nowhere, and it's pretty freaky being halfway up a cliff strapped to bits of metal in the middle of a thunderstorm when you can see lightning all around you.

Also coiling a wet rope in torrential rain is fun. The hike down the mountain in wet hiking shoes was even more fun.

Page 9 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [2013] Climbing Thread

Social Website Bullshit