Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [2013] Climbing Thread
Page 2 of 9
BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
21 - 03-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Stemming routes rock my lower back, but are fun as hell.

That is all.

Sponsored Links
BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
22 - 04-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Reviving this a little bit

Flashed a 5.11 for the first time today

Aww yeah

Vault
VeteranX
Old
23 - 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Nice Job. Outdoors?

I just signed up for membership at the new climbing gym in LIC. Way bigger than Brooklyn Boulders with like double the amount of lead climbs. Started going over my gear at home too - going to need to replace some soft goods but my rack is looking good to go for this season's outdoor shenanigans.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
24 - 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Went ski-14ering over the weekend. It was windy.

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
25 - 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault View Post
Nice Job. Outdoors?

I just signed up for membership at the new climbing gym in LIC. Way bigger than Brooklyn Boulders with like double the amount of lead climbs. Started going over my gear at home too - going to need to replace some soft goods but my rack is looking good to go for this season's outdoor shenanigans.
I wish it were outdoors. My school actually has a really nice (and free, for me) indoor climbing center which I go to most days after work, so it was on that.

Hopefully going on a climbing trip to Idyllwild in the next couple weeks.

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
26 - 05-04-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm doing my lead cert next week, then all the anchoring and stuff courses so I can hopefully get more outdoor climbs this season (I only got to go a few times last summer ). Kind of not looking forward to all the gear purchases on top of the course pricing though.

I have yet to go bouldering outdoors. For some reason I find the idea way more terrifying than anything else, I guess because I have zero faith in crash mats outside. The closest I came to outdoor bouldering is when I noticed some dude had bolted climbing holds under a bridge (trying that was a terrible idea, there was a slope under the bridge that ended up with me rolling down into gravel when I inevitably screwed up, yay).

A bouldering gym opened right next to my house last year, so I've practically just been doing indoors bouldering since. It's kind of weird going top-roping now, there's so much less crazy moves stuff that everything seems easy aside from just sheer endurance. I'm going to try a 5.11 next time and see how that goes, so far the 5.10 stuff has been way easier than I expected.

Denver
VeteranX
Old
27 - 05-04-2013, 05:22 PM
I only climb long multi-pitches with a rope nowdays, if it's a choice between bouldering or ropeclimbing I always chose bouldering in a heartbeat.

haven't climbed much in the past month or so :/ need to get going again.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
28 - 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Skied three 14ers this weekend. Total of about 11,000' and 26ish miles. I am friggin le tired.

Tessien
Veteran++
Old
29 - 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Yesterday, 6 pitch trad route up the Apron in Squamish. Today sport climbing. Nothing too hard.

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
30 - 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Lead clinic this past thursday and some indoor lead practice saturday. It's addicting.

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
31 - 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, is there a good way to improve thumb strength for pinches and stuff (other than climbing stuff with tons of pinches)?

I never really noticed before, but my thumb grip isn't that strong compared to everything else. I was trying a v5 with an odd start (the starting piece is a skull at an angle on an overhang, which sounds like it would be a great hold but isn't really). It's very awkward to grip and the way most people were doing it was by holding on to it as a pinch (in the eyeholes), which I was completely unable to do.

Glare
VeteranXV
Old
32 - 05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
i'm supposed to go climbing memorial day weekend

i'm a complete and total first timer so what tips do you have

evidently all gear is provided and there's some pretty experienced climbers in the group but i'm open to any of your suggestions

Tessien
Veteran++
Old
33 - 05-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Use your legs, trust your feet. Don't overgrip holds.

Denver
VeteranX
Old
34 - 05-10-2013, 02:19 AM
you are going to use way too much force on your first time, which will results in forearms caving in. Don't let this put you down, happens to everyone. First you're gripping the holds like your life depends on it, and later you know just how much force you need to stay on the hold.

Besides that have fun!

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
35 - 05-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Get your feet up

And enjoy the feeling of your forearms feeling like they're too big for your arm skin

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
36 - 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
**** breakable crust.

Denver
VeteranX
Old
37 - 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
**** breakable crust.
amen.

Yoda
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
38 - 05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I climb indoors 3-4 days a week. Don't have much time in residency to get outdoors much, but get out every other month or so. Nothing really great in the Houston area so we have to go to Reimers up by Austin, Potrero, Horseshoe Canyon or Red Rock. My onsight is 11a, redpoint ~12a.

Going to also do Horseshoe Hell this year: Home

Basically you climb for 24 hours straight. My partner has an onsight of 12b+ and won it a couple years ago, so it should be fun. He also just bought 2 GoPros for it, so we should have some decent photos/video after.

I also took a 25 foot indoor fall on Wednesday up in St. Louis at Climb So Ill. Product of me gaining weight, my wife losing weight and me falling from 4-5 feet above my last clip. Nothing unsafe about it, but 105lbs doesn't really stop 155lbs when falling fast, she was stopped by the first clip on the route...

Last edited by Yoda; 05-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Denver
VeteranX
Old
39 - 05-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Sounds great, if you get the hold of the video material he films, please post some highlights!

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
40 - 05-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Competed in a university wide climbing competition this past weekend. Been climbing for about 4 months and was my first legit athletic competition since high school. Competed in the intermediate category (routes ranging from 5.9-10c) and took 2nd.

It was a total blast.

For proof, here is my silver painted crimp I won as a trophy.

Page 2 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [2013] Climbing Thread

Social Website Bullshit