Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [2013] Climbing Thread
Page 1 of 9
BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
1 - 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Not sure how much interest there is on TW, but thought I'd try (also, last climbing thread I could find in search was pretty old).

Just started climbing often 2-3 months ago. Been going almost exclusively indoor since my school has a pretty solid indoor setup with a bunch of top roping routes and a nice, but small, bouldering section. I've just started to be able to flash 5.10a-b's and top out in bouldering in the v3-v4 range.

Would love to hear others' experiences/climbing tips/outdoor climbing destination suggestions/anything.

Let's do it.

Sponsored Links
sarbuze
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
2 - 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Great thread idea, will contribute more later just came in to say hi.

Denver
VeteranX
Old
3 - 02-28-2013, 05:13 AM
I support this.
Right now I am climbing indoors too as it's winter in here (aka snow everywhere).
Occasional bouts of ice climbing (like once a month).
Have managed to tackle few v8 boulders indoors, last summer climbed v6's outside this summer definitely some v7s and gonna project some v9s too (just to see how far off they are).

Climbing with some tough climbers (v11-v12) has been improving me alot this past 5 months. Also working off days for the best bouldering center around here has helped alot too.

If any of you ever come to Finland I'll promise to take you out for some climbing action!

sarbuze
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
4 - 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
If any of you ever come to Finland I'll promise to take you out for some climbing action!
I might take you up on that for this fall! Though, you'd have to deal with my 5.10 (hopefully 5.11) and V4-5ish bouldering

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
5 - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Glad this is getting a little love. I think bouldering might be my calling, but my crimping is currently pretty pathetic. That, along with underdeveloped technique and being 5'8" is causing a couple problems, but I can see improvement pretty much every day.

Now for some pictures. I live in Santa Barbara so I can climb pretty much all year round. Here's a few shots (on a ****ty iphone camera) from my first outdoor trip a month or two ago.

In front of the face we were working on

First outdoor ascent

Reward after the day at a little tavern back in the mountains

Santa Barbara isn't so bad

Last edited by BIGSEX_; 02-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Denver
VeteranX
Old
6 - 03-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Some bouldering pics from Åland (taken 2011). It seems I do not have any pics from my 2012 adventures (gf must hoard them somewhere away from me).

Some V5 problem.

Hammas my first 7a+ (topo for it Hammas at Grottan )

Also from Åland, can't remember the name of the route nor remember the area where it was in. another 7a+

The missus frustrated on failed flash attempt (promised never to show this image to anyone, but as she's hoarding our new pics, what can I do).

And some leisure time for the pads as we all went for a swim in the ocean.

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
7 - 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I started indoor bouldering last month. It's extremely fun and makes me feel like a wuss.

I am relatively long limbed and flexible luckily so I've been banging out some routes at the local place that I probably wouldn't be able to do so based on my newbie skills.

I doubt I'll end up doing any serious outdoor climbing though I've heard there are tons of good spots near me in Boston/NE area. We'll see ;O

sarbuze
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
8 - 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shinzo View Post
I started indoor bouldering last month. It's extremely fun and makes me feel like a wuss.

I am relatively long limbed and flexible luckily so I've been banging out some routes at the local place that I probably wouldn't be able to do so based on my newbie skills.

I doubt I'll end up doing any serious outdoor climbing though I've heard there are tons of good spots near me in Boston/NE area. We'll see ;O
I'm in CT- great rock up here in NE.

Fonzie
VeteranX
Old
9 - 03-01-2013, 06:29 PM
I've been wanting to start bouldering but not sure where to begin. Any good reads on technique and other necessary beginner stuff? I used to just climb infrequently with friends when they went climbing but I honestly know nothing about it and would love to learn.

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
10 - 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
At least in my experience, an indoor bouldering gym is great to start because 1. you don't have to go finding outdoor boulders and problems and 2. people are almost invariably willing to share their experience and expertise to help you out.

As far as technique, I learned everything I know thus far pretty much on the job, with lots of help from friends and fellow climbers. I've googled stuff here or there about specific things (mostly exercises for targeting finger and forearm strength), but that's about it.

Also, great pics Denver. Those problems look like a ton of fun.

NightWear
VeteranX
Old
11 - 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM
hell ya, makes me wanna go climb an indoor wall right now. got me pumped.

|R|u|s|t|y|
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM
I've been climbing for a bit over a year now, and I currently monitor at my university's rock climbing club. It's bouldering only. Never been outside, haven't had the chance.

I ****ing suck. I can get a V3, maybe.

Denver
VeteranX
Old
13 - 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Climbing is very specific,
meaning no matter how much you lift at the gym you won't get better at climbing :/
(not saying going to gym is useless, but as climbing has lot's to do with weird positions in which you need to extort power and all about grip strength which is also specific to the holds on the rock)

So I am sure rusty that you'll improve in no time, just keep climbing.

Vault
VeteranX
Old
14 - 03-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Spent all winter playing on NE ice - Probably going to start leading next year as I'm pretty comfortable on WI5/5+ and I've gotten about 30-40 climbs in this year.

This summer I need to get back on real rock - the last three years or so I've been ignoring climbing in lieu of training for big alpine stuff. My rack and rope has been sitting unused in a closet for way too long.

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
15 - 03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Anyone have any general advice on lead climbing? Gonna take a clinic this week and hoping to avoid ****ting my pants on my first fall.

Denver
VeteranX
Old
16 - 03-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSEX_ View Post
Anyone have any general advice on lead climbing? Gonna take a clinic this week and hoping to avoid ****ting my pants on my first fall.
They'll teach you all the basics, my personal preference is not to climb a positive wall when leading. Not fun to fall down 10 feet whilst scratching yourself on the positive fall all the time. If the wall is positive and I have time to react when falling I kick myself off the wall.
No probs with overhangs, just control the swing and make sure your feet hits the wall first.

Also you can practice clipping with one hand, which is the "hard part" for beginners.

sarbuze
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
17 - 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Reno (and others): What's a good website for old season ski gear? I want to get an alpine touring kit complete with skins, etc.

Thanks.

Vault
VeteranX
Old
18 - 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbuze View Post
Reno (and others): What's a good website for old season ski gear? I want to get an alpine touring kit complete with skins, etc.

Thanks.
Buy/Sell Used Outdoor Camping and Hiking Equipment at GearTrade.com - #1 in Outdoor Gear Exchange

BIGSEX_
Veteran5
Old
19 - 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
On sighted a 5.10 a/b and flashed a 5.10c yesterday. Feelin good.

Tessien
Veteran++
Old
20 - 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I've been climbing off and on for a few years, I typically on-sight f.11a in the gym, lead 5.10b/c outdoors. Weather has been terribad here in BC, so its been indoors climbing for a few months now.

Page 1 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [2013] Climbing Thread

Social Website Bullshit