Pessimist's Impression

Feannag

Veteran XV
So I was invited to the past weekend beta, and felt I can't really complain about it unless I actually did try it. Pretty sure over the weekend I put a solid... 8 - 10 hours into it, even to get to level 11 or so. I'm sure I could have hashed into it more than that but eh, it was enough for a first impressions. Now mind you have haven't been a fan of Star Wars since Lucas murdered all sense of the Force with midi-chlorians. Funny though, how after the bad second "filaogy" midi-chlorians are rarely (if ever) mentioned again and seems more or less replaced by "Force sensitivity". Lucas and his typical backpedaling, lucky for him the universe can sustain itself through more creative minds.

The feel... Let's be honest they very nearly copied and pasted WoWs keybindings and hotbar in. But I suppose that is part of the point, attempting to take a chunk from the WoW playerbase (usually Star Wars and/or Bioware fanboys) to sustain their release. Which is all fine and well, the MMO scene is not really shown innovation any favor so you go with what works and WoW has worked for years. It was easy to pick up and play thanks to that, so there's a lower initial learning curve figuring shit out.

Story? To be fair the only bioware game I played was half of Knights of the Old Republic and I thought it was pretty good. I was a little miffed how boolean the ethics system was, but it was one of the first so you can't really complain. I'll respect them for trying to bring their ideals of unique adventures and individualized storylines to MMOs, and in that they did a much better job of it than anyone could. But this is an MMO, this rather large content on release is nice but it is only a matter of time before it gets boring. And it will, it always does because that is how MMOs are. What they have right now will work for a good time, but I hope they have a better plan for end-game and providing content because it seems really infeasible to sustain this initial quality.

Gameplay was more or less expected. It played well, abilities were interesting and helped in controlling fights and it didn't feel clunky or awkward. There were some jerks, but it was a stress test so those little hiccups will be forgiven assuming they don't happen on release. I liked how the recall would let you pick between any area in the zone, but getting from zone to zone felt encumbering. Not sure when you get your first ship but it feels like a bear having to go through shuttles and spaceports just to get to a new zone. The "advanced classes" were nice, but it felt a tad cheap. I mean the cap being bounced around was something around 50, and you get the advanced stuff at 10? And even then class shares two of its three trees with it's counterpart, the whole system felt like it wasn't completely thought out. Like they wanted to be different from WoW but couldn't figure out how exactly. But I should go on about the things I thought were good.

Companions were an interesting addition. I enjoyed the fact you can make them sell your vendor junk while you continued to quest, alleviating the need to go back to a vendor. Giving them gear gives a bit more customization in how you want them to function. Though it was irritating when it came time to craft you had to make them do it rather than do it yourself. I didn't see a button to do that, and never bothered to dismiss them. As I felt, conversation choices that were not linked to Light/Dark ultimately seemed to be there to affect companion affection.

As well the gear modification systems were very nice. I dabbled briefly in Artifice as a Sith Sorceress, and I enjoyed the re-useability of weapons by crafting/finding/buying new parts for my lightsaber.

From a per game standpoint, I'd give it 4/5 despite my distaste for what has become of the franchise. It has reasonable potential to unseat WoW and hold dominion for some years, provided Bioware doesn't make the same mistakes Blizzard did. But let's be honest, it may be less about the developers and more about the stockholders at this rate.

Oh, and flame on.

Midichlorians... Dude, let it go. Everyone else has.

Pretty good review. I found the game was easier to get my head around if I played it like it was KOTOR with other people in the world. You can pretty much get through the first 2 planets' worth of questing without having to interact with another player. Nearly all the KOTOR elements are there from the start, so why not?

I just hope I'm finished with Skyrim in time to catch the early start. :p:

God I am really trying to avoid reading about the game (I want maximum wunderment for my Sith Inquisitor Assassin Barf Vader, the Wookie bad-ass mirrored to look like John Candy in Spaceballs)

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I was really surprised by the game. I only got to level 10 I believe (or maybe it was 9). Playing a Bounty Hunter.....I wasn't super taken with the bounty hunter story. is there an over-arching storyline later on?

Loved being in the Imperial spaceport and city.....they nailed that look.

Unlike Star Wars Galaxies, I feel that BioWare really nailed the 'look and feel' of Star Wars.

Advanced classes only share 1 tree with the counterpart, and I'm hearing rumor that they aren't even mirrored trees anymore.

Got to 30 over the weekend and wanted to play even more :(

As much as I dislike Star Wars as a franchise I do feel I should be just to those who choose to work within it. I mean it isn't there fault Lucas is a moron, and grateful his universe has become so rich it can be sustained by other creative minds. I mean I did throughly enjoy Force Unleashed and Knights, despite Lucas' nonsense.

The only real thing I worry about is what happens next. They put a lot of effort and time into all the class storylines and took that extra step into immersion into your character. But eventually people will play through most (if not all) the content, and at that point then what? Do they have a solid game plan for endgame and expansions? Do they have enough story and ideas stockpiled up to make content is a steady flow once everyone's been at cap for a while? Do they intend to try and balance PvE and PvP or will they segregate? How will they handle gear scaling between the two and any expansions? It was known from WoW Blizzard didn't really anticipate nor play for WoWs popularity at the time and they were kind of learning as they went. Will Bioware learn from these mistakes now while the game is still new and there's no expansions yet? Ultimately how those questions will be answered will ultimately determine if I play, but at present it is a good offering.

I had a small glimpse of the "community" this weekend though and that was I think my main negative observation. They give everyone so far the ability to revive players, but the community seems to be coming from WoW and as such feels like it. Many times I died in an area where people were also playing and watched me die and yet not one bothered to offer a revive. Couldn't take 5 seconds out of their time to revive a fellow player. I guess they didn't want the extra competition for quest items/kills but still it is a small glimpse into how TORs community could be shaping up come release. I'd hope Bioware will start to implement systems to promote community and teamwork better, or else the same cyber-social diseases that plagued WoW
will simply transfer here.

Midichlorians... Dude, let it go. Everyone else has.

Never, I will NEVER let the notion of midichlorians. I grew up on the original trilogy and all the toys. Even down to silly small pewter figures and playsets in addition to the plastic ones. The entire NOTION of the Force was the spiritual and the divine, the notion there are some things science can't explain. And even in an advanced world of incredible technologies and science somehow the spiritual survives the notion of being explained. That anyone in the galaxies, for any species, could have the heart and spirit to transcend their own petty nonsense to be Jedi. That the dark side was brought on by negative emotions such as fear, anger, and greed was something tangible in an emotional and spiritual sense but outside the boundaries of science.

All the power and idealism that was the Force was irreversibly destroyed when Lucas stated the Force can be scientifically measured and explained by creatures called midichlorians. You mean it doesn't matter how much you believe or how deeply you think on issues of morals and ethics and faith, ultimately your power with the Force is determined solely by sub-atomic bugs that inhabit all matter?

You can call it Force Sensitivity all you like, it will now never change the fact it ruined the Force and in one stroke crippled the ideology of Star Wars. That is what killed Star Wars for me, not the terrible first trilogy. Those pieces of garbage could have been forgiven had the Force been left as a mysterious, spiritual divinity lying outside the confines of hard science.

I will NEVER forget nor forgive the midichlorians...

you can't bind stuff to mousewheel.....this is 2011!?

I would love to hear how you got the impression that the Force was some mirror of the notion that there are things science can't explain from awfully written, horribly acted, and hilariously formulaic films that display only a minute fraction of what makes the SW universe so engaging.

I would love to hear how you got the impression that the Force was some mirror of the notion that there are things science can't explain from awfully written, horribly acted, and hilariously formulaic films that display only a minute fraction of what makes the SW universe so engaging.

I believe I already did, but if your literary skills are so deficient you can't figure it out then get someone to explain it in stupid terms for you.

Playing a Bounty Hunter.....I wasn't super taken with the bounty hunter story. is there an over-arching storyline later on?

nope, fly arould galaxy, shoot people for money, get attacked by jedi and then go back to shooting people for money.

I haven't finished the bh story yet but I'm pretty close to done in the low 40s.

nope, fly arould galaxy, shoot people for money, get attacked by jedi and then go back to shooting people for money.

I haven't finished the bh story yet but I'm pretty close to done in the low 40s.

Really?

After the press NDA was lifted I read in several articles and heard on two different podcast that the BH story line was one of the best story lines from the Empire side of the game and had a lot more depth than anything on the Republic side.

Last edited:
Apparently I got an email the other day saying I would be invited yet again for a beta testing weekend. I suspect I would get it around Thursday or so, but it makes little sense. I mean how much data could you honestly get from two and a half days over a full week? I just didn't think a weekend would be enough to give people a "proper flavor" of TOR but whatever. I am skeptical I would buy it until after people got a taste for endgame.

Back