Failure, challenge, and the decline of WoW

Uh, the proposed talent changes are a step in the right direction. There's always going to be a cookie cutter spec for every single class/spec in the game with the current talent trees. So why bother having a system like that when everyone is using the same exact spec? After browsing over the new talent tiers, there doesn't seem to be an outstanding best choice for every tier, so at least we might actually see some different "specs" this time around for once.

Well this will just heap another pile of instability on the pile of class/role/PvP/PvE balances. That is assuming they were actually making viable attempts to balance it all rather than the see-saw'ing they have been doing from class to class.

Whether it is a step in the right direction or not is up for debate. It may very well be, but the problem is it is a step taken too late. I still think initially they didn't plan on continuing WoW past 12 - 18 months of initial release, simply assuming it will have the usual shelf life of an MMORPG. The popularity was unprecedented for them and they simply weren't prepared for the task at hand once they realized the popularity. They should have started stuff like this back in late-TBC/early-WotLK, and worked towards balancing and patching for the long haul. I think if that had happened it would have been an entirely different game. I still think the Activision merger didn't help things at all but that's just me.

Right now it simply isn't enough to keep me interested anymore. I'll admit in terms of game-per-dollar I got a huge bargain in the process. And all the good games that came and went in that time? They are still there, waiting for me to play them. With the added bonus they are now old enough to have huge markdowns on them.

There are no WoW apologists you idiot. The bulk of us play for lack of a substitute game to play, a portion of us are waiting on TOR and the other portion is waiting on GW2. With a small sprinkling of Diablo3 waiters.
i think it's funny that you say there are no other games to play when there are countless better games.

you're an addict

just accept it

Feannag wants to exchange bodily fluids with this fine gentleman

kottick.jpg

i think it's funny that you say there are no other games to play when there are countless better games.

you're an addict

just accept it

Yup. And you can validate how much money you spent by spending a lot of time in the game, but you can't get around the fact that you spent a vast amount of that time in the game doing nothing, simply because you were bored and didn't want to play anything else, or hell, even do anything else at all.

You are addicted by habit, if nothing else.

you're an addict

just accept it

Your reading comprehension is such you only read what you want to read versus what is actually there.

Yup. And you can validate how much money you spent by spending a lot of time in the game, but you can't get around the fact that you spent a vast amount of that time in the game doing nothing, simply because you were bored and didn't want to play anything else, or hell, even do anything else at all.

And how much "something" gets done playing Halo? Or Mass Effect? Or Assassin's Creed? Or MW or CoD? You don't do anything but nothing playing any game. When I was playing WoW I passed over a lot of other games other "normal" people do, except the difference is those games will still be there when I am done with WoW. I spent less money per month on gaming playing WoW than I did constantly buying other games. And now WoW is more or less over for me I can go back and play all those games when I want to and now I don't have to pay the release prices of $60 - $70 a pop and pick them from the pre-owned/"best-seller" lists for $20 - $40.

Last edited:
Your reading comprehension is such you only read what you want to read versus what is actually there.

And how much "something" gets done playing Halo? Or Mass Effect? Or Assassin's Creed? Or MW or CoD? You don't do anything but nothing playing any game. When I was playing WoW I passed over a lot of other games other "normal" people do, except the difference is those games will still be there when I am done with WoW. I spent less money per month on gaming playing WoW than I did constantly buying other games. And now WoW is more or less over for me I can go back and play all those games when I want to and now I don't have to pay the release prices of $60 - $70 a pop and pick them from the pre-owned/"best-seller" lists for $20 - $40.

Like I said, validate it any way you want in the amount of money spent, it still amounts to spending too much time in WoW. Using a financial gauge for it is pretty much useless, since it is one of the cheapest forms of computer entertainment available as an addict. Consider time wasted on it in terms of alternative uses and it cost a lot more.

Like I said, validate it any way you want in the amount of money spent, it still amounts to spending too much time in WoW. Using a financial gauge for it is pretty much useless, since it is one of the cheapest forms of computer entertainment available as an addict. Consider time wasted on it in terms of alternative uses and it cost a lot more.

How is this different than lvl 50s in BC2 or people who played on top tribes teams? Everyone here remembers the days of playing tribes for hours on end, finishing a round of RD and losing and going "goddamnit we'll get them next time" and playing an entire server rotation on NJ Combat just to get back to RD and not realizing you just played 6 maps at 25 minutes each to get there.

People get to caught up in that the only way to play an MMO is to be horribly addicted or not at all; as if playing casually is completely impossible. It's ridiculous and entirely fed off of a negative stigma brought on by stereotyping everyone based on a percentage of the population of the game.

I mean shit, you have almost 30,000 posts on TW in 8 years. Are you addicted? I would say absolutely yes! but you would probably disagree because to be addicted to a videogame forum is considered sad and pathetic. Yet you post 10x a day every single day of your life (on average) without fail.

Who is more pathetic? Maybe we should let he who is without electronic crutch cast the first stone eh?

Looking at it that way, playing any game is a waste of time and is only done because we're all addicted by habit. If I'm online in WoW I'm actively doing something. Sometimes that might be flying in circles for an hour while bullshitting in ventrilo or guild chat, but it's no different than an hour spent playing any game.

you can spend an hour reading shakespeare or an hour just looking at the pictures in a dr suess book.

its no different than an hour spent reading any book!

literally the worst analogy ever

I mean the one guy isn't even reading he is just looking at pictures, the other guy is reading shakespeare which I guess is trying to illustrate that he is getting more out of his reading time? But really artistically Dr Seuss is both a world-renown author (his birthday is March 2nd which is "National Reading Day" ), poet and artist with a series of lifetime achievement awards, a massive empire spanning several movies, a theme park and of course many many reprints of classic books, a vast set of interesting and timely underlying meanings and symbolic references in his literature and he's been sighted as one of the single greatest authors for spurring children's growth of all time.

In fact a simple google search yields nearly endless comparisons denouncing both their greatness and shortcomings.

Shit, there is even an Epic Rap Battle between them!

(you got served dawg)

I award you no points Happy, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Looking at it that way, playing any game is a waste of time and is only done because we're all addicted by habit. If I'm online in WoW I'm actively doing something. Sometimes that might be flying in circles for an hour while bullshitting in ventrilo or guild chat, but it's no different than an hour spent playing any game.

Difference being, I'm not trying to validate my time spent playing other games, unlike people who play too much wow.

Difference being, I'm not trying to validate my time spent playing other games, unlike people who play too much wow.

How DO you validate your time spent playing other games over playing WoW? Better hand-eye coordination? That's pretty much it sans the small but growing number of "training" games like Brain Age and the like but even then it isn't as fun as a normal game.

literally the worst analogy ever

I mean the one guy isn't even reading he is just looking at pictures, the other guy is reading shakespeare which I guess is trying to illustrate that he is getting more out of his reading time? But really artistically Dr Seuss is both a world-renown author (his birthday is March 2nd which is "National Reading Day" ), poet and artist with a series of lifetime achievement awards, a massive empire spanning several movies, a theme park and of course many many reprints of classic books, a vast set of interesting and timely underlying meanings and symbolic references in his literature and he's been sighted as one of the single greatest authors for spurring children's growth of all time.

In fact a simple google search yields nearly endless comparisons denouncing both their greatness and shortcomings.

Shit, there is even an Epic Rap Battle between them!

(you got served dawg)

I award you no points Happy, and may god have mercy on your soul.

thats why i said just the pictures...

- flying in circles in wow vs competing in an esport (both just playing video games!)

is essentially the same analogy as the following :

- poker vs 52 card pickup (both just card games!)
- hockey vs table hockey (both just hockey lolol!)
- girl vs fleshlight (both have vaginas!)

keep that in mind while you nerds circle jerk in 3d facebook land and say its the same as playing any other video game. whats even more hilarious is this logic that you MUST play wow because theres no other good mmos :rofl:... ever considering NOT playing any mmo at all?

hell at least try playing a puzzle game instead or something, it may put ceasefire on that braincell genocide youre committing.

Last edited:
HaPpY I believe you're a fairly avid LoL'er, you can't tell me both that and WoW are not equivalent on the waste of time o'meter.

Who's trying to validate their time spent gaming? I know it's a waste of time, it's just how I choose to use my free time. I look back on my time spent playing T1 and T2 and laugh because outside some of the people I've met online and in person it was just a way to pass time. Eventually WoW will be gone and I'll have another way to wind down after a day of work and parenting. Tweaks their own, I guess.

Back