Google just bought Motorola

"Big question now is: how will HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Acer, Huawei, Lenovo and all other Android device makers respond to this news?"

I can't imagine these guys are happy about this. Google now has their own in house hardware company for android.

I could also see this being a real clusterfuck for google. It's a lot different running a company with manufacturing and distribution logistics all over the world as opposed to a net based one.

They bought Motorola Mobility (aka the mobile division that was recently spun off)...company is way bigger than just the mobile division. Neg rep for misleading title and making me think I might be laid off.

So it seems Google is letting Motorola still be Motorola, but they bought it so they would squelch the constant lawsuits from Apple and Microsoft.

I can't imagine these guys are happy about this. Google now has their own in house hardware company for android.
Considering Apple and Microsoft were trying to get royalties off anyone that made an Andriod device, I'd expect them to be pretty happy about it.

These guys want to sell devices and Android gives them a viable OS to do so. They can slap their own interface on, tweak things here and there and focus entirely on the hardware. And that's really what sells an Android device... if you know all Android phones have the same OS, the hardware is the deciding factor.

Considering Apple and Microsoft were trying to get royalties off anyone that made an Andriod device, I'd expect them to be pretty happy about it.

These guys want to sell devices and Android gives them a viable OS to do so. They can slap their own interface on, tweak things here and there and focus entirely on the hardware. And that's really what sells an Android device... if you know all Android phones have the same OS, the hardware is the deciding factor.

Yeah, people just love navigating a crazy matrix of phone specs and os versions they don't understand

you say that as if android isn't seeing consistent growth...

some people care, some don't.

we already do it with pc's...

Android grows for many reasons, and it's popular among the nerdy crowd, but that's obviously not fueling growth, or we'd all be using linux OSs at home and office.

It's impossible to know and i'm not trying to be definitive, but it seems to me that the growth would likely be fueled by people walking into an ATT or Verizon store and being sold on one of the many makes and models available that fit their price point/contract/etc. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but i'm not sure i'd say that i expect that these people LIKE choosing between all that garbage, it's just something they're used to, really.

"Big question now is: how will HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Acer, Huawei, Lenovo and all other Android device makers respond to this news?"

I could also see this being a real clusterfuck for google. It's a lot different running a company with manufacturing and distribution logistics all over the world as opposed to a net based one.

I suspect they'll have made assurances that the the mobility division will be kept walled from the android division so that there is no advantage.

With that assurance, I'm sure that the manufacturers will be happy knowing that google finally did something to protect android and all the device manufacturers

The phone i have is not a "Google Experience Phone". If they unlocked the bootloader i could flash the rom back to base.

Back