Recommend some steak marinades for tacos

i dont have a pre-written recipe but i have some basic ideas on marinades that might help

- acids help the flavor penetrate the meat. along those lines, yogurt is one of the best marinade ingredients for almost any meat.

- oil is also good, but instead of just adding herbs/spices to a bag along with oil, i like to put the amount of oil i'm going to use in a small saucepan along with the aromatics/herbs/spices and simmer it for a few minutes, then add it all to the marinade.

so for something like tacos, i'd simmer chopped fresh garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, thyme with some oil in a saucepan, mix that with some yogurt, salt, a dash of sugar, and the juice from a lemon. pour in a bag with the meat and refrigerate for at least an hour or two, if not longer.

gigafool

suggesting yogurt in Mexican cooking as a marinade

are you fucking serious.

I thought KFC taught you line cooks better than that.....

Edited to offer something useful:

Gigafool, though valiant in his attempt and on the right path, fell slightly short.

Remove the yogurt and lemon juice and substitute orange juice

I would also suggest (if possible) to get some dried chillies (Chili De Arbo (sp?) and Ancho Chili's) toast them in a pan, add water to rehydrate, and blend with mexican oregano, coriander seeds crushed, a bit of cumin, garlic, S&P.

Last edited:
the nice thing about cooking is that you have to do things exactly the way mexicans do them

otherwise your food won't taste good according to MSG-face

So why not just invent your own blend of ingredients, call it something new, and be done with it.

But then again, I think the guy wanted MEXICAN food.

Also, Chili powder? really? and you call yourself a cook......!

i call myself someone recommending a quick recipe idea using common household ingredients to a fellow internet forum poster

what do you call yourself

(besides a huge douchebag)

For Carne Asada I'd go for:
lime or lemon juice
salt
pepper
chipotle powder
garlic
onion
coriander
oregano
red pepper flakes
Mix it together and let in marinate in a bag overnight. Cook it on a very hot pan or grill it.

Accompany this with sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, green onion and some corn tortillas.

So why not just invent your own blend of ingredients, call it something new, and be done with it.

But then again, I think the guy wanted MEXICAN food.

Also, Chili powder? really? and you call yourself a cook......!

this is tribalwar, not le cordon bleu

in the real world, people don't freak out when you use chili powder

not shitting on your posts as they contribute to the discussion most of the time, but they could easily be done without the giant d-bag attitude

Get yourself a little can of chipotles in adobo. Dice up 2 per steak, add to bag. Throw in mexi spices, juice of one lime and diced onion.

Stolen from Tyler Florence

this is tribalwar, not le cordon bleu

in the real world, people don't freak out when you use chili powder

not shitting on your posts as they contribute to the discussion most of the time, but they could easily be done without the giant d-bag attitude

You fail to realize that my 'attitude' is only directed at giga, as it is fun to push his (easily riled) buttons.

You must also understand that I am by no means 'freaking out', however; you will not attain true mexican flavours from chili powder, hence my suggestion.

Lastly, there are clearly different level of cooks on TW, that is typically the norm in most situations as it pertains to home cooks. I am simply offering a different approach, (albeit a more involved one) for him to potentially utilize.
Giga on the other hand offers the fast and easy line cook approach which he has honed his skills on after years at the KFC.

Soy Sauce is a Mexican secret for steak. Also Coffee is a fantastic meat tenderizer that doesn't really transfer much flavor.

And dried chilis ftw.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, a little lemond juice, and one can of pabst blue ribbon beer (any skanky beer will do; for that matter almost any alcohol product). Place into ziploc, and put ziploc into frig for 12 to 24 hours.

Last edited:
Back