[Photography] Show and Tell Spring 2011 Edition by CosmicBlend - Page 7 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Photography] Show and Tell Spring 2011 Edition
Page 7 of 22
SpicyMcHaggis
VeteranX
Old
121 - 03-29-2011, 01:02
nice to see you went to the unrestored (potentially deathly dangerous) parts of the wall. i was there the new years before last and we hiked like 10mi. i was expecting it to be pretty lame, but i was absolutely awestruck by the sheer magnitude of it and the mountains around... pretty ridiculous place.

edit: just finishing up some pictures from my trip to japan and then from seoul that i took screwing around last week while skipping class, lol. should be up sometime in the next couple days.

Sponsored Links
GreyGhost
VeteranXX
Old
122 - 03-29-2011, 01:04
Did you run into Karl Pilkington on the wall?

Elvis Hitler
VeteranXX
Old
123 - 03-29-2011, 01:06
My fingers taste like darkroom chemicals. It's not so delicious.

I wonder how toxic selenium toner is?

Skeletor666
Merried Man4
Old
124 - 03-29-2011, 01:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Demon View Post
So I was out drinking and I keep my slim Sony Cybershot on me when I do. Drank a lot of beer and went to Waffle House:

I asked for Double Bacon Serving, because the haters were hatin'.
I raise you

TruSoulja
VeteranX
Old
125 - 03-29-2011, 01:19
Just got back from Oregon. Here's my favorite so far even though it's a way over photographed waterfall.

Didn't have great weather but will post more soon.

Elvis Hitler
VeteranXX
Old
126 - 03-29-2011, 01:22
I like it, Tru. Well done.

TimTheEnchanter
VeteranX
Old
127 - 03-29-2011, 01:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
nice to see you went to the unrestored (potentially deathly dangerous) parts of the wall. i was there the new years before last and we hiked like 10mi. i was expecting it to be pretty lame, but i was absolutely awestruck by the sheer magnitude of it and the mountains around... pretty ridiculous place.

edit: just finishing up some pictures from my trip to japan and then from seoul that i took screwing around last week while skipping class, lol. should be up sometime in the next couple days.
Yea, it's unbelievably nicer there. On the better camera I've got some pictures of our campsite inside one of the guard towers and our fire in a sort of fireplace in there. Man, it was cold as ****.

What section did you go to? (Your choices from west to east are Simatai, Jinshanling, and Gubeikou). I'm gonna guess you went to Simatai because that's got the most impressive, not dangerous climbs, and the popular day-walk used to be Jinshanling-Simatai. It's those highest peaks in the distance in the last picture.

I ask because you might be disgusted to know you can't hike Simatai anymore. We walked almost up that far on the first day before doubling back to Gubeikou in the far east.

The reason is... in typical Chinese fashion... the local government has entered into a contract with a big Chinese tourism company to over-restore the wall at Simatai, build a golf course, spa, and 5-star high-rise hotel there. In the course of doing so they've basically forced the local peasants to move out of their homes with a pittance for compensation, taking away what little livelihood they had. Of course, the ride out to Simatai is about 3 hours from the city, westerners obviously will not be interested in hiking the new Simatai or staying in the resort, and Chinese tourist culture favors the ease of access of the already plentiful over-restored sections that are only hour-long train/ bus rides from downtown Beijing. So in effect they're desecrating a world heritage site just for the hell of it.

Well, now I've gone and made myself angry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
Did you run into Karl Pilkington on the wall?
I think I did actually recognize the really rundown part where he's *****ing about how mediocre it is, though. In truth, they shot it at an angle that makes it look like there's nothing there, when really it's just a spot where the wall was built utilizing a cliff, wasn't high to begin with, and is overgrown.

Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; 03-29-2011 at 01:28..
Elvis Hitler
VeteranXX
Old
128 - 03-31-2011, 18:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Hitler View Post
Fuuuuuuuuu... So I walk into a photography store looking for some Oriental 11x17 Glossy fiber based b&w paper and what do I see in amongst their used stuff? An older model Pentax 67 medium format camera with 4 lenses all for $1000.

Shame I am dirt poor
[Soooo] I went to the local junior hockey game on Tuesday night and bought $5 worth of 50/50 tickets. I had the winner and I won $3147.50. The above mentioned medium format camera is sitting on my desk along with its 4 lenses.

I am a very happy Elvis Hitler.

Rurouni
VeteranXX
Old
129 - 03-31-2011, 18:25
Grats

its also through this pic that i realised my sensor was dirty camera's at Nikon now for cleaning as I don't have the balls to do it myself

edit: left the blemishes in there... top left corner and middle right side have splotches.

Kiint
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
130 - 03-31-2011, 19:23
Quote:
The above mentioned medium format camera is sitting on my desk along with its 4 lenses.
Thats pretty useless, I would have expected pictures by now.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
131 - 03-31-2011, 19:28
Quote:
[Soooo] I went to the local junior hockey game on Tuesday night and bought $5 worth of 50/50 tickets. I had the winner and I won $3147.50. The above mentioned medium format camera is sitting on my desk along with its 4 lenses.

I am a very happy Elvis Hitler.

Nice one you lucky duck

SpicyMcHaggis
VeteranX
Old
132 - 03-31-2011, 19:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Yea, it's unbelievably nicer there. On the better camera I've got some pictures of our campsite inside one of the guard towers and our fire in a sort of fireplace in there. Man, it was cold as ****.

What section did you go to? (Your choices from west to east are Simatai, Jinshanling, and Gubeikou). I'm gonna guess you went to Simatai because that's got the most impressive, not dangerous climbs, and the popular day-walk used to be Jinshanling-Simatai. It's those highest peaks in the distance in the last picture.

I ask because you might be disgusted to know you can't hike Simatai anymore. We walked almost up that far on the first day before doubling back to Gubeikou in the far east.

The reason is... in typical Chinese fashion... the local government has entered into a contract with a big Chinese tourism company to over-restore the wall at Simatai, build a golf course, spa, and 5-star high-rise hotel there. In the course of doing so they've basically forced the local peasants to move out of their homes with a pittance for compensation, taking away what little livelihood they had. Of course, the ride out to Simatai is about 3 hours from the city, westerners obviously will not be interested in hiking the new Simatai or staying in the resort, and Chinese tourist culture favors the ease of access of the already plentiful over-restored sections that are only hour-long train/ bus rides from downtown Beijing. So in effect they're desecrating a world heritage site just for the hell of it.

Well, now I've gone and made myself angry...

I think I did actually recognize the really rundown part where he's *****ing about how mediocre it is, though. In truth, they shot it at an angle that makes it look like there's nothing there, when really it's just a spot where the wall was built utilizing a cliff, wasn't high to begin with, and is overgrown.

just went and checked my pictures cuz i took one of the guide map -- jinshianling.

CosmicBlend
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
133 - 03-31-2011, 20:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm! View Post
P.S. CosmicBlend there's something alive and beautiful about your photography that I really aspire towards. The colours are processed extremely well and I like the new website. Nicely done.

Are you using single-image HDR for a lot of them? or is it mostly lighting setups with LightRoom colour presets?
Thanks I really appreciate the comments!

Some of my stuff is HDR though not much of it. I have spent a lot of time working on my color processing and knowing where I want to go with a photo. I used to use quite a bit of Lightroom Presets, but really anymore I don't use them hardly at all. Most of my stuff now is a mix of Photoshop Curves/Levels and Lightroom + Nik Plugins..

ICMeltdown
VeteranX
Old
134 - 03-31-2011, 20:52
Some really nice shots here.

I like the 2 pic of the wharf even if the birds aren't around.

I like the shot of the glass on the bar.

I really liked the shot of the beer stein w/ the light doing it's thing to the shadow.

Elvis you lucky ****.

I love me some bacon but bacon vodka...I grimace thinking about it...

Water Demon
Veteran4
Old
135 - 03-31-2011, 21:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor666 View Post
I raise you
I see your raise, and raise you a whole meal, plus "Triple Bacon", plus food coma.

:]

Kiint
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
136 - 04-01-2011, 00:40
Well our work "pet croc" mascot is back.

The view from our car park.

Thats one of our office buildings over the other side.

The view from directly above him.

My video of the croc being darted to make it easy to catch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSsJSNEm9uY

Local News usage of my video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Cun7yqF4Q

Last edited by Kiint; 04-01-2011 at 05:52..
Elvis Hitler
VeteranXX
Old
137 - 04-03-2011, 23:51
I took some digital pics this weekend while using my DSLR as a light meter for my new medium format film camera.

Tools of the Trade
by elvis_hitler2000, on Flickr

Untitled
by elvis_hitler2000, on Flickr

CosmicBlend
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
138 - 04-04-2011, 19:17

Urban Dwellers by corey.wagehoft, on Flickr

bane
VeteranXX
Old
139 - 04-05-2011, 00:33
Color or black and white?

Kiint
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
140 - 04-05-2011, 00:34
Colour

Page 7 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Photography] Show and Tell Spring 2011 Edition

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
1118 , bokeh , needs moar , odio is a fucking retard , odio is fucking a retard , photography