Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Oh well as long as you have tried a real one. I do agree they lack the same curl up on the couch 'niceness' of a real book but for travel, doctors wating rooms or reading at work they are the best.

books like these dont really n eed to be read. ...This shit is tv on tape.

I agree it is shit. Listening to audiobooks is not reading.

Actually reading the books (that you consider pulp) is the key to it.

Decided to read Xenocide after seeing the Ender's Game movie, book was decent enough. Is it worth reading Children of the Mind, does Card ever decide to actually conclude Ender's story or does he just keep teasing it out? Not terribly invested in the series just don't want to feel like I wasted time by continuing if it isn't worth it.

Speaker was def the best of the series, then Xeno, then Children. Everything gets resolved, etc... but goddamn, card goes off on some fucking tangents in that series. If you read the first two then you might as well read the third, but its decent as best.

I agree it is shit. Listening to audiobooks is not reading.

Which is why I'd never read to my kids. It's impossible to appreciate literature unless you are actually thumbing the physical pages themselves. Therefore, I'd rather they abstain from any alternate methods of story telling until they can scan the text with their own eyes.

:rolleyes:

w/that said. everyone bitches about red seas under red skies, so i didnt get it for audiobook, even though i liked lies of locke lamorra. u rec?

I thought red seas was a worthwhile read, but it didn't live up to its predecessor. If it were stand-alone I doubt I would go out of my way to recommend it.

Anyone read Republic of Thieves yet? It came out recently in October. I enjoyed both Lies and Red Seas Under Red Skies. I finally caved in and started WoT. On book 6 so far. Republic of Thieves will be next after I finish WoT.

I finally caved in and started WoT. On book 6 so far. Republic of Thieves will be next after I finish WoT.

Beware. Shits gets really boring during some of the later books, but it gets better eventually - After Sanderson takes over. The books he wrote have their own little issues, at least they aren't boring.

Which is why I'd never read to my kids. It's impossible to appreciate literature unless you are actually thumbing the physical pages themselves. Therefore, I'd rather they abstain from any alternate methods of story telling until they can scan the text with their own eyes.

:rolleyes:

c'mon my good fellow that's a pretty silly comparison. Kids can't read so they need to be read to to learn the rythms of speech and the pleasure of sitting quietly (relatively) and using imagination. Adults can read (mostly) and substituting audiobooks is not the same.

I'm not against them per se but when people say xxx book is crap when they have only listened to the audio version then I want to start peeling their face off and pissing on the raw flesh.

Now that would certainly make your eyes roll :bigthumb: :si library:

I can't (safely) read while driving. For me, that's 10 hours a week that would effectively be wasted time, but audiobooks make it enjoyable. Reading & listening to stories may be different experiences, but I wouldn't so readily discard either one.

While I feel that a bad book is bad whether in text or audio format, a bad reading can really hurt a book. Take the Kingkiller Chronicles for instance, there are two different versions out there (US & Euro markets? idk) and one is horrendous despite pretty much the entire thread agreeing that it's an excellent book. Most of us are able to tell the difference between a bad reading and a bad story.

holy shit, i just thought of a billion dollar industry...

you ready for this?

old book smell spray. you can buy it at your local bookstore. just spray it on your e-readers, tablets, and phones, and when you read from them it will be just like reading from your favorite old book.

what do you guys think?

guys?

Claude

Back