Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 3 of 96
Window
VeteranX
Old
41 - 01-19-2011, 00:22
Awesome thanks guys, should have plenty for the next few months

Sponsored Links
Darksidesmoker
Veteran++
Old
42 - 01-19-2011, 00:23
Not a series but if you haven't read any of Philip K Dick's sci-fi you should.

Rosencrantz
VeteranX
Old
43 - 01-19-2011, 00:37
Since the major guys (GRRM, Lynch, Rothfuss, Abercrombie, Weeks, Sanderson, Brett, Cook etc.) are already listed, here are some lesser known authors I've found enjoyable:

Michael Sullivan: The Riyria Revelations
Daniel Abraham: The Long Price Quartet
N.K. Jemisin: The Inheritance Trilogy
Glenda Larke: The Watergiver/Stormlord Trilogy
Trudi Canavan: The Black Magician Trilogy, Traitor Spy Trilogy
Garth Nix: Abhorsen/The Old Kingdom

Older stuff by well known authors that are worth reading by if you have not gotten around to them yet:
Tad Williams: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (GRRM's inspiration to write aSoIaF)
George RR Martin's Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas (same universe as aSoIaF)
Robin Hobb: Farseer Trilogy, Tawny Man Trilogy
Neil Gaiman: Neverwhere, Stardust, Good Omens, The Graveyard Book, American Gods (these are not series, but they are definitely on my must reads list)
Terry Pratchett: Discworld Series(newer stuff are much better imo), Nation
Raymond E. Feist: Riftwar series

Shiloh
Veteran++
Old
44 - 01-19-2011, 01:02
Riftwar sucks. It is about as bland and generic as fantasy books get. Name a genre cliche and its probably in there.

Rosencrantz
VeteranX
Old
45 - 01-19-2011, 01:15
That might be true, my memories are probably tainted by the fact I read them while I was in middle school. I used to think Eddings was cool back then too, can't stand his crap now.

Window
VeteranX
Old
46 - 01-19-2011, 01:21
I like the coming of age type stories like name of the wind... i read the first book of the riftwars series (magician: apprentice), it started really well then all of a sudden had way too much going on with too many characters... would have been better if it had just followed the main char

Madend
VeteranXV
Old
47 - 01-19-2011, 01:27
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
it's good

Whistler
VeteranX
Old
48 - 01-19-2011, 01:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
That might be true, my memories are probably tainted by the fact I read them while I was in middle school. I used to think Eddings was cool back then too, can't stand his crap now.
yeah..for a little i wanted to try re reading that ****--i'm sure it would seem stupid now, esp the forgotten realms stuff

retribution
VeteranX
Old
49 - 01-19-2011, 01:40
what does everyone see in the SoiF books? I've read the first four (not sure if there are newer ones yet) and I didn't think they were very good.

Rosencrantz
VeteranX
Old
50 - 01-19-2011, 01:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window View Post
I like the coming of age type stories like name of the wind... i read the first book of the riftwars series (magician: apprentice), it started really well then all of a sudden had way too much going on with too many characters... would have been better if it had just followed the main char
Heh, well most of the books I listed fall into that genre, except for Sullivan, Pratchett's main Discworld sequence and some of the Gaiman books. Pratchett's Nation and his YA stuff (The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, Tiffany Aching series) are in the coming of age genre. Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is probably the closest to what you're looking for though.

You might also like Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Triad, which is mostly generic coming of age fantasy with a few ****ed up twists. Tamora Pierce's stuff are all coming of age fantasy...sorta a YA fantasy version of Ender's Game with female characters (but not as good and gets kinda repetitive)

Whistler
VeteranX
Old
51 - 01-19-2011, 01:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by retribution View Post
what does everyone see in the SoiF books? I've read the first four (not sure if there are newer ones yet) and I didn't think they were very good.
its not the stereotypical "good vs evil", everyone is flawed in some way or another--its a degree of character depth that most fantasy books can't really get at

it's also incredible detailed, which is part of the reason why it takes so damn long to crank the books out, the other part being that the guy probably came down with writers block and/or just stopped caring

MADness
VeteranX
Old
52 - 01-19-2011, 01:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bane View Post
You said Sci/Fi so I'll put one up for John Scalzi Books by John Scalzi « Whatever

His books are almost an homage to Robert A. Heinlein, but I like them because of the sometimes serious, often hilarious, always ridiculous **** that he thinks up. His characters have the feel of real people. Good stuff.
Agreed.

Really funny dialogue and characters (not silly funny but just funny smart-ass characters).

Interesting technological/sociological set-up as well.

MADness
VeteranX
Old
53 - 01-19-2011, 01:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by retribution View Post
if you havn't read any gene wolfe, I would start with the book of the new sun - that's four very dense novels that will keep you busy for a while. They're extremely well written. They may not be exactly what you're looking for if you want a more traditional sword and sorcery book but I would keep them on the list.

for something more traditional, the raymond e feist 'riftwar' series is a classic, and if you like them he's written a few more.
While book of the new sun series is technically well written it is one of the few novels that I have ever had trouble getting through due to both the pacing and the sheer density of the writing.

When I eventually read Free Live Free I became really pissed off because it is fast, easy and fun to read. I had just assumed that Wolfe couldn't really help himself in terms of the writing style but it turns out that he intentionally made the New Sun series that freaking dense which sort of makes him an ******* in my book.

retribution
VeteranX
Old
54 - 01-19-2011, 02:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADness View Post
While book of the new sun series is technically well written it is one of the few novels that I have ever had trouble getting through due to both the pacing and the sheer density of the writing.

When I eventually read Free Live Free I became really pissed off because it is fast, easy and fun to read. I had just assumed that Wolfe couldn't really help himself in terms of the writing style but it turns out that he intentionally made the New Sun series that freaking dense which sort of makes him an ******* in my book.

I enjoyed the slow pacing and the academic sort of writing through most of the series. It did sap the drama and suspense from the action sequences but I liked it overall. The first person narrative got too spotty though - sometimes it was fun to guess at what had been left out, but there were sections where I felt like I didn't have enough information to piece together what had happened.

He also wrote a sword & sorcery story in two books, the wizard and the knight, but I'm hesitant to recommend it - I don't think its as good as his other work, but if you like gene wolfe you'll enjoy it.

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
55 - 01-19-2011, 02:44
Someone has already mentioned the Takeshi Kovacs series by Morgan, don't let them slip you by.

My recommendations would be Iain M. Banks, Cormac series by Asher, Commonwealth saga by Hamilton.

SecretSquirrel
VeteranXV
Old
56 - 01-19-2011, 02:53
Gygax's Gord the Rogue books, though simple and geared toward teenagers are pretty decent. It was his take on DandD, while others with the intellectual rights made the Dragonlance series.

Leiber Fafard and the Gray Mouser stories, each very creative. A lot of Lovecraft themes and things are spun out differently.

Princes of Amber books by Roger Zelanzy.

Stormlord and Birthgrave series by Tanith Lee.

Don't really care for the rest of his writing that much, but the two Mordant's Needs books by Stephen R. Donaldson are very good. I would consider them now to be kind of proto-gothic urban horror. They bridge the gap between Tolkien and Tanith Lee in a way that has been emulated by Martin and some others, and which the Wheel of Time series may have failed at.

The Black Company books must be good. I read The Silver Spike and really liked it, and then later realized it was one of Glenn Cook's series.

There are books I like that people would find strange, and other books that people like that I may see as flawed or uninteresting. It's hard to get a good handle on what other people enjoy about fantasy.

Wheel of Stars by Andre Norton- A comprehensive, 300 page fantasy novel that explains the Wheel of Time series.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 01-19-2011 at 02:56..
Tessien
VeteranX
Old
57 - 01-19-2011, 03:02
The Black Company by Glen Cook, and the Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
58 - 01-19-2011, 04:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Richard K Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series

Takeshi Kovacs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
aye this is good stuff

Name of the Wind is a good fantasy book

also Painted Man and Desert Spear by Peter Brett

CelticMojo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
59 - 01-19-2011, 05:25
ALAN DEAN FOSTER

Tekra
VeteranXV
Old
60 - 01-19-2011, 11:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
Also Hyperion is amazing. Read the books a long time ago and now I'm listening to the Audio books. Great production value with 3 different narrators.

I just read Hyperion/Endymion last year, fantastic novels.

Look into Jack L. Chalker if you can find his books printed anywhere.

The Changewinds Series:
* When the Changewinds Blow
* Riders of the Winds
* War of the Maelstrom

The Soul Rider Series
* Spirits of Flux and Anchor
* Empires of Flux and Anchor
* Masters of Flux and Anchor
* The Birth of Flux and Anchor
* Children of Flux and Anchor

I also really enjoyed The Saga of the Well World (7 books)

Page 3 of 96

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert