[the] CYCLING discussion (thread) by FOURSTAR - Page 7 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)
Page 7 of 80
TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
121 - 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
i might be able to get a 2004 Cervelo Dual with about 1k miles on it for $350 (asking)

worth it?
this is for a beginner...

Sponsored Links
Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
122 - 01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post
i might be able to get a 2004 Cervelo Dual with about 1k miles on it for $350 (asking)

worth it?
this is for a beginner...
From a price standpoint absolutely. If it isn't your size then it doesn't matter at any price.

It was top of the line in it's day especially at it's original price point. Full ultegra/dura carbon fork etc.

Great training or starter bike.

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
123 - 01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
lol... it sold too quickly. I was researching it and someone grabbed it.

Jg
VeteranXV
Old
124 - 01-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Question for you guys:

I'm very new to cycling and got into it because I really enjoyed my first summer of doing triathlons. Are hill repeats the best way to increase my speed and endurance on the bike?

The past few days I have tried to tackle some hills and it does a number on my legs, so I figure that has got to be good. Whenever I ride on a flat course I can never seem to get my HR up and my legs don't necessarily have the same pain that I get with the hills.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, or some reading about the subject.

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
125 - 01-09-2011, 10:08 PM
being sorta new, as long as you're having fun and you're getting a workout, you're getting better... hills generally force you to push yourself much harder psychologically and have a higher HR, but you can get your HR up on the flats too. try increasing your cadence

to biggest predictor of cycling performance is lactate threshold (LT), or the amount of output you can sustain for ~30minutes. increasing this number helps every aspect of cycling, but you don't necessarily need to focus on LT workouts if you don't have a lot of miles on the bike in (<500-1000 the last year) to see big gains.

maybe 2x a week try to remain seated on hill that takes 5-10 mins to get up and spin around 85rpms going up the hill. do repeats of that in a gear you can maintain to the top with a good 5-10mins EASY rest as many times as you can until you're barely moving in the granny gears and you'll see a big increase in your cycling specific muscles (since you already have a great aerobic base from your other posts, your biggest limiter right now is probably cycling specific muscles and a lack of pedaling efficiency)

note that all my advice is for purely cycling and assumes thats all you're going to do that day (ie: i dont account for having swum in the morning in my workouts).

don't get so caught up in the numbers or performance that you stop enjoying the bike, though, and whenever possible you'll find that riding with faster people is the best motivator to push yourself farther than you thought you could and improve, so look for a local club/team and hop in a ride. The best workout i can plan and crunch numbers and push myself to the limit towards being perfect at while alone is never as good as a race-environment group ride where you're with other people and your juices are flowing.

Jg
VeteranXV
Old
126 - 01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice Soup, I appreciate it.

I have read quite a bit about LT threshold and how to obtain it, along with the FTP information. Currently, I'm doing a Half IM training program for another 15 weeks. When I finish that I'll do the tests so I can gauge my progress.

What you said makes sense, I'll make sure that on my biking days I do some hill repeats like you mentioned. And when I am on the flats, I'll try to keep my cadence up. I just installed a cadence sensor today.

Another limiting factor for me is my weight. As the training goes on, I'll probably see improvements because of the loss of weight as well. Which will be great. Going up hills is a ***** with these extra pounds. But going down is nice

I rode with a guy on Friday, it was my first time riding with anyone, and you are completely right. You push yourself a lot more to try and keep up with the people in your party than if you go solo. I'll try to get more group rides in.

Thanks again for the help, I'll keep trucking along and do more repeats or keep a controlled high cadence on my rides.

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
127 - 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
alright... found another used bike.
2005 Felt S25. Guy is asking $650 (will also have to be shipped)

he says this:
pretty good shape - crashed once but only has scratches

had cassette, cog and chain replaced two years ago

here are picture and specs but I'll post my own pictures shortly

BikePedia - 2005 Felt S25 Complete Bicycle

I dont know anything about the used bike market so any help would be appreciated
I am trying to avoid buying a new bike this year since I have to get a wetsuit also

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
128 - 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
i crashed my bike and it had only scratches for 4k miles and then the frame cracked clean through out of nowhere by the rear derailleur. you cant warranty that bike because you aren't the original owner. ask about the crash but be wary

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
129 - 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Would not buy that. Plenty of perfect condition used bikes that have barely been ridden let alone crashed for around that price.

Go to gearscan.com or bonktown.com and keep an eye out. Snagged a $500 2XU wetsuit for $150 last week.

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
130 - 01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
OK, lets talk new bikes then.
2011 Felt B16
vs
2010 Jamis Xenith T

i can put whatever components on the Jamis. Shop would do Ultegra or Force for basicallly the same price as the Felt.
I got my fitting today... Im a 56 for Jamis, Felt, and Cervelo. Cant ride Orbea the geometry isnt good for me. Not interested in a P2 either since the aerobars are ass and not adjustable (instant extra cost)

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
131 - 01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Felt. Fantastic all around and body geometry is based off of their high, high end TT/Tri bikes.

Only reason I didn't grab the felt was the fact I could customize exactly what I wanted on the Kestrel for less than I could buy the Felt for. Albeit with a bit more work and effort to do so ;]

For the lazy man's new bike purchase Felt for sure. Plus that color scheme is way more sexy. I'd probably swap to green or black hoods though.

I can still get you hooked up with one of the Kestrels I bought as well for $1300 =]

Or now that you know your size and you know what you fit upon you can start digging up "new" last year model blow outs that'll save some cash and just have your bike shop do the build or whatever.

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
132 - 01-11-2011, 10:02 PM
where are good spots to shop?

also, the Jamis has just about the same geometry with a little bigger head tube (which would be better for me... no need to add risers or whatever). I also read that it is one of the most aero frames on the market. Have you heard bad things about them?

Last edited by TF_Grungir; 01-11-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
133 - 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
No my normal LBS carries Jamis and I think they are pretty solid bikes.

Just fell in love with the Felt when I road it verse riding the Jamis ;P

Plus the Jamis was originally $2400 vs $2k for the Felt.

If they are offering to spec it similar and offer it for the same price and you feel more comfortable on the Jamis go for it.

Just remember to buy what you like since you're going to be stuck on it for a long time.

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
134 - 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
tour down under starts this weekend :yay:

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
135 - 01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
i'm excited to see cavendish whoop greipel

and hopefully mcewen will crash out...

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
136 - 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM
its a sprinter extravaganza out there

will cav be in form for it? seems like this is greipel's race, but now that they are on different teams who knows how his schedule is this year. i'd still take cav out of form over him though. htc wants goss to be their gc though, seems strange.

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
137 - 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
yes because sprinter "form" isn't quite the magical state of perfect "peak" that a GC rider's form is, they can be in better form all year round and they don't blood dope as much so it's not an issue of "he'd be better right now if he wasn't saving his blood for july" like lance always was

also most everyone in the TDU isn't at "race weight" quite yet but it doesn't hurt them here and it's the beginning of the season.... but the heavier sprinters are all in relatively good form in the early season because they aren't juggling a weightloss goal of looking like a vampire by july, either. 6-7 hours a day on a bike is a lot easier to recover from with extra carbs. i still expect cav takes 2 stages because he can hold his sprint a lot longer than greipel... which he'll need to because greipel makes the last 100m look like he's bending his bike frame with his gorilla legs

i'm hoping that the TDU uci officials are super lax with lance because his star power made it such a big event this year (and they are already paying him millions just to show up) and he shows up jacked to 60% hct and fully trained to take a stage like he tried to last year. floyd has described how the officials will turn away for lance... i believe it, since it's a sport run by sponsors who want to sell more bikes and lance magically creates new cyclists all around the U.S every time he rides a bike. lance is bigger in cycling than mj was in the nba

Last edited by Soup; 01-13-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
138 - 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
139 - 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
140 - 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
holy christ was he engineered in a lab? makes sense about sprinters form though.

are these crazy floods going to do anything to the course?

Page 7 of 80

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)

Social Website Bullshit