[the] CYCLING discussion (thread) by FOURSTAR - Page 4 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)
Page 4 of 80
Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
61 - 12-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I've heard a lot of people say Kestrel is the best deal there is components for the price. i'm jealous, i want a TT bike

Sponsored Links
Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
62 - 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I *really* wanted that Felt (aesthetically more pleasing to me and bit better group keke) but $850 price difference and I'd still have swapped wheels and tires on it and probably go back to FSA carbon crank at some point.

Now to camp for a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL or SSCSL's to replace the stocks which I'm not looking forward too. If I didn't have to check ebay so religiously while unloading my cache of Lionel trains I'd feel like an addict with how many times I was checking bikes a day lol.

I have 2 pairs of new Hutchinson Atom Comp Red/Black clinchers already so they will rock with it and cost me nothing extra out of pocket.

The guy offered to do a an RT-800 SL at a very reasonable price too and that is a great looking road bike I almost bit on that instead but realistically I should stick with a Tri/TT bike so that's what I did ;[

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
63 - 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM
I am also starting the research on a TT/tri bike...
I signed up for Steelhead 70.3 and rocking my Gary Fisher Utopia isnt going to cut it for 56 miles.

Ive been doing sprints with it but anything over 20 miles gets tough with that riding position.
So far I really like what I have read about the Felt B16 (2011). It retails for 1999.00

Is an all carbon bike really that important? Worth the extra $$ to upgrade from the Felt S22 (aluminum)?
How much wiggle room do yo uthink the LBS would have on the price of that B16? $2k is the max i would want to spend so if i got the B16 it would have to be ridden as is.

edit:
I dont know **** about bikes

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
64 - 12-14-2010, 09:34 PM
^

That is the Felt I wanted and realistically speaking if you bought that you would never have to upgrade anything for years. Carbon, full ultegra. It is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best bike build for the price point and arguably up to the $3k price point as an all around train and race bike.

But on the flip side you won't notice much difference in the aluminum or carbon especially if you haven't been riding a lot.

So basically it comes down to two things.

1) Cost 2) Cost

I plan on being competitive some years down the road and that's why I went full carbon even though I probably won't be able to actually take full advantage of it for a couple more hard years of training.

I also like shiny new things and I'm not poor but I'm smart enough to know that if I go rolling up in a $5k bike I better be able to use it and not look like a chump so I stick with something cheaper ;]

Your main thing is going to be knowing your fit and from there you can start shopping around. End of the year is big on bike blow outs. If you happen to know what size you need I can point you in the direction of several Tri/TT bikes in the $1k-3k price range.

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
65 - 12-14-2010, 09:53 PM
looks like i need to go get fitted.
The LBS that I go to carries Felt, Orbea, Jamis, and maybe Cervelo.
Do yo uhave to get fitted to a specific brand/bike or are they all close enough to know that you need a 56 or a 54 regardless of make/model?

Im probably not ever going to be competitive but I like to buy good quality stuff. For something like this, I only want to have to buy ONCE. Thats why i orogonally got the utopia (i waned a road bike and a mountain bike) Sounds like the B16 is the way to go... I dont want to have to upgrade in a couple of yearrs.

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
66 - 12-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post
looks like i need to go get fitted.
The LBS that I go to carries Felt, Orbea, Jamis, and maybe Cervelo.
Do yo uhave to get fitted to a specific brand/bike or are they all close enough to know that you need a 56 or a 54 regardless of make/model?

Im probably not ever going to be competitive but I like to buy good quality stuff. For something like this, I only want to have to buy ONCE. Thats why i orogonally got the utopia (i waned a road bike and a mountain bike) Sounds like the B16 is the way to go... I dont want to have to upgrade in a couple of yearrs.
Size will take you only so far as each bike is shaped differently so you're going to fit differently and possibly take preference to some.

I've been on Specialized, Jamis, Kestrel, Felt, Quintana Roo in my frame size but each felt a bit different.

The Kestrel for example has a long reach compared to the Felt for me. Of course almost all of that stuff can be adjusted.

Also remember you need clipless pedals, shoes, tri gear etc.

My orca tri top/bottom cost me 150 on sale from 2010 blow out, my sidi carbon shoes are 130, my shimano R086 were 90, helmet 50, pedals 130 etc etc

That **** adds up fast if you need to buy it fresh and can well send you over your budget. I was originally at $2k myself and I think after all my purchases and races entry fees for the next six months I'm up to something like $3500-$4k heh ;[

I basically am at the point where I have almost stopped counting cause it'll just give me a headache.

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
67 - 12-14-2010, 10:42 PM
lol.. i hear you.
I did my first sprint with just my running shoes and regular pedals without baskets.
the following monday i went out and started trying on bike shoes. I have the Bontrgager tri shoes and speedplay pedals... i also put road tires on my utopia.
I think the only shoes i didnt try on were sidi and lake (nobody had them) lol.. ive got big ass flat feet and finding shoes was a *****. Ive got a tri suit (2 piece). I think im ok for accesories, and holy **** i didnt realize how much that gear was going to cost. The only thing i need now is a wetsuit.. i rented one (Zoot) for my 2 tris last year. I need to find a place that has more brands... any that you recommend? I hear good things about blueseventy.

edit:
Thanks for the info by the way!

Last edited by TF_Grungir; 12-14-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Vanster
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
68 - 12-14-2010, 11:04 PM
That's a great buy, Dai. Congrats.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
69 - 12-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Seat tube looks a little shallow?

I'm holding out due to finances mostly, I'd love a sick tri bike but have a good roadie so slapped some aerobars on it. If I end up totally loving tri and wanting to be competetive I'll upgraydd.

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
70 - 12-15-2010, 08:12 AM
aluminum frame will be absolutely fine.

i'd buy an aero helmet before i'd buy a carbon framed tt bike over an aluminum frame

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
71 - 12-15-2010, 08:38 AM
i forget if it was in velo or bicycle but they were talking about TT bikes, aero vs weight. aero won out for most everything.

sweet purchase dai, now maybe it will get warm enough to ride outside heh.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
72 - 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I just remembered, I had a dream last night and I was talking to someone about the Jens Factor chart in it.

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
73 - 12-15-2010, 11:44 AM
i think im going to bite the bullet and get a trainer for indoors.

any suggestions? whats the one you are using with a power output soup?

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
74 - 12-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Kinetic Road Machine Fluid

i like the heavier flywheel option, and the power computer was another 50 bucks

Jg
VeteranXV
Old
75 - 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I just got the kurt kinetic road machine about a month ago. I love it. I did a lot of research about the different types too, kurt kinetic seems to win hands down and their warranty/customer service is amazing. If it ever leaks or breaks they will replace it for you free of charge.

If you search around you can find it for a good price, I paid $255 for mine.

I will also point out that for me being on a trainer is boring. Even with football or a movie on the tv, it is really boring. I heard rollers are a bit more attractive because you have to concentrate to stay on. But I also hear there have a steep learning curve at the start and most people fall off.

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
76 - 12-15-2010, 11:06 PM
So has anyone thought about or tried building a bike with the Chinese builders? I've been reading a ton about them and I'm contemplating ordering a frame and having it custom painted and made for my gf instead of just buying her a sub $1k generic road bike. You can basically get a full carbon frame set w/ paint for under $600 shipped and there are lots of people comparing some of the knock offs with their $3-5k bikes and saying the difference is almost non existent in quality and it's easy enough to find wheels and a 105 group that will keep you right around $1k for something unique.

As an example these are a few full builds that people have made out of them. I've seen some fantastic looking paint jobs done on incomplete bike frames though. The people painting their bikes and decals as counterfeits is kind of crappy though.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/7746/img0623o.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8288/img1033hv.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8018/mars1.jpg

Last edited by Dai Shinzo; 12-15-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
77 - 12-16-2010, 07:15 AM
I have a CycleOps Fluid2, because I got it for $146 off craigslist. If you want an inexpensive trainer-only power option, go with what Soup got.

I can't believe it's the second half of December now and I still haven't had any rides to work harsher than JF3.

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
78 - 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM
i know a guy who had a chinese carbon bike. frame cracked near the stem and it was filled with bunched up newspaper

as much as you want her to, she's probably not going to be so serious about cycling that she cares about having a carbon frame over an aluminum option. save your money for the new cycling outfit she needs or the more comfortable seat

something like a dolce for under a grand.

better yet, buy something used. you seem to have a lot of auction connections

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
79 - 12-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup View Post
Oh it's not a matter of carbon or whether or not she goes hardcore or just pedals now and again.

Of course I can snag her something used no problem but the sentiment of knowing whenever she's out and about or looks at it she knows it was "something made just for her" is brownie points and would go a lot further as a gift =]

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
80 - 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM
it might be worth it then... perhaps a used bike repainted in her color?

take her to a bike store and let he look around, then see if anything caught her eye and go from there?

Page 4 of 80

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)

Social Website Bullshit