[the] CYCLING discussion (thread) by FOURSTAR - Page 12 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)
Page 12 of 80
FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
221 - 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shinzo View Post
Finished commuter today. Had LBS true the front wheel though everything else was built by me.

ImageShack***174; - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Also my $11 a piece chinese carbon bottle cages finally came in after a god damn month so my bike is complete. Snagged a set of Conti Attack/Force tires for racing days when they were doing an $80 blow out on them so my main bike is totally finished as well.

nice i like the grip haha

Sponsored Links
Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
222 - 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM
It was some super cheap **** off of ebay. I am wondering if it will hold up to wet weather. It's kind of like foam. Very comfy since I double wrapped.

Might swap the saddle out for something else but otherwise it rides great and fits like a glove.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
223 - 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shinzo View Post
Finished commuter today. Had LBS true the front wheel though everything else was built by me.

Also my $11 a piece chinese carbon bottle cages finally came in after a god damn month so my bike is complete. Snagged a set of Conti Attack/Force tires for racing days when they were doing an $80 blow out on them so my main bike is totally finished as well.

Is that a single brake hooked up to the rear on your commuter?

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
224 - 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM
looks like it, but its prolly setup as a single speed anyways

change it to fixed and get rid of the brakes

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
225 - 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Indeed it is. I rode it around and didn't like the front brake so I just left the rear. Plenty of stopping power considering the bulk of my ride is going to be pretty slow going.

I don't want to mess around with fixed w/ all the traffic I'll have to cross through. If the trail didn't shoot off the exact opposite way I needed to go it might be different ;[

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
226 - 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM
If you're only going to have one brake - ESPECIALLY if you aren't running fixed - make it the front.

Jg
VeteranXV
Old
227 - 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Another question for you guys.

Do beginner bikers experience beginner gains the same way that a new person to weight lifting experiences?

I just recently installed a garmin cadence/speed sensor on my bike and since I did I can tell my workouts are getting much better. But my speed is also going up at an exponential rate. I started in the summer at around 14mph going about 15 miles. And now on the same trail (but going longer) I am going about 17mph over 30 miles.

I read up to make sure that when gps is enabled it takes the place over my speed sensor. So I am pretty certain the speed is as accurate as it was when I was going 14mph, but because of the quick increase in speed during training, I still question it. What do you guys think?

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
228 - 02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes you will make rapid improvements as you get in to the sport.

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
229 - 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
If you're only going to have one brake - ESPECIALLY if you aren't running fixed - make it the front.
I reiterate there is plenty of stopping power when I am putzin along doing 10 mph max without worry of fish tailing plus the route I'm forced to take is going to be pretty bumpy so rear brake is better.

If I was going to use the bike for anything else or try and be speed racer then I would simply have kept both on and if the need arises I will put it back on.

---

JG

I don't feel like that is the case and I took up cycling last summer as well.

My handicap was then and is now, my lactate threshold in my legs due to having an already established cardio base when I took up riding.

Is 17 mph hard to maintain for you? For me at this point 17 mph is pretty much a pleasure ride, not too easy but not really hard but it's been that way since I started. When I start getting into the 20-25 mph range is when I actually feel like I'm working and I can start to feel the acid build up.

I know when I started that if I would break 20 mph then I would tire out within a mile or two. Now I can hold it significantly longer to the tune of 10-15 miles. But that is with specific targeted training via Soups x@30's rides and to me I feel it's been slow going for those increases =P

Last edited by Dai Shinzo; 02-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
230 - 02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Why did you get a skinny-tired bike to go 10mph?

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
231 - 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Why did you get a skinny-tired bike to go 10mph?
Mainly money and convenience. Now that I am a 3 bike household from a 1 bike household in the course of one month keeping everything relatively interchangeable and not having to have different spare parts for everything is just easier for me to deal with.

Plus mounting a front brake takes all of 5 minutes if I get the urge to go fast ;P

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
232 - 02-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg View Post
Another question for you guys.

Do beginner bikers experience beginner gains the same way that a new person to weight lifting experiences?

I just recently installed a garmin cadence/speed sensor on my bike and since I did I can tell my workouts are getting much better. But my speed is also going up at an exponential rate. I started in the summer at around 14mph going about 15 miles. And now on the same trail (but going longer) I am going about 17mph over 30 miles.

I read up to make sure that when gps is enabled it takes the place over my speed sensor. So I am pretty certain the speed is as accurate as it was when I was going 14mph, but because of the quick increase in speed during training, I still question it. What do you guys think?
Air resistance increases by the square of speed, your gains are realistic but super encouraging, especially since you have a multi-sport background and endurance base.

At about 20mph the increase in wattage it takes to overcome drag starts to really spike. With starting, hills and stopping, a group ride that cooks along at 23mph on the flats (and FEELS like it "had" to be 22mph avg) will often barely break 20 miles in an hour.

20mph average is always the goal of the ride with the local bike club i sometimes ride with- they have a term for it but I forget it.

Riding on roads is definitely a lot easier than trails, too.

Last edited by Soup; 02-07-2011 at 10:11 PM.
FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
233 - 02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
i remember making huge gains in the first few months i got into cycling.

Spoiler

Vanster
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
234 - 02-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Quote:

Jg
VeteranXV
Old
235 - 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I guess as I get more fit I'll tend to see better gains. I definitely don't have an endurance base yet I just started running/biking/swimming this past summer.

Prior to that I was heavy into weights and did football/rugby growing up. So at least I wasn't a total slob.

I imagine as I shed more weight, my run/bike will get much faster. Currently my 10k pace is around 9:45/mile. I have a lot of room for improvement I'm still at 240lbs, hopefully if I can get down to the low 200s I'll see quite a lot of progress.

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
236 - 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
be careful to eat enough carbs to cover your high volume or you'll get overtrained/sick... i didn't realize you were 240! That's like me slapping an 80lb weight on my back, i'd barely be able to pedal. As your weight drops you'll be flying. I know some big dudes who are monsters on the flats... a local cat 2 is 210lbs and he'll take a pull into a headwind that drops everyone within a minute. On a small hill he can use his power to go up in a huge gear and then I have to pedal just to stay in his draft on the way down.

plugging some rough estimates into a calc for you:

30 miles, 160 watts (estimate) and no hills:
240lbs @ 160w: 16.93mph
200lbs @ 160w: 17.17mph

Now add 20 watts for improvement (still a realistic increase for you) to the 200lb effort and make it a 1% grade hill:

240lbs @ 160w: 13.37mph
200lbs @ 180w: 15.05mph

Some more fun:
my best estimate of your 5miles avg power might be 205w

on a 5 mile hill @ 3% you'll go up it 3 minutes (!) faster at 200lbs with the current power.

What I'm getting at is that even though 240 is high now, if you keep riding and improving as you drop some weight you'll keep seeing "huge gains" for a long time. Constant reward.

For weight loss the LONG (3+hour) group rides at ~70% can melt the fat while not being nearly as boring as riding alone. Intensity is low enough that you don't have to cram the carbs, just try to take in 2-300 cals of carbs an hour and then fight like hell to not binge that night. Eat the biggest breakfast you can manage before, too.

The best thing you can do is find a club to ride with. Second best thing is fork control :-P

Last edited by Soup; 02-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Jg
VeteranXV
Old
237 - 02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the informative reply Soup. Those were the numbers I was looking for. I went for a pretty hilly ride with a buddy about a month ago. He was like 5'9'' and about 150-160 lbs.

Those hills are a huge ***** to a big guy. I would much rather be able to go up them faster than down them just a few seconds faster than he was.

My goal is to get to 220 by the start of the tri season for me, which is May 1st. A very achievable goal. But based on my muscle mass and structure. I'm not quite sure I would be able to get much lower than 200.

I'll look at going across that bridge when I get to it.

On the bright side, I hardly ever think of buying a new bike because I know losing the weight is much more important of a factor. The Felt F75 has treated me pretty well so far. Maybe when I get down to 205, I'll reward myself with an upgrade.

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
238 - 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Keep doing triathlons and eating right and you'll go below 200 unless you're 6'6 lol. what region are you in? is it hilly? does your garmin show elevation gain/loss

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
239 - 02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
JG....
what garmin are you using?
I also just got the sensor and dont want it to take over speed

Jg
VeteranXV
Old
240 - 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm in the east bay. California. Plenty of hills to choose from.

I have a 310xt. It does elevation. Although I have heard it can be slightly inaccurate with its elevation reading. I did read more about the speed sensor. Garmin says if your gps is active and found it takes the place over the sensor.

Page 12 of 80

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)

Social Website Bullshit