[the] CYCLING discussion (thread) by FOURSTAR - Page 10 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)
Page 10 of 80
dubs
VeteranXV
Old
181 - 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
very cool article, I'm following a training program though, so I think I'll stick with it for the time being. Will definitely starting mixing in the 20min intervals eventually though. What are your thoughts on race wheels or a quarq? Race wheels = bling, but the quarq will probably do more to make me faster.

Sponsored Links
Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
182 - 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
So let's talk cycling glasses. What do you wear?

I'm due for an eye exam and a new pair of regular glasses to throw on my shelf and never use but I'd like to get a prescription pair of sunglasses to use while riding from now on.

Currently I use a pair of Oakley fives for my every day use and I wear them while riding. They are pretty poor in low/med light situations though and I really hate riding hard without having some sort of eye protection so I'm hesitant to remove them even when the suns dipping down.

I know Oakley is very good about getting decent eye wear w/ prescriptions and something like an M-Frame would be cool and isn't overly expensive for the frames themselves.

Rudy Project seems to have a **** load of options as well for both standard and prescription and are pretty much plugged non stop by everything triathlon but they are as expensive as Oakley and I am unfamiliar with them in general.

I also have about 200 pairs of throw away $10 gas station glasses that I bought in bulk at an auction but they are crappy as hell and not impact resistant at all and most aren't polarized ;P

Budget isn't overly an issue as protecting my eyes is a pretty big deal since I'm already legally blind in one and of course prescription is going to jack up prices by $200-$500 no matter where I go or what I do but whatever.

E-pinions nerds?

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
183 - 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
almost 2k for a power meter? really? wow

TF_Grungir
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
184 - 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
i have these
http://www.tifosioptics.com/products...t=Cycling|Run/

love em
not sure about getting a script though

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
185 - 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Specialized Bicycle Components : Uracco Optics

i got them mostly for the transition lenses cus, as you know around here, the light can change often. ive been considering buying some clear lenses just for night cus getting a face full of bugs on the trail is pretty common.

maybe look into ones where you can change out your lenses easily? idk much about prescription stuff

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
186 - 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post
almost 2k for a power meter? really? wow
i think one of the SRAM ones is just at 1k. give it a few more years, the price just keeps going down.

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
187 - 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Ya both the Oakleys and Rudy offer interchangeable lens w/ the transition style as well as clears.

Tifosi offers them as well but the problem is certain eye wear vendors either flat out don't offer RX on certain lens styles due to curvature or they do something like clip on attachments which is where they fall. Last time I really checked into this stuff was like 7-8 years ago though so I'm sure advancements have been made I just know only a few places offer a full compliment of eye wear for RX and they make sure you pay a premium ;o

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
188 - 01-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURSTAR View Post
i think one of the SRAM ones is just at 1k. give it a few more years, the price just keeps going down.
You can get cycleops for even less. Probably $400-500 if you shop around ;o

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
189 - 01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
i wear some cheap tifosi glasses with interchangeable lenses. don't know anything about RX lenses but I can give you a local team's discount code for rudy if you want. i used to ride with them but don't anymore so whatever.

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
190 - 01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
I have one that is like 50% off atm but if you can beat that let me know ;O

I don't think they take discounts on their RX stuff though ;[

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
191 - 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shinzo View Post
You can get cycleops for even less. Probably $400-500 if you shop around ;o
nice, one of the wireless ones? after i upgrade my bike thats my next planned purchase. maybe, idk yet. possibly after a few more years, i still feel pretty new to the sport.

dubs
VeteranXV
Old
192 - 01-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
If you're talking about the SRM, that's even more expensive. SRAM doesn't make a powermeter as far as I know. The price will likely keep going down, especially with all the new powermeters coming on the market.

The $600 power tap is wired. I might go that route too, except if you have more than 1 set of wheels, you'll have to buy multiple power taps. A crank based powermeter is better in that respect.

I wear tifosi also, nothing fancy, real cheap, it works.

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
193 - 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM
S975 Quarq

dubs
VeteranXV
Old
194 - 01-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:
S975 Quarq
That's a Quarq on a Sram crank. Sram doesn't actually make the powermeter, Quarq does.

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
195 - 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
ah gotcha, well thats what i meant by one of the sram ones at least :P

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
196 - 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Pretty damn cool.

I'm also beat.

swimmin

5 x 25M sprints
5 x 50M sprints

followed by

bike

2x15 mins. Legs were wobbling when I got off ;[

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
197 - 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
video was deleted what was it? summer dance?

was a beaut out today, wish i wasn't so sore or i would have gone out for a few. think im taking the weekend off, or might go running tomorrow. really need to clean my bike

Dai Shinzo
VeteranX
Old
198 - 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Quote:
video was deleted what was it? summer dance?

was a beaut out today, wish i wasn't so sore or i would have gone out for a few. think im taking the weekend off, or might go running tomorrow. really need to clean my bike
No it was this thing called Tokyo to Osaka like a 15 minute video.

Bam found another link.

***8220;Tokyo to Osaka***8221; Film | Hypebeast

FOURSTAR
VeteranXV
Old
199 - 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
neato. i liked the japanese tour guide, could tell he shops at prendas and had a great story with his bike.

have you seen MASH SF yet? its like required viewing by anyone who owns a fixie haha. i like watching it cus it gets me pumped for a ride, kinda like how skateboarding videos did when i skated.

Soup
Soup++
Contributor
Old
200 - 01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
i don't like to get that trendy with my cycling

Page 10 of 80

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page [the] CYCLING discussion (thread)

Social Website Bullshit