Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page ****in Brewfest
Page 1 of 2
zeph
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 09-28-2010, 12:35
On two different toons now I've had a mount drop that I already had trained. How hard would it have been to code the drops so that doesn't happen? Or at least make the mounts BoA. It's these little things that are odd that make me question firing up WoW before Cata again.

Sponsored Links
Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
2 - 09-28-2010, 12:57
This is the oldest complaint in WoW; the game constantly drops random **** no one wants (oh yaaay resto sham legs for.... no sham... )

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 09-28-2010, 13:30
They didn't code, that's the issue. They simple re-worked Coren into RDF and made it so the mount will drop out of the key-shaped chest instead of Coren himself. Everything else was copied/pasted from last year. Right now the only toon I have with a brewfest mount is my human rogue, and she had gotten it the very first year so she has the 160% ram as well. My coworker is getting irritated he can't get the kodo on his shaman and another friend is on her 3rd kodo on her priest.

Besides if they made acquiring the mount easy then you wouldn't sit there and play would you?

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 09-28-2010, 14:06
That's a bull**** excuse.

It's not that it's too hard, it's that it's too random, with no regard for what the player(s) can and can't use. It's a flawed loot system.

d0ur
VeteranX
Old
5 - 09-28-2010, 14:40
i hate the drops too. i like when it first started it if u went balls out, did the dailies everyday you could buy a mount.

Adroit
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 09-28-2010, 15:06
I got the Ram last year and the Kodo this year. woot?

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 09-28-2010, 15:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
That's a bull**** excuse.

It's not that it's too hard, it's that it's too random, with no regard for what the player(s) can and can't use. It's a flawed loot system.
Well it's keeping people logged in, playing, and paying their sub fees so it's probably not flawed to Blizzard.

TheGhost
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 09-28-2010, 22:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
she has the 160% ram as well
160% ram

wat

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 09-28-2010, 22:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
160% ram

wat
Let me do some math for you.

Normal ground is +60%. You add in your usual 100% and you get 160%.

Epic ground is +100%, you apply the same math and it comes to 200%.

That said, the first season of Brewfest you could buy a hand stamp for 200 tokens that gave you access to the mounts to be bought with coin. There was a blue ram and the epic, purple ram (the one everyone knows and pines for) but no kodo. The following season they took out the stamps and made the mount part of the loot table for Coren. I'm not entirely sure if Coren was even in Brewfest its first year, but the second year was when they took out the hand stamp though anyone who did buy it prior still has access to it. Doesn't matter since both rams are BoP.

Jamezeo
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 09-29-2010, 15:47
Stop trying to start some trend. Epic ground mounts are 100% and that's what people call them.

If you need math: rare mount is 60% faster than walking speed - epic mount is 100% faster than walking speed. No one refers to them as 160% and 200% That's like calling flying mounts 250%, 380%, and 410% speed.

Last edited by Jamezeo; 09-29-2010 at 15:50..
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 09-29-2010, 21:37
Also got two kodos in a row in two toons with an extra shanker, and of course on toons I use the least.

TheGhost
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 09-30-2010, 01:02
its feannag, he's a tard, I wouldn't waste time explaining it to him

kazan
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 09-30-2010, 02:21
Random loot is too random?

wtf.

It's RANDOM. This is the dumbest gripe. Seriously.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 09-30-2010, 11:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Volcanic View Post
Random loot is too random?

wtf.

It's RANDOM. This is the dumbest gripe. Seriously.
To a fault.

Gaming is about reward systems; do a task, receive a reward. The harder the task, the greater the reward (in theory).

Grinding through 10 bosses only to receive loot that nobody can use is a fundamental failure in game design. I'm talking pure game theory here, not what makes for a successful business model (or scam in this case).

It is possible for some things to be too random. Look at what Blizzard did with scaling drop rates for quest items in Wrath.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57886

Last edited by Data; 09-30-2010 at 12:01..
kazan
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 09-30-2010, 23:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
To a fault.

Gaming is about reward systems; do a task, receive a reward. The harder the task, the greater the reward (in theory).

Grinding through 10 bosses only to receive loot that nobody can use is a fundamental failure in game design. I'm talking pure game theory here, not what makes for a successful business model (or scam in this case).

It is possible for some things to be too random. Look at what Blizzard did with scaling drop rates for quest items in Wrath.

Blizzard Details Secret World of Warcraft 'Progressive Percentage' Item Drop Mechanic - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads
That's a foolish and selfish take on it. You can't cite their changes on quest drops, and be making a point on rare drops from special occasions or raid drops. They did that for quest drops because killing plainstriders for two hours for their heads that have a 15% drop rate is ****ing stupid, and people called them on it because it sucks.

But to address a point or two, raid drops are shared among the group, and in a 25 man, you are very likely to have 9, if not all 10 of the classes represented, in a 10, 7 is more likely. Dropping gear that nobody needs is very subjective. At what point does the game start deciding nobody needs it? What if somebody wants to build an off set? What if they are building a set for something they want to main spec?

Also, very few items are dropped that are meant for one class, and one class alone. Who cares if it isn't ideal for a hunter, or that it is leather for an enh shaman, cloth for a holy paly or resto druid, etc. Basically, just because they might have the item, or the item isn't in the proper armor class, or whatnot, or you don't have a class that it would be absolutely ideal for attending, doesn't mean it is a worthless drop.

Just because gear YOU want doesn't drop, doesn't make it flawed. The drops per boss are set in percentage brackets, so some things, like trinkets and back pieces, drop at a lower rate than other gear, simply because they decided to make those a linchpin for returning to the fight. The other solution would have been to drop more loot. Which would make the whole raid gear much faster, but would also diminish interest in the fights faster, as many people, after the first two months or so, are only going for the gear and for the incomplete progression fights.

As for rare drops like the ram. They're rare for a reason. They aren't going to scale your drop chances for it as you loot more and more brewfest bags. Wah, you didn't get it. Because its rare. They did you a favor this year by at least giving everybody an equal chance to get it, instead of making it a single drop and having to roll on it.

In short, you QQ for no reason besides wanting something that really doesn't even matter. Please, keep wanting things handed to you on a silver platter. Its half the reason 90% of the raid content in WotLK was laughable except for a few of the hard modes, and they gave 200 and 219 epics to anybody who cared to join a 5-man.

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
16 - 10-01-2010, 08:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Volcanic View Post
That's a foolish and selfish take on it. You can't cite their changes on quest drops, and be making a point on rare drops from special occasions or raid drops. They did that for quest drops because killing plainstriders for two hours for their heads that have a 15% drop rate is ****ing stupid, and people called them on it because it sucks.

But to address a point or two, raid drops are shared among the group, and in a 25 man, you are very likely to have 9, if not all 10 of the classes represented, in a 10, 7 is more likely. Dropping gear that nobody needs is very subjective. At what point does the game start deciding nobody needs it? What if somebody wants to build an off set? What if they are building a set for something they want to main spec?

Also, very few items are dropped that are meant for one class, and one class alone. Who cares if it isn't ideal for a hunter, or that it is leather for an enh shaman, cloth for a holy paly or resto druid, etc. Basically, just because they might have the item, or the item isn't in the proper armor class, or whatnot, or you don't have a class that it would be absolutely ideal for attending, doesn't mean it is a worthless drop.

Just because gear YOU want doesn't drop, doesn't make it flawed. The drops per boss are set in percentage brackets, so some things, like trinkets and back pieces, drop at a lower rate than other gear, simply because they decided to make those a linchpin for returning to the fight. The other solution would have been to drop more loot. Which would make the whole raid gear much faster, but would also diminish interest in the fights faster, as many people, after the first two months or so, are only going for the gear and for the incomplete progression fights.

As for rare drops like the ram. They're rare for a reason. They aren't going to scale your drop chances for it as you loot more and more brewfest bags. Wah, you didn't get it. Because its rare. They did you a favor this year by at least giving everybody an equal chance to get it, instead of making it a single drop and having to roll on it.

In short, you QQ for no reason besides wanting something that really doesn't even matter. Please, keep wanting things handed to you on a silver platter. Its half the reason 90% of the raid content in WotLK was laughable except for a few of the hard modes, and they gave 200 and 219 epics to anybody who cared to join a 5-man.
Dude why the hell are you arguing something that has been homosexual since WoW's inception? (Oh hey we finally beat 10 man UBRS!! What dropped?? Oh sweet more Beaststalker for all the NON ****ING HUNTERS IN RAID -> Hey what 2-3 epics dropped from VoA10? Oh 3 of the same ****ing thing that no one can use? AWESOME)

It should be random within the confines of the group; I don't need to get loot, but **** me, someone in the raid better.

(Next you'll tell us vanish is working as intended)

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 10-01-2010, 09:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma5000 View Post
It should be random within the confines of the group; I don't need to get loot, but **** me, someone in the raid better.
Thats what emblems are for. If the drops didn't go your way, at least you have something to show for it. It provides continual gear advancement, even when you don't get your drop.

I don't mind if nothing useful drops in a raid. It's not exactly like we're pressed for time to gear up. Ulduar was like 3 months late in being released. ICC was months late. My 10 man group got our frostwyrm mounts out of ICC back in March. And Cata is still months away. Not gearing up in the shortest amount of time actually gives you more reason to play long-term.

You may hate that, but most people who gear up before everyone else, gets bored of raiding content that they can't get anything from, and quit for a few months.

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
18 - 10-01-2010, 10:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
Thats what emblems are for. If the drops didn't go your way, at least you have something to show for it. It provides continual gear advancement, even when you don't get your drop.

I don't mind if nothing useful drops in a raid. It's not exactly like we're pressed for time to gear up. Ulduar was like 3 months late in being released. ICC was months late. My 10 man group got our frostwyrm mounts out of ICC back in March. And Cata is still months away. Not gearing up in the shortest amount of time actually gives you more reason to play long-term.

You may hate that, but most people who gear up before everyone else, gets bored of raiding content that they can't get anything from, and quit for a few months.
I am amazed people feel this way. How can anyone be ok with wasting their time for hours with zero reward? Badges were a bandaid solution (that didn't exist for years while this was still an issue) but the easiest (most logical) solution would simply be to have the RNG be based off of available options.

"Ah I spent 3 hours tonight and no one got any gear.. man that was fun"

Who is like this? They are crazy and need to unplug from the matrix.

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
19 - 10-01-2010, 11:14
well, if you raid for 3 hours and nobody got any gear its because:

a) everyone is only missing a few pieces, QQ more about being 85% BiS
b) you wiped all night and didn't down anything.

I know emblems didn't exist pre-bc, but the point still stands. The only thing back then that could have been an issue was pally gear droping for horde and shaman for alliance. THAT would be truely pointless.

You now have emblems, tradeable loot, and gear tokens that cover multiple classes if not all. It's nearly impossible these days to waste hours in a raid and not get anything to show for it.

I've seen it time and time again. People QQ about not getting gear, and once they do they pull the "Raiding is boring. I'm not getting anything from it since I already have anything. [/quit] or [/quit for better guild]" And now your raid is down a top geared player. And when someone quits with gear that you still need but lost/passed to them in the past, that is even worse than it not droping at all.

If WoW's loot reward system is not enough for you, what is? It's already pretty easy mode to gear up. It's not like you have to camp world spawns and compete for the kill. There's tons of ways to earn gear (drops/honor/tokens). Everything is instanced. You can do it WHEN it's convieniant for your group. etc.

I find no matter how much Blizzard caters to the casual crowd (who want everything for nothing), they will still complain.

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
20 - 10-01-2010, 11:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
well, if you raid for 3 hours and nobody got any gear its because:

a) everyone is only missing a few pieces, QQ more about being 85% BiS
b) you wiped all night and didn't down anything.

I know emblems didn't exist pre-bc, but the point still stands. The only thing back then that could have been an issue was pally gear droping for horde and shaman for alliance. THAT would be truely pointless.

You now have emblems, tradeable loot, and gear tokens that cover multiple classes if not all. It's nearly impossible these days to waste hours in a raid and not get anything to show for it.

I've seen it time and time again. People QQ about not getting gear, and once they do they pull the "Raiding is boring. I'm not getting anything from it since I already have anything. [/quit] or [/quit for better guild]" And now your raid is down a top geared player. And when someone quits with gear that you still need but lost/passed to them in the past, that is even worse than it not droping at all.

If WoW's loot reward system is not enough for you, what is? It's already pretty easy mode to gear up. It's not like you have to camp world spawns and compete for the kill. There's tons of ways to earn gear (drops/honor/tokens). Everything is instanced. You can do it WHEN it's convieniant for your group. etc.

I find no matter how much Blizzard caters to the casual crowd (who want everything for nothing), they will still complain.
I can tell you didn't play vanilla wow much.

I can also tell you have a huge elitist chip on your shoulder and you're using it to write ridiculous responses that have very little to do with what I am talking about.

In short, you just don't get it.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page ****in Brewfest

Social Website Bullshit