Herb aioli/mayonaise

gabe

Veteran X
I wanted to make egg salad recently with the mayo made from scratch, and since then I've come up with all kinds of delicious mayonnaise type sauces.

This one I mixed with chicken for a chicken salad, but I think it would especially be good on fish.

olive oil
3 egg yolks
Clove of garlic
some green onions
2 cups of extra virgin olive oil (can use any oil really)
juice of 1 lemon
tarragon
basil
brown mustard
salt
pepper

To make mayonnaise/aioli, a little bit of patience is key. Start by whipping or blending the egg yolks with the mustard, garlic, and onions until it is pureed and the mustard is completely mixed in.

Now is the important part: add the oil SLOWLY. start with just a few drops and mix it for a good 10-15 seconds, then add a few more drops, then allow a tiny stream for a few seconds. if you are using a food processor or blender you can add it more quickly but you still have to add it a little at a time. once you have about half of the oil mixed in you can add the rest of the oil more quickly but don't dump it in, continue pouring relatively slowly. it takes me about 5-8 minutes because i'm really careful. eventually it will get to a pretty thick consistency and that's how you want it. add herbs, salt, pepper, lemon juice and give it another quick blend. refrigerate and you have a delicious and beautiful sauce that can be used for tons of stuff.

Back