Preparing Chillies.

Kiint

Contributor
Veteran XX
Well, I decided to make some candied jalapenos (which turned out fantastic) which involved a metric shit ton of chilli cutting and preparation. Basically about 20 Jalapenos cut into approx 1/4" slices. Then cut out the center membrane and seeds leaving a jalapeno ring.

Well, part of this process, in my brilliance was to cut out the center and wash the remaining Jalapenos under a tap to remove the seeds.

FUCKING WRONG ... DON'T DO IT.

My hands are still burning the next day, they are sore like sunburn. Last night I couldn't touch anything with a little heat as they would immediately burn up like holding your hand in boiling water.

At least the candied jalapenos made it worth it.

the worst part is, "incredibly tiny" doesn't do it justice in terms of describing just how small it really is.

well i guess its obvious at this point but when working with a large amount of chiles you probably want to don rubber gloves (non-powdered)

well i guess its obvious at this point but when working with a large amount of chiles you probably want to don rubber gloves (non-powdered)

Normally I don't wash them under water, but this time while I was cutting the middles out alot of seeds were dispersed and I thought water was a good idea to get rid of them.

My fingers themselves arent burning, they are used to chilli preparation, its the palms and backs of my hands that hurt.

But it is such a sweet pain.

Instead of the capscaicin being on the fingertips, the water spreads it all over the hands where it is absorbed by the skin.

Back