[OFN] Wal Basses back in production

The bridge is cast, not machined?
"Wal printed circuit electronic modules use high stability, closest tolerance components"
IE - very hard/impossible to mod or repair.
"Six-piece laminated neck made from Canadian Rock Maple and Brazilian Mahogany."
Wtf? My cheap SG has a one piece neck.

So, tell me what the attraction is.

I'd like an Alembic.
;)

The bridge is cast, not machined?
"Wal printed circuit electronic modules use high stability, closest tolerance components"
IE - very hard/impossible to mod or repair.
"Six-piece laminated neck made from Canadian Rock Maple and Brazilian Mahogany."
Wtf? My cheap SG has a one piece neck.

So, tell me what the attraction is.

I'd like an Alembic.
;)

Who would mod a Wal? It's not a Fender, dude.

A laminated neck is stronger, and allows the luthier to select and mix tonewoods to achieve a specific sound. Um, your SG has a glued-on headstock, btw. Oh, and it's attached to the body with glue in the neck pocket.

Alembics are nice, same class as Wals. My best friend from high school bought an 80s Spoiler for $600 in 1989, and still has it. It's an awesome bass.

Just a few examples of Tool's bassist's Wal tone, though from what I understand it's a pretty versatile bass--these songs are played with a pick. I'm sure some of you more knowledgeable members know some more albums with sexy / different Wal tone--I think Geddy played one for a while.

Even if you don't really dig the band, I think Tool has always had pretty awesome bass tone, going back to the Paul D'Amour days with his Rick, but I prefer JC's gritty Wal goodness.

Who would mod a Wal? It's not a Fender, dude.

A laminated neck is stronger, and allows the luthier to select and mix tonewoods to achieve a specific sound. Um, your SG has a glued-on headstock, btw. Oh, and it's attached to the body with glue in the neck pocket.

Alembics are nice, same class as Wals. My best friend from high school bought an 80s Spoiler for $600 in 1989, and still has it. It's an awesome bass.

The only pieces glued onto my SG neck are the 'wings' of the head stock on either side.
From the pocket to the top is one piece.
The body is two pieces.

Ummm...people mod $5,000 LPs all the time.
Swapping pots or caps or pickups.

If you like laminates then this will make you cream!
SGZTBDCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of laminate natural finishes. Honestly, I've always looked down upon the dining room table look. It's just not attractive to me. I like a nice shiny paintjob.

For some reason I thought the SG/LP headstock was glued on. Can't be right about everything I guess :)

Probably because they break all the time?

And obviously the fretboard is glued on, too.
I was mistaken about the body - it is three pieces, not two.
3piece.jpg

headstock.jpg

Photos make the pieces really obvious. ;)

Back