Finally got my quel'delar.

If you go as tank you'll have no problem finding a group with LFG tool. Run 25 dungeons until you get your Perky Pug and you should have enough Triumph emblems for at least half of a T9 set.

The T9 set is barely a improvement over the 4 pc T8.5 set because the bonus was so strong. I have the 245 shoulders and the Blood shed band for the ret set.

For the prot set I have the 245 head and shoulders and the T9 gloves and legs and the 245 tanking ring and the rep ring from ICC (friendly). I picked up new weapon, belt, boots and neck from the new instances.

Right now I have 231 emblems of triumph and I keep looking at what are the best upgrades, using some emblems to get some crap crafted would help, but I keep looking at it as without a raid I am going to be tanking for everything.

The T9 set is barely a improvement over the 4 pc T8.5 set because the bonus was so strong. I have the 245 shoulders and the Blood shed band for the ret set.
You're getting turned down for PUG raids because GearScore is everything and raid leaders don't care if you don't want to replace T8.5 with T9 because of set bonuses.

The other thing is that guild leader said they are looking for a ret paly so they might just take me in ToC 25 and help me out with some trophies so I can get up for the roll fast.

DR the t9 bonus is nice and more than worth dumping t8.5. The t9 bonus is almost nice enough to keep until you have 4pc t10, though the 232 pieces are of course weak compared to the 251 t10.

Get a damn healer and maybe some dps you know and queue til you can't take it anymore. Get the libram as well if you don't have it because in non-aoe fights it's the best available atm. ToGC10 if you and the rest of your raid know the fights is about the best way to get trophies without buying them or hoping for good rolls. If they limit it to 1 trophy per player then just have 3 friends in the raid win one as well and trade them to you afterwards.

Try finding a GDKP run like someone said. Tonight I bought Bryntroll, The Bone Arbiter for 600g (only 2 plate DPS in the raid this week, and the other passed at bidding me up since I was on my main). That axe is amazing, the proc alone does 5-8% of my damage. Even if you don't get shit, you still get paid. Ours is good for 3-4k each week (6-800g from ToC25, 2.5-4k from ICC25). Weaker geared runs will have more people bidding so you'll make a lot more in ToC, ours has almost everything besides trophies and trinkets going for 200g minimum bid.

Only problems with GDKP are when people don't bid ("I don't have any money lol") or when the raid leader doesn't have enough geared people to carry the bidders through the raid.

Only problems with GDKP are when people don't bid ("I don't have any money lol") or when the raid leader doesn't have enough geared people to carry the bidders through the raid.
You don't bring randoms without gold, that's the whole point. You bring your guild's best players that are willing to carry the rest, and some undergeared players willing to pay a lot for shit that'd otherwise be sharded. Or in the case of our ICC25 GDKP raid, we bring regulars from our Alt 25man raid that we've had all of Wotlk and instead of rolling we openly bid everything then split it up at the end. Tier tokens have been going for 10-15k, the armor pen trinket off Saurfang went for 20.5k last week but only 12k this week, and I bought Nibelung on my priest for I think 8k last week (it went for 7.5 this week). We had 2 Death's Choice drop in all of ToC25 and both went to randoms we had to fill the raid so this helps to eliminate that. I only got my axe for 600g because the only other mainspec DPS plate in the raid passed since I was on my main (we didn't raid as a guild last week and won't this week). It's rare that we have 3 ferals and 3 rogues in our DPS groups but raiding mains came in for emblems instead of their alts.

People outside the guild that don't have deep pockets haven't been invited, random players outside the guild with 100k+ to blow have helped make us rich so we can buy the shit we want when it drops. If your server hosts a GDKP raid (or multiple) and you have plenty of gold to spend, they'll find a way to get you in.

Yeah, for GDKP to work well you need a good raid organizer and you need the raid filled with people who are geared, rich, or both. That said, when those conditions are met, it's a pretty amazing idea.

A guildy of mine basically started GDKP on my server, and it has gotten huge. Several runs of both ToC25 and ICC25 happen each week, tons of people idling in the GDKP chat channel, and a huge turnout every time.

If you're a good organizer and you have spare time each week, you might even look into starting it on your own server if it isn't there already.

I was under the impression people who ran GDKP runs always had three groups.

Core - They are the geared and knowledgeable people, the group you hinge on making the raid sucessful.

Mercs - People who are overgeared or close to the gear equivalent, they are generally there for the gold but sometimes they will bid if they are looking for a specific thing.

VIPs - These are the people who, like the Core, are required. They are undergeared, and they have gold, and they just want gear ASAP. It's generally accepted the bulk of the gold in the run comes from VIPs, and you generally want a good group of them present.

pretty much... I'm normally under the merc category, might throw some g out on death's verdict, as that is the only thing i need in toc25, yet everytime i do a gdkp, it doesn't drop.

Never did a GDKP run myself. One of our top raiding guilds (Civilian @ Bonechewer) tends to run them every Saturday and you have to sign up and such. I would go but I lack the gold to be in a VIP but I may see if I can go as a Merc later, I could still use the Vitality on ToC-25 (people still advocate stam-stacking despite Blizzard's assumed attempts to steer towards EH/Avoidance/Mitigation).

Nah, not for ret pallies. If you aren't having hit problems (I don't know any who do), the hilt is like a 150+ dps increase over Citadel Enforcer's Claymore - Item - World of Warcraft

I have the claymore on my ret set :p

Pretty much this. It is the best weapon you can get pre icc25. The bone arbiter is horrible as it has no stats for a ret pally. No crit, no haste, nothing. I would loose about 7%crit going to that weapon.

The quel'delar is nice because it has every stat a ret pally needs. STR,haste,crit. Thats all you need.

Plus it looks fucking badass.

Pretty much this. It is the best weapon you can get pre icc25. The bone arbiter is horrible as it has no stats for a ret pally. No crit, no haste, nothing. I would loose about 7%crit going to that weapon.

The quel'delar is nice because it has every stat a ret pally needs. STR,haste,crit. Thats all you need.

You need to do some more reading.

Bryntroll, the Bone Arbiter - Item - World of Warcraft

is the best 2h melee weapon available.

Last edited:

The proc on the Bone Arbiter accounts for 4.5-9% of my damage on EVERYTHING. It's #5-7 spell (drain life) in damage output for me at all times, even higher single target. It beats out consecrate, divine storm, exorcism on all but large packs of trash and I don't have to do anything to activate the proc.

Compared to Nibelung for casters (my priest has one) that only accounts for barely 1% of my damage done or ~15k dmg each time it procs, it's borderline overpowered. Just for the Anub encounter after looting Bryntroll it was about 170k damage for one fight from the proc. If I'd spec into Divinity it'd probably be as OP as a shadowpriest with Improved Vampiric Embrace for self healing as well.

Rets don't need haste, either. It's about as good for us as armor penetration. That's why Saurfang's axe is equally good. The sword Ghost linked isn't horrible, either, but if you're like me you're already well over the hit cap and not looking to add another 103 hit.

Never did a GDKP run myself. One of our top raiding guilds (Civilian @ Bonechewer) tends to run them every Saturday and you have to sign up and such. I would go but I lack the gold to be in a VIP but I may see if I can go as a Merc later, I could still use the Vitality on ToC-25 (people still advocate stam-stacking despite Blizzard's assumed attempts to steer towards EH/Avoidance/Mitigation).

Stam stacking is part of having a large EH. Same with armor.

Blizz is steering away from avoidance since the values have become so inflated, otherwise the ICC debuff would be unnecessary. Avoidance (miss, dodge, parry) is a part of damage mitigation (miss, dodge, parry, block).

Cata tanks will see more stam/armor on gear and less avoidance (much much less % per rating than now).

Please stop being dumb.

Back