Patch 3.3

wish i could have a "battle.net" friends list for cross realm bullshitting
my biggest gripe about the new LFG is that they should have assigned "tank/dps/heal" labels to gear and had it filter people being able to roll depending on the talents they have chosen instead of the armor type

missed out on two cloth +hit gear for my boomkin set from the new 5mans already. gonna try to do all 3 of those with a group from my own server from now on.

*edit*
fool, u totally served that heroic UK its ass on a platter eh

Last edited:
I can hit 2300 and my bear has shit gear. If I pulled enough at once I'm sure I could at least hit 3k, but I doubt most pug healers could keep me up.

did a chain last night full pug, where we were at the boss with the random heroic debuff a few times. its insanely easy with a non shit group. like warlocks that use VW in passive, refuse to soulstone, healthstone, and talk.

I hate that crap. Got my huntard to 4700 GS with proper raid spec and medium gemming/enchanting and I can barely eek out 2700 on single target in groups, up to 3500 if there's packs to Volley. I'm still in process of getting it all gemmed in delicate Cardinals (have scarlets in place in the meantime) and see people with shittier gear just blow by my damage like it's nothing. Especially DKs come in in 200 blues and BLAM! 3800 DPS.

I hate that crap. Got my huntard to 4700 GS with proper raid spec and medium gemming/enchanting and I can barely eek out 2700 on single target in groups, up to 3500 if there's packs to Volley. I'm still in process of getting it all gemmed in delicate Cardinals (have scarlets in place in the meantime) and see people with shittier gear just blow by my damage like it's nothing. Especially DKs come in in 200 blues and BLAM! 3800 DPS.

Do people really judge wow players, especially their own players, by gear score?
Am I the worse player for having Greatness trinket (item level 200) vs Bandit's Insignia (item level 213), if myself and another player had exact same gear otherwise?

No. Gearscore is dumb.

Do people really judge wow players, especially their own players, by gear score?
Am I the worse player for having Greatness trinket (item level 200) vs Bandit's Insignia (item level 213), if myself and another player had exact same gear otherwise?

No. Gearscore is dumb.

My point was I do everything I can to maximize my damage as a hunter, from enchants to gemming to rotations to proper spec, etc. and then watch a DK in lower gear with a spazzy spec blow by me on the meters without really trying. Maybe once I get the full compliment of top-end enchants/scopes and full Delicate Cardinals (and one Nightmare's Tear, fucking meta...) it may be different but from what my coworker says, who has a tanking DK, I probably won't catch up anyway.

My point was I do everything I can to maximize my damage as a hunter, from enchants to gemming to rotations to proper spec, etc. and then watch a DK in lower gear with a spazzy spec blow by me on the meters without really trying. Maybe once I get the full compliment of top-end enchants/scopes and full Delicate Cardinals (and one Nightmare's Tear, fucking meta...) it may be different but from what my coworker says, who has a tanking DK, I probably won't catch up anyway.

I wasn't taking a stab at you or your character, I was merely saying that Gearscore mod is dumb.

I wasn't taking a stab at you or your character, I was merely saying that Gearscore mod is dumb.

It is, but it's generally used as a baseline of potential. If your gear is to a degree then the encounter will be easier to do. Of course most idiots take the baseline (the gear required to do encounters without much struggle) and add more to it. I assume the underlying theory to this is that if you are overgeared for an encounter in a pug it increases the margin for error you have to avoid wiping and getting it done.

Then again if you are overgeared for an encounter what's the point of doing it?

It is, but it's generally used as a baseline of potential. If your gear is to a degree then the encounter will be easier to do. Of course most idiots take the baseline (the gear required to do encounters without much struggle) and add more to it. I assume the underlying theory to this is that if you are overgeared for an encounter in a pug it increases the margin for error you have to avoid wiping and getting it done.

Then again if you are overgeared for an encounter what's the point of doing it?

There is no but. I can tell enough about a player to know if he is good or not by inspecting him without the need of an addon telling me his "gearscore."

People with high-end gear has to do heroics where we are ridiculously overgeared for emblems of frost.

Anything else?

There is no but. I can tell enough about a player to know if he is good or not by inspecting him without the need of an addon telling me his "gearscore."

People with high-end gear has to do heroics where we are ridiculously overgeared for emblems of frost.

Anything else?

I doubt you'd be able to tell at an /inspect. I personally don't waste epic gems and good enchants on gear that's lower than i232, unless I acquired the piece before 3.2/3.3. Jam its blue counterpart into it (or even a perfect green cut) is enough for that gear, would that make me a baddie? And conversely there could be people who followed elitistjerks religiously and has all the proper specs, gems, enchants, etc. but do not know specific encounters or choose to ignore their respective roles, like melee'ing the scarabs on Anub or ignoring the Mistresses on Jaraxxis.

Besides, the fun part about the GS addon is if you have someone with exceptional gear fucking up they really have no defense to being a baddie.

I can tell how good someone's gear is from /inspect by looking at the the ilvls and whether it's enchanted and gemmed. Gearscore also likes to spam lots of network traffic for no good reason.

I doubt you'd be able to tell at an /inspect.

This is what separates people like you and people like me btw. Call it elitist, call it being an asshole, whatever. I'm better at this game than you and I can tell from an inspect.

That isn't to say that the person with correct gearset, gems, enchants won't suck though.

I personally don't waste epic gems and good enchants on gear that's lower than i232, unless I acquired the piece before 3.2/3.3. Jam its blue counterpart into it (or even a perfect green cut) is enough for that gear, would that make me a baddie? And conversely there could be people who followed elitistjerks religiously and has all the proper specs, gems, enchants, etc. but do not know specific encounters or choose to ignore their respective roles, like melee'ing the scarabs on Anub or ignoring the Mistresses on Jaraxxis.

Besides, the fun part about the GS addon is if you have someone with exceptional gear fucking up they really have no defense to being a baddie.

Why is that the "fun part" of the addon? Like I said, you don't need an addon to tell you if someone is well geared or not. You need it because you're bad at this game and you can't tell otherwise.

I installed gear score because somebody said that that people were using it when picking people for pugs. I see why people would use it for setting up 10 or 25 man raids because it is a quick check that gives you a idea of their gear level without having to inspect every person.

In 5 mans I have recount running and I only open it up to check it at the end or if it seems like stuff isn't dying fast enough, we kicked a DK that was doing 1100 dps in heroic Pit of Saron. The best groups are when I see all the dps above me as the tank and the difference between the highest dps and and lowest (including the tank) is around 5%. I have had heroic groups that as the tank I did 38% of the damage, shit takes a long time to die.

I got in an argument with someone in Maraudon over the usefulness of Recount's "DPS" versus Damage Done. He ended up putting me on ignore because I hurt his feelings.

On a side note the new LFG system is pretty cool for leveling.

This is what separates people like you and people like me btw. Call it elitist, call it being an asshole, whatever. I'm better at this game than you and I can tell from an inspect.

That isn't to say that the person with correct gearset, gems, enchants won't suck though.

Why is that the "fun part" of the addon? Like I said, you don't need an addon to tell you if someone is well geared or not. You need it because you're bad at this game and you can't tell otherwise.

Why are you complaining? You can get through the whole GS bullshit by using the RDF. My huntard was scarcely enough to do heroics and thanks to the RDF you get groups and it's extremely difficult to get rid of someone. It would take time to agree to vote to kick you out, and in that time you probably could have done the first boss. You do your job in RDF, get gold, emblems, and maybe some 200 drops if you really need them and by the time you do that and get even 1/2 the drops from H-ICC you're at a GS to do pretty much everything from ToC-25 down.

You're making it sound like GS is some evil thing and you are fighting against it like some revolutionary. You think it's stupid then fine, but best of luck getting various pugs when you flatly tell them you don't believe in GS because then they won't take you.

And I beg to differ on you being to tell player quality by an inspect. Anyone can simply roll into EJ, do everything they say down to gems, enchants, and what not and they will look identical to someone who is competent. Given that what else is there left to tell a difference? Looking for jewelcrafting, blacksmithing, or tailoring marks like extra sockets and dragon's eye gems? They cover that shit in EJ too so if they have that profession they know where to find it.

Hell even the prot paladin section seems to have a nice "Here's what you need to get to be def-capped from heroics" section.

Back