leetdemon
VeteranX
Old
21 - 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
more grinding than EQ?

screwwwwww that

how does having to spend more time doing mindless grinding make a game harder?
if you had to complete difficult quests or encounters or something to level, I'd say yeah that's harder. grinding just takes something easy and makes you repeat it over and over so it takes a long ****ing time.
well its mainly group grinding and instancing. its not like you just go out and kill mobs alone. you are teaming 99% of the time. to me thats what mmo's are about teamwork and grouping. Wow fails at that horribly except in endgame raids. The wow leveling process is a joke.

Sponsored Links
Mael
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
22 - 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM
It seems the word "Grind" has evolved to simply mean killing mobs not related to a quest, instead of the actual meaning of sitting in one spot and just killing mindlessly for hours.

Aion does not require you sit and kill mobs in one spot for hours on end, and it's "Grind" is NOTHING like EQ's. EQ's grind was bad.

WoW was designed to get EVERYONE to max level. Aion makes you work for it a bit, it's not all instant gratification.

I'm having fun leveling. If you find yourself not having fun, then logic would say you should stop playing. However don't expect the "End game on a platter" kind of leveling that WoW created.

I can still get 2 levels a night in the late 20's.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
23 - 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetdemon View Post
well its mainly group grinding and instancing. its not like you just go out and kill mobs alone. you are teaming 99% of the time. to me thats what mmo's are about teamwork and grouping. Wow fails at that horribly except in endgame raids. The wow leveling process is a joke.
To be fair WoW's leveling process wasn't always like that and it didn't happen overnight. After a lot of people hit the level cap some of them started to look for ways to "exploit" the leveling process, to minimize the time they needed to spend going from 1 to cap (because they already did it once). The earliest of which was grouping with a capped character and having him kill **** for you. The normal experience you would get, on top of the group bonus, had people fly through levels. So much so attempts were made to curb it. Eventually it got to the point where you lose so much experience in any group or level range for monster kills it wasn't worth grouping at all unless you went into a dungeon.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
24 - 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post
It seems the word "Grind" has evolved to simply mean killing mobs not related to a quest, instead of the actual meaning of sitting in one spot and just killing mindlessly for hours.
Grinding to me means sitting in one spot killing mindlessly for hours. That is what it was in EQ / DAOC. Hence my interpretation.

Goofy
VeteranX
Old
25 - 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godswill View Post
Here's a spreadsheet which reprensents the amount of grinding you have to do from 31 - 44.. if you don't call that grinding, give your head a shake..

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7...3044expis4.jpg
jebus

Falhawk
VeteranXV
Old
26 - 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
more grinding than EQ?

screwwwwww that

how does having to spend more time doing mindless grinding make a game harder?
if you had to complete difficult quests or encounters or something to level, I'd say yeah that's harder. grinding just takes something easy and makes you repeat it over and over so it takes a long ****ing time.
heh I agree

I've never bought into the pro-grind argument. If you like the grind you're not more hardcore than me, you just don't have better things to do with your time.

leetdemon
VeteranX
Old
27 - 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhawk View Post
heh I agree

I've never bought into the pro-grind argument. If you like the grind you're not more hardcore than me, you just don't have better things to do with your time.
Then you shouldn't be playing an mmo if you have "better" things to be doing. or you can just play wow its based off people who dont have time. grind games show more dedication there is no doubt about that, does it mean you are more hardcore maybe not but then again as i said ealier lets see how many of you that made it to max level in wow make it to max level in aion

Heimdal
VeteranX
Old
28 - 10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godswill View Post
Here's a spreadsheet which reprensents the amount of grinding you have to do from 31 - 44.. if you don't call that grinding, give your head a shake..

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7...3044expis4.jpg
Well that's great, but do you have any idea how much XP you get per kill? That really means nothing if you don't know that. Hell, I don't even know how much you get out of killing elites and such at that level. It could be 250k at 44, which makes that chart mean nothing aside from appearing awful.

Like I said, you get half or more of your level from doing the daily instance that takes 30 minutes. That is considered grinding.

Falhawk
VeteranXV
Old
29 - 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetdemon View Post
or you can just play wow its based off people who dont have time.
I do

Quote:
i said ealier lets see how many of you that made it to max level in wow make it to max level in aion
what will that prove other than which one of us has a higher tolerance for boring stuff.

Grinding, in any mmo, is boring. Games that make you do less are better.

Mael
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
30 - 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok it's quite obvious that no matter what is said here, no one is going to believe anyone.

So the answer is, play the game. If you dig it, cool. If not, you're out a few bucks and hey, no one wins all the time.

leetdemon
VeteranX
Old
31 - 10-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post
Ok it's quite obvious that no matter what is said here, no one is going to believe anyone.

So the answer is, play the game. If you dig it, cool. If not, you're out a few bucks and hey, no one wins all the time.
amen

d0ggy
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
32 - 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
At 24, i could solo elites for 35k xp. But I could also kill non elites for 7k faster. Just sayin elites give HUGE xp. Hit 25 last night, will be going into the abyss tonight for questin/grinding. Abyss mobs supposly give alot more xp and have less HP then normal mobs. Cant wait, i want lvl 28 for my new pewpews.

Divinity
VeteranX
Old
33 - 10-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I never played any of the older mmos, thus my opinion might not mean ****. However, it seems retarded to me to give say a level 28 only enough quests to give them 10% or so of the xp required to level to 29. Standing in a forest killing **** for the other 6 hours it takes you to level seems like a ridiculously stupid thing to do. Whether you're grouped up with another guy or not you're still standing in the forest killing random **** for 6 hours.

Why not just put in enough quests to level doing it that way? To me, having the focus and attention span to stand in a forest and kill **** for 6 hours does not make you more hardcore than somebody in wow running quest routes.

Mael
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
34 - 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
You know if I hadn't played WoW for a few months and seen how mechanical quest helper is, I might have some empathy.

And for those who don't like grinding... GO EXPLORE!!! Hell I don't sit in one spot and grind, I roam all over checking exp vs HP on mobs, finding new quest givers, jumping elyos, finding new crazy places to jump from and soar down from.

This isn't a board game where you have to follow the path.

And if end game is so important to you, and you don't want to actually EARN the levels yourselves, well there are a ton of Koreans anxious to power level you for $400.

Mooley
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
THere's a ton of **** to keep your mind of the grinding for the most part. If you don't play but want to talk **** about it, stfu. (Not directed to people who might be interested. Only cock holsters who want to shoot their mouth off) You got the abyss, You got rifts to the enemy realm, you have quests for the most part will level you if you do them in order and many quests are entertaining. Some will take you to the enemy side to complete it which can be a ton of fun if you're questing together with friends. You got crafting and customization. The game encourages grouping which playing with friends is the best part. PVP. I thoroughly enjoy this game. It's not that ****ing grindy .. yet anyway. Im lvl 26 :>

Last edited by Mooley; 10-01-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Dai Shinzo
VeteranXV
Old
36 - 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
If you're not over 30 or haven't leveled past 30 then I wouldn't even talk about grind =P

There are so many quests and places to explore from 1-30 it's nearly overwhelming.

After that it's a mixture of quest, grind. As people have said you can get **** loads of exp off of elite mobs so while the exp quantities go up quite high later on you can just counter it with killing better ****.

I doubt it'll hold a candle to original hell levels in EQ =]

I hope it weeds people out to be honest. Games like this build community and camaraderie that new MMOs fail to do completely with their practically single player approach and complete lack of penalty with the ease of rerolling to ditch a bad reputation etc. Play time or not if you can't handle not being max level after being a casual player for a month or two then don't play MMO's anymore or stay with WoW. It's not a race especially in a game as good looking and varied as Aion is already, let alone if they start adding more content anytime soon since it's already been out a year in Korea.

Die Hard
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
37 - 10-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Some grinding is definitely needed to level but it's not nearly as bad as that graph shows, i just got from 34 to 35 from all questing. Besides, most of the quests will be to kill ****, it's no different than grinding.

Castle sieges are fun as hell.... if my computer didn't crash every 5 minutes that is, they have some serious memory leaking issues with 64 bit Operating systems in crowded areas.

d0ggy
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
38 - 10-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Did my first training grounds tonight. Netted me about 75% of lvl25.

Madend
VeteranX
Old
39 - 10-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Hard!!{SDB} View Post
Some grinding is definitely needed to level but it's not nearly as bad as that graph shows, i just got from 34 to 35 from all questing. Besides, most of the quests will be to kill ****, it's no different than grinding.

Castle sieges are fun as hell.... if my computer didn't crash every 5 minutes that is, they have some serious memory leaking issues with 64 bit Operating systems in crowded areas.
yeah about 50% through 34 from all quests in just eltnen so far

pvp is definitely a lot of fun, was duoing with a gladiator yesterday around the upper layer of the abyss and we got in a bunch of random 2 v 2 fights and won them all (to my surprise in a few cases). i think finding groups of 2 or 3 in the abyss is gonna be pretty common for small scale pvp fun if you check the grinding spots that are away from the forts/relics as the mobs do indeed give a lot of exp and even some AP in there

also re: crashes i've noticed the same, crowded areas are much more prone to causing them. be sure to check your task manager after a crash to make sure there still isn't a aion.bin running in the background sucking up memory, have had like 2 or 3 running in the past before i caught that.

Sparty
VeteranX
Old
40 - 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Do you lose exp when you die?

Page 2 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Aion
Reload this Page How is this game?

Social Website Bullshit