[OFN?] Odd "spy check" by Feannag - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Team Fortress 2
Reload this Page [OFN?] Odd "spy check"
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I usually get stuck being a medic now since no one else is, but this happened on my usual haunt @ Baron's Pubs. Some may or may not know, when you are a medic and someone calls for you their chat bubble is also an indicator. The bubble itself will be white (perfectly healthy) to bright red (near death) as well as a halo to indicate if they are on fire or not. I presume this is to help prioritize healing targets.

Anyway I had some pyro calling for me, and his bubble was bright red. Naturally I move to heal him since he's really beat up. But then I see him and his health on my target hud comes up as completely full. He's still calling, his chat bubble is bright red and his actual health is white. I move to look like I am healing, pull out the uber saw and smack him twice and he drops dead as an enemy spy. Baron's Pub spies have a habit of disguising as a pyro and calling for a medic to draw medics to them.

Turns out when spies use disguises they also mimic the health of the person they are disguised as. I found this out the hard way when disguised spies look wounded in disguise when they are actually at full health. I'm not entirely sure what happens when you disguise yourself as a class that isn't on the other team (I don't play spy and probably never will) but the health faking under disguises will betray the spy's identity.

I don't know if anyone else caught this, and even then it's too specific and situational for it to be a reliable method of detecting spies based on a few factors.

- You have to be a medic.
- The offended spy needs to call for you.
- His own health and the health of the disguisee needs to be disparate enough to tell.

Thought I'd throw that out there.

Cliffs

- If you are a spy be careful about calling for a medic.
- If you are a medic keep tabs on call chat bubbles versus targeting health, you may find a spy.

Sponsored Links
JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
2 - 07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I've knowingly healed spies before, but told everyone on my team that I'm healing a spy so they should kill him. Fun times.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
I've knowingly healed spies before, but told everyone on my team that I'm healing a spy so they should kill him. Fun times.
I never played a spy long enough to know this, but what does happen when you pick a non-working disguise? Say you try to pick the Sniper disguise and there's no snipers on the other team?

Hellsfury
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
4 - 07-09-2009, 01:51 AM
I shoot Spy's with the Blutsauger. The +3's peeling off a friendly player is a good indication of a doppleganger.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsfury View Post
I shoot Spy's with the Blutsauger. The +3's peeling off a friendly player is a good indication of a doppleganger.
I'm still working on getting my timing down for melee weapon macro on my gamepad. Damn thing should just switch to it on press but it goes to the weapon select with it highlighted and I have to press left-click again to draw it.

Really trying to be a better player as something other than Pyro and Medic though.

SexxxGodSteve
VeteranX
Old
6 - 07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
as a spy i never call for medic. it's probably one of the easiest ways to get caught

scandal
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 07-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
I'm still working on getting my timing down for melee weapon macro on my gamepad. Damn thing should just switch to it on press but it goes to the weapon select with it highlighted and I have to press left-click again to draw it.

Really trying to be a better player as something other than Pyro and Medic though.
You should enable fast weapon switch to have it switch immediately when you press the button.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Team Fortress 2
Reload this Page [OFN?] Odd "spy check"

Social Website Bullshit