[boats] need some recomendations for a new (used) boat

Detox.enD

Veteran XV
I'm going to be looking for a boat this fall/winter. The type of boat I want is like a MasterCraft X1 - however I cannot afford a 50k boat right now :(

I know bayliner makes some similar style boats, but i was wondering if anyone here has experience with other makes/models that are similar style but not as expensive. My parents owned a bayliner long ago, and for a cheap boat it was very good to them. I'm looking for something like that, but want more than the bayliners to look at.

i dont care for bayliners but to each their own.

the biggest difference between an MC X1 and other boats similar in fashion to bayliners (runabouts? bowrunners? wtever...) would be that the MC is inboard and the others are typically going to be IB/OB (sterndrive) or just outboard.

inboards tow quite a bit better and maintain plane in a more steady fashion usually and often at lower speeds. they typically dont go as fast on the top end.

if you plan to ski/ride/etc alot and dont think you would be happy with the tow characteristics of a sterndrive you should look at lower priced inboards like moomba etc...
if not then this discussion would prolly get quite a bit wider.

honestly i would spend a number of hours on boating forums before you drop any money. as many as you can stand to look at.

i plan to use it as a wakeboard/ski boat as well as just recreational use... i like the style, and recognize its geared towards wakeboarding, which would be what i'm looking for..

as for the ib/ob vs ob vs ib thing - my expreience is that ob is easier to work on than ib. that said i'm definatly not against an ib.

also, i'd like as much hp as I can get since that helps with skiing/wakeboarding but i realize thats whats going to make it expensive...

i have an I/O crownline with a tower and perfect pass that i can ride behind with no problem.

but i never do because one of my best friends that we go to the lake with has a malibu 247 that pretty much pales anything else ive ever riden behind.
edit: also if you want to surf you need an inboard.

that said i still dont WISH i had bought an inboard because i really like to cruise around the lake and my boat smokes his in that aspect.

everything is give and take to a certain degree.

mastercraft and bayliner don't make the same kind of boat.

MC are I/B, Bayliners are either I/O or O/B.

The following post I made in another thread explains the differences. Narrow down which you want.
[BOATS] I want one by dr_boom - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums

Also, the reason you see so many cheap Bayliners is because they're built cheap, they have among the thinnest hulls in the industry.

i ride behind either a moomba mobius LSV or a mastercraft x-star.

we have a mastercraft mari-star 245 (i think?) that never gets used.

For wake boarding you want an inboard and any boat designed for wake boarding even used will cost you $15K+. Wake board specific designs have only been around for ~10 years and have always been expensive so even used they remain expensive.

moomba is a generally cheaper alternative that rides a lot like an X1.

Malibu's have a great ride and are generally on the cheaper end of wake boarding boats.

To get a good wake you need a boat with a hull specifically designed for wakeboarding and that doesn't really come cheap.

Good ski boats are cheaper used since they have been around longer and you can get a 15+ year old ski boat and it will ride great. Only problem is a good ski boat has no wake so wake boarding behind one kind of sucks.

they have the pleasure class boats like maxums and bayliners that tend to be a lot cheaper and they have a wake profile between a good ski boat and a good wake boarding boat but not great for either. You can install ballast bags and some monkey bars and get much closer to a wake boarding boat though.

mastercraft and bayliner don't make the same kind of boat.

MC are I/B, Bayliners are either I/O or O/B.

The following post I made in another thread explains the differences. Narrow down which you want.
[BOATS] I want one by dr_boom - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums

Also, the reason you see so many cheap Bayliners is because they're built cheap, they have among the thinnest hulls in the industry.

i was making a reference to the style.

i'm not retarded when it coems to boats, i was pretty much raised on boats/lakes. I'm just not aware of the better brands... i know bayliners make cheap/inexpensive boats, and I know mastercrafts are very expensive. I'm trying to find something in the middle... i see listings for malibu's and moomba's and i've never fucking heard of them :(

i'm basically looking to put together a list of make/model boats that are simliar to the mastercraft X series boats in style, so i can compare them and look for good deals... cause right now I'd be shooting in the dark with most of the ones I see listed because I don't have a clue about how reliable/good moombas are (for example)

There was a thread on boats recently. Older inboards without a V Drive will have the motor in the middle of the boat which makes for pretty annoying layouts.

I/Os are more prone to problems and are more expensive to work on than Inboards. (not sure how you'd ever think otherwise). Inboards plane easier and are nicer at slow speeds and generally better for towing. I/Os generally handle better, can beach better and go a little faster.

It's all give and take, unfortunately in this case there's no real clear winner.

As for what Telos said - a good wakeboarding boat makes wakeboarding more fun and easier, but I've seen people hitting back flips on Telos' lake behind a shitty old Alumacraft hull with an OB.

Last edited:
You pretty much just summarized the link i posted.

I think he's pretty much decided on an I/B and looking for various brands.

http://onlyinboards.com/default.aspx

moomba, malibu and mastercraft are all wonderful.

Gekko isn't bad but they didn't have a wake boarding boat til recently so probably out of your price range.

Those are the 4 brands I have personally ridden/driven

I see a lot of centurions these days but I have no personal experience with them.

that would be what i'm looking for... sorry I wasn't clear with my original post...

I could do all the research myself, i guess, but that'd take forever... i figured ther ehas to be a handful of people on here that have experience with all these different kinds and could (quickly) shed some light on this...

I'll start looking at the moomba's, up until now I wasn't even paying attention to them...

the supra wakeboard boats seem to be pretty new and really fucking expensive(but yes hella nice). A 2001 is still in the 30k range and doesn't have a a board specific hull. Looks like they just strapped monkeybars to their ski boats.

EDIT: whats your price cap?

I think that's what Ski Nautique did, but if I recall correctly the supras looked like they cut pretty deep for a ski hull. I thought the lines were pretty damn similar to the MC boats we saw.

They are VERY flashy though. Mastercraft boats had more class :)

the new ones, in the last 3-4 years, have board specific hulls but he mentioned used.

As far as used wakeboard specific boats the only 3 brands I know of that have ~10 years are mastercraft moomba and malibu and even at ~10 years old you are looking at 15-20k depending on model and condition.

Back