MP3..My new Mark IV, Lead Channel.

Metropolis

Veteran XX
Did this last night at my buddy's home studio. Just a quick metal groove with a lead overdub.

Recorded direct into Logic through a Metric Halo.

Fandalism - 4 minutes of improv metal by john MP3 music

What do you guys think of the the rhythm tone? We didn't go nuts tweaking it, just plugged in and ran. After hearing the new Mark V I wasn't totally impressed with it and decided to pick up a IV strictly to get a great rhythm sound. I think it's pretty damn good.

Rhythm sounds alright, perhaps a bit thin (scooped out) and crunchy, but decent. The lead has good tone, maybe add some delay. With a little layering and a mix it could sound great. Nice work.

We did it that way on purpose...this time..:) I pulled all of the mid out to see just how crunchy it could get. The EQ on the IV is unreal...You can get infinite tonal variation with it.

On the 5 band EQ:
leave 80 and 250 flat.
boost 750 by 3-6dB.
boost 2200 by 2-5dB
cut 6600 by 2-dB or leave flat if you can roll off everything above 5-6kHz.
Roll off everything under 80-100Hz as well.

Crank the shit out of it.

BTW that amp is very well capable of achieving a great tone, but the example you posted sounds like a SS crate amp and a buzzy cab.

If you're happy not having mids with a mid range instrument, just roll off the high end from 5kHz (drums etc. should handle the high end content) and the low end from 100Hz. Make sure the bass cuts through where you cut.

Ok SINep I'm listening to you. I wanted to get a scooped sound and believe it or not I like
that "SS crate" sound for tight rhythms sometimes.

What do you think of this tone?

This is from my triaxis\2:90 setup. mic'd cab although this guy (different from above) wasnt too good with his gear and didnt put much effort into getting me a great recorded sound...still it's not that bad.

Fandalism - original by john MP3 music

Let me know what you think of that.

Last edited:
Ok SINep I'm listening to you. I wanted to get a scooped sound and believe it or not I like
that "SS crate" sound for tight rhythms sometimes.

What do you think of this tone?

This is from my triaxis\2:90 setup. mic'd cab although this guy (different from above) wasnt too good with his gear and didnt put much effort into getting me a great recorded sound...still it's not that bad.

Fandalism - original by john MP3 music

Let me know what you think of that.

That sounds better as far as I can tell. (being a live recording)

Also about my hatred for fizzy high end. I just believe there are some frequencies that shouldn't be present with guitars. ;) That's usually around 7-8khz. You shouldn't have to put a low pass on IF a 6dB or so scoop at 7-8kHz does the trick...

Depends on the mics though... Say you use a 421 close miced off axis and a akg 414 as a room mic you would probably boost the high end for some air. (cutting that nasty 7-8khz of course. ;)

Check this:
http://tinyurl.com/dzhv2e

Never mind the guitar playing (I'm on the right either way) this is old stuff from like 2003.

It shows A) 2 guitar with 3 mics each, a 421 on the front in position 1 I believe, 421 in the back phase reversed, and a akg 414 in the back of the room about 9-12 feet away...

First pass is with my EQing and compression, second pass is w/o EQ and comp.

Seven string guitar tuned to drop A, vetta2 hd and a mesaboogie cab on the left.
Seven string guitar tuned to drop A, pod pro, carvin dcm1500 power amp into a jcm900 marshall 4x12 w/ eminence v12s.

Multi-million dollar studio blah blah.

Check this:
http://tinyurl.com/dzhv2e

Never mind the guitar playing (I'm on the right either way) this is old stuff from like 2003.

It shows A) 2 guitar with 3 mics each, a 421 on the front in position 1 I believe, 421 in the back phase reversed, and a akg 414 in the back of the room about 9-12 feet away...

First pass is with my EQing and compression, second pass is w/o EQ and comp.

Seven string guitar tuned to drop A, vetta2 hd and a mesaboogie cab on the left.
Seven string guitar tuned to drop A, pod pro, carvin dcm1500 power amp into a jcm900 marshall 4x12 w/ eminence v12s.

Multi-million dollar studio blah blah.

Yeah that's fucking heavy as shit. It's also not a very usable sound for my tastes, but it is massive.

I dialed in a creamy lead sound on it tonight using some setting i found online. It is a very versatile head thats for sure.

Back