How much to replace the ac/heater knob? by Blue-Mush - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page How much to replace the ac/heater knob?
Blue-Mush
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 03-23-2009, 16:16
So it used to be super hard to turn the knob from AC to heater and visa versa in my car. So of course it finally breaks and I can't even use plyers to turn the stupid thing.

The AC works fine and the heater works fine it's just the knob and the ability to turn it is what's borked!

Yes I'm a noob about car mechanics. How much would it cost to replace something like this? I live in Texas and the summer is right around the corner. I'm gonna need that AC. I can follow directions pretty easily so if it's simple enough I'd be comfortable in doing it myself.

edit: It's a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer. Not sure if that matters.

Last edited by Blue-Mush; 03-23-2009 at 16:20..
Sponsored Links
MeSlayer
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 03-23-2009, 16:19
go windows down you *****!

i did it for a few years in my old car, the a/c never worked

course, my steering wheel did kind of melt in the texas heat - the top did anyway

damn the dark interior!

telos
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 03-23-2009, 16:54
Shouldn't be hard at all once you find the part. Most of the knobs in my dash (ford explorer) just have plugs on the back so unplug replace knob plug in.

take your dash apart and find out.

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 03-23-2009, 16:57

Blue-Mush
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 03-23-2009, 16:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos View Post
Shouldn't be hard at all once you find the part. Most of the knobs in my dash (ford explorer) just have plugs on the back so unplug replace knob plug in.

Well you can't even turn the stem with plyers. I've taken off the dash to try and inspect just that. But it's deeper than I want to go in the car and be comfortable.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
6 - 03-23-2009, 16:59
just go to a car parts store and have them sell it to you / order it or search for it online.

Ray
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 03-23-2009, 17:00
If you can't even turn the stem with plyers, then the problem isn't going to get fixed by slapping a new knob on there.

HelenKeller
Blind BitchXV
Contributor
Old
8 - 03-23-2009, 17:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos View Post

err, i think this is a different knob, or at least the issue is more than just replacing the outer knob facing

see if you can find the cable that leads to it by reaching up through the opening by your pedals. if you look in there, the cable may look like it's got a plastic (white or black) casing. in fact, the cable is probably hung up on the casing itself.

have you called to see if this is a common issue with lancers? maybe there's a recall

Blue-Mush
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 03-23-2009, 17:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
If you can't even turn the stem with plyers, then the problem isn't going to get fixed by slapping a new knob on there.
I know that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Like what I will need or what I need to do. I'm a complete novice about this stuff.

Blue-Mush
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 03-23-2009, 17:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenKeller View Post
see if you can find the cable that leads to it by reaching up through the opening by your pedals. if you look in there, the cable may look like it's got a plastic (white or black) casing. in fact, the cable is probably hung up on the casing itself.

have you called to see if this is a common issue with lancers? maybe there's a recall
No but I'll check that out. Thanks...that's a start.

telos
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 03-23-2009, 17:08
You'll need to pull the whole dash to replace the knob+the back end part. Well you may be able to pop the radio out and get at it from there. some cars need the whole dash pulled to get the radio out though so that might not be an option.

I was referring to anything after the wire harness as knob.

HelenKeller
Blind BitchXV
Contributor
Old
12 - 03-23-2009, 17:12
yeah if the whole dash needs to come out, the dealership will be happy to overcharge you to fix it, that's for sure

GreyGhost
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 03-23-2009, 17:13
See if it has a very thin nut holding it in the dash, if so you can remove the nut, push the switch back into the dash, and if you're lucky fish it out with your had.

Then plug in the new switch, fish it back up, apply the nut, and you're golden.

Blue-Mush
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 03-23-2009, 17:53
Holy f*cking yah right Batman....I just called Mistsubishi to find out what they'd charge to do it....they said $600 bux giving all this mechanical mumbo jumbo jargin. Give me a break I know it can't be THAT difficult. F*ck them.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
15 - 03-23-2009, 17:56
How about you try a forum that deals with your car instead of some random video game board.

I have a focus and anything I would ever want or need to know can be found at Ford Focus Forums, News, Articles, Message Board Discussions

new_skul
Human Chia Pet++
Old
16 - 03-23-2009, 18:03
part looks like its around $32, about half hour of labor, so you're probably looking at around $100 to have a repair shop take care of it.

edit: looks like your part number is MR 460110

Blue-Mush
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 03-23-2009, 19:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_skul View Post
part looks like its around $32, about half hour of labor, so you're probably looking at around $100 to have a repair shop take care of it.

edit: looks like your part number is MR 460110

Oh dang thanks man!

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page How much to replace the ac/heater knob?

Social Website Bullshit